Anyone tried the new Polar Bird hub house last year?

• Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

I think I recognize the guy in the video )

While I am probably biased I have enjoyed fishing hard out of these. My favorite features are the waterproof floor, the fact you can drag it around the ice without taking it down, and the warmth of the house. The small windows bug me along with the belt loop buckle style bag straps, but those are my only gripes.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

My Dad just got his 4T in October, and it seems pretty solid. Looking forward to putting it to the test!

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

I haven’t found a structural flaw with it yet, and the light fabric is awesome at greenhousing it and warming it up. However, if you want to sight fish…this isn’t a great option IMO.

I am not sure how often anyone would fish in pouring rain but the water resistance is nice too. AND I SOAKED THAT SUCKA!

Andrew Byers
    Allegan, MI

I put my 4T to hard use last season ranging from fishing in the rain to camping on the ice for a weekend. The lighter fabric acts as a green house allowing light in which then gets trapped by the insulation making it nice and toasty. The floor is by far my favorite part though. No more having to anchor the shelter down unless its super windy. The floor anchors the hub to the ice pretty good when you have some equipment in it. I couldn’t believe how much warmer the the shelter is with the floor installed too. Polar Bird definitely has my vote! A few guys in our group are switching over from various other style shelters and manufacturers. Our group will look like a Polar Bird commercial on the ice this year. lol

Andrew Byers
    Allegan, MI

BTW everyone, i was on another forum and saw that Polar Bird is offering 10% off all of their ice shelters if you use the code “THANKS10” when you place your order. looked like it was good until November 27th. I used a similar offer last season when i ordered mine. ;)

Justin Laack
    Austin,mn

I have been lookin at these, the floor is what I think sells it for me, has anyone had issues with the floor freezing down after being setup in the same spot all day?

catnip
    south metro

Any chance they will be on display at the ice fishing show at exell this year?

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

has anyone had issues with the floor freezing down after being setup in the same spot all day?

I have not seen this issue on mine and have sat in it up to 8 hrs in 0deg weather. What helps with this, I believe, is the nature in which you drill the holes. I found it works best to lay just the floor out where you want to fish. Drill about 2″ into the ice in each hole, move the floor, finish your holes, and then clear the slush. After that, install the floor into the hub, and slid the house over your cleaned holes.

I could see it possibly freezing if you drill all the way through the ice with the floor down and have slush sitting on the edges of your floor holes and then that freezing the floor in.

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

Any chance they will be on display at the ice fishing show at exell this year?

From what I know, and though I don’t agree with it, they decided not to do any shows this year.

Andrew Byers
    Allegan, MI

Really? I got to see them at the Detroit (Novi) show last year and had a blast watching people try to break their poles. The booth seemed nice and was full of people too. ( maybe they will change their minds…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.