Anyone Sturgeon Fishing?

• rschmidty

It’s been a pretty quite summer here on the boards regarding Sturgeon fishing. I haven’t been able to get out since my two trips to the Rainy this spring. Young family and all and I probably won’t be getting out on the St. Croix until after Labor Day as well.

I thought in the second year of summer catch and release we would here a little more chatter on people targeting sturgeon. Also, I recently saw a post on FB that someone caught a monster 88×40 sturgeon on the Upper St. Croix.

September can’t come fast enough. I’ll post a report once I finally get out.

FBRM – Have they finally fixed the ramp in Prescott?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’ve dabbled but haven’t had much luck. Last weekend there were a few caught. It has been pretty quiet this year so far.

It is about time to get the Sturgeon on!!

Attachments:
    1. Big-Sturgeon.jpg

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Click on the above photo to get the best view. )

Charlie Vaughan
    On the river

That sturgeon was caught on the upper St.croix?

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Brian Klawitter wrote:</div>
    Click on the above photo to get the best view.

Dude with long hair kissing a sturgeon…NICE rotflol

Dudes don’t have sideboob toast Moth tats are more femmy anyways, that is a really cool pic

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Been hitting the upper croix but sturgeon have been slow. Should start picking up soon. On the other hand sheephead and mooneyes are going crazy.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

That sturgeon was caught on the upper St.croix?

Man I wish. If it was I would be looking for the name of that angler! LOL!

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

Dudes don’t have sideboob

LOL I think you are just imagining the SB, I don’t see any. And if dudes can use chick bathrooms they should be able to get moth tats coffee

mr-special
    MPLS

yesterday was my 1st attempt at sturggies. i tried one of my early season haunts and no dice. maybe a tad early but im thinkin anyday they should start to turn on

Charlie Vaughan
    On the river

The sturgeon have hung around pretty consistently for me this summer. No more than a few bigger ones, but plenty of little guys. Looking forward to catching them this fall though.

Tim Huston

First time caller long time listener.

Does the sturgeon bite typically improve / heat up in the Fall?

I’ve been chasing sturgeon on the Mississippi this summer but with the high water and other personal stuff going on I haven’t had the opportunity to get out fishing as much as I would like. I fear I’m running out of time this year – so that’d be welcome news if the Sturgeon fishing will in fact be strong over the next couple months!

Thanks in advance!

rschmidty

First time caller long time listener.

Does the sturgeon bite typically improve / heat up in the Fall?

For those that get out more than I do, correct me if I’m wrong but since last year was the first year anyone could target sturgeon on the mississippi and st. croix besides the month and a half after labor day, info is still pretty sparse. I would think in general they become a little more concentrated in fall as they chase big schools of shad and at the very least we have a good idea of where to find them in the fall.

I have seen the sturgeon fishing be best when the water temps are between 45 and 55 degrees which puts the time usually late september into october.

Good luck!

Tim Huston

Thank you RS. That is some good news!

Can anyone tell me what kind of sturgeon this is? I would have said Lake Sturgeon but his color is more of a golden yellow or copper so I’m not sure. I’d also say a shovelnose, but his nose isn’t really shaped like a shovel. I caught a Lake Sturgeon in the same place a few days later and he was stone gray.

He was about 28″ long, caught in the Mississippi River.

Attachments:
    1. 20160808_173950_resized_1.jpg

mr-special
    MPLS

imma say laker. it can be kinda hard to tell when theyre younger tho.

ur right sturggies congregate more in the fall and really start hittin the feed bag. usually more easier to target. well at times they are lol

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Can anyone tell me what kind of sturgeon this is?

Definite laker. A shovelnose has a much more skinny tail section.

Attachments:
    1. Shovel-Tail.jpg

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

It’s a Lake. Easiest way to tell is to feel the barbels. If they are smooth it’s a Lake, if they are rough it’s a shovel.

There’s another way of telling as well, but I don’t have pictures handy to show the difference. I’ll try to explain.

If you look at the top of the gill opening a Lake will have a hole there. Shovels don’t.

The hole in the one above can just barely be seen because of the angle the photo was taken at.

Last year the Sturg were going strong in August on P #4. This year with the faster moving water and weeds, add in less people fishing for them because of the high water, it’s been a little slower.

I would think the Croix would be doing well about now because the high water isn’t moving as fast up there. That’s just an assumption on my part.

mr-special
    MPLS

at 1st glance i thought it was a shovel but then FBMR pointed out the tail section
    i didnt know about the barbel or the hole. then agian i catn remember the last time i caught a shovel.
    actually cant remember the last time i caught any sturggies =(

they havent been goin strong yet on the criox but im hoping any day now

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

at 1st glance i thought it was a shovel but then FBMR pointed out the tail section

Oh, did he??? rotflol

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Ah, we’re not all privy to text messages. I thought Phil was referring to my post.

mr-special
    MPLS

right now ill be happy with either shovel or laker lol

Tim Huston

Brian, I believe this is the hole by the gill opening you referenced. Plain as day. Good to know!

Attachments:
    1. sturgeon-head.jpg

Pike1401
    Waconia

I’d like to go sturgeon fishing for the first time this weekend. From what I’ve read, try to drop down on the front of a hole on the St. Croix with a hook full of crawlers and/or minnows… I still have some questions though: Is there any depth that is better than others? Is it typically a day-bite or night-bite? I was thinking of going out Stillwater or Lakeland.

mr-special
    MPLS

This may sound very vague but really you can catch them in shallow water or Deepwater it really depends on the location for me.
    I personally target 20 to 30 foot range But have caught them as shallow as 5’and deep as 45′. Early-season for me seems to be evening into the night bite but as fall comes around I caught them in mid day.

3-5 fatheads on a hook, cut suckers can b good also. My best luck is on Shad. Fresh or once frozen not preserve stuff

Please make sure you have heavy enough gear and a big landing. Get them in quick I’m back quick good luck

rschmidty

You can certainly catch fish at any time and there maybe times where fishing during the day is better but i think the St. Croix has typically been more of a night bite. Also, much less boat traffic at night.

Worms, fat head minnows, or even cutbait can work but the best/most dedicated catch their own shad which is definitely bait of choice.

rschmidty

Sorry to repeat some of your points Mr. Special. Slow typing on the phone.

I would also add that a hole or spot that looks fishy is good starting point but then drive around until you actually mark fish. Once you do, anchor and fish. Move after 45 minutes or so if you aren’t catching anything and the move doesn’t have to be far.

Pike1401
    Waconia

Thanks for the tips. We have heavy flathead/musky gear so I think I’ll be okay in that department. Is the Lake St. Croix section south of 94 any better/worse for sturgeon in your experience than the narrower sections of the river to the north of Hudson?

Tim Huston

Hey Pike what style and size hooks will you be using?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 76 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.