Anyone know anything about 5 horse push mowers?

• Kevin Collins
    Apple Valley, MN.

I know this has nothing to do with fishing or hunting. But… It’s for my lot on Mille Lacs to mow the grass so it’s kinda related. and it is outdoors.

Anyway… I have a little 5 horse push mower that is not running. My son put a carburetor kit in it at home and it ran fine. Then when we took it to Mille Lacs it wouldn’t start. When i would push the primer ball it would not spray gas into the carburetor. So I sprayed some carburetor cleaner in there and it would run long enough to burn of the fluid. So I bought a new spark plug and air filter. Still no luck. So I took it apart and my son had put the gasket on the wrong side of the diaphragm. So I switched it and the primer ball started working and it would start. However now it sits there and just revs. it act like its going to die and the rev up like it’s going to run. I cannot get it to run smooth at high rpm.

Any thoughts? New carburetor kit maybe?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

New mower can be had for $100 go get one.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Must sound exactly like my neighbors mower. Sorry I’m no help, but it’s very annoying I bet. I listen to his all the time

Kevin Collins
    Apple Valley, MN.

Ha… spent all my money on Musky Lures. I have to make this one work.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

He put the carb back together wrong, the chasing up and down has to do with the governor spring being hooked into the right hole on the carb and the lever on the side of the block. This keeps the rpms at a set speed with out you could over rev the motor.

Kevin Collins
    Apple Valley, MN.

He put the carb back together wrong, the chasing up and down has to do with the spring being hooked into the right hole on the carb and the lever on the side of the block. This keeps the rpms at a set speed with out you could over rev the motor.

I’m trying to remember myself now Bigcrappie. I think there was only one way to connect that rod. I think I know exactly which one you’re talking about too… I tried putzing with that and it didn’t seem to do anything constructive. I tried taking the spring off and seeing if it did anything… and that didn’t help. I tried moving it manually and that didn’t help. Unless the spring and rod are on the wrong ends of the cam. The weird part is it ran fine at home. As soon as we brought it to the lake the bottom fell out.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Ya something is not right, hopefully its a easy fix LOL
    I would pull the carb off and pull it apart and make sure all rebuild parts are in the right place facing the right way ect. It always help to take pics as you take stuff apart. You may be able to see a You tube video of someone rebuilding that carb. You tube has saved my butt before……

Kevin Collins
    Apple Valley, MN.

yet another good point Bigcrappie… Youtube IS a good resource. I’ve learned how to smoke ribs, tie texas and caralina rigs, restore my boat and repair my car over the years from Youtube. LOL…

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

o I switched it and the primer ball started working and it would start. However now it sits there and just revs. it act like its going to die and the rev up like it’s going to run. I cannot get it to run smooth at high rpm.

A few ideas. This is assuming that per BC’s post, you rebuilt the carb correctly and all seals are in the right place, right orientation, etc.

BTW it may help if you can tell us what brand is the engine? Mower brand means nothing, we need the engine make. Briggs, Honda, Tecumseh, etc.

1. You can test the carb’s function by starting the engine and then carefully holding the little throttle linkage plate on the carb in one place. This is the little part that controls the thottle plate in the carb.

The engine should continue to run at the same speed as long as you hold the plate in place. Opening the throttle plate a little by turning this little linkage plate should make the engine speed up. Move it slowly and carefully.

If this test does NOT work then this points to issues with the carb so see item 3. If test works and mower runs when you hold the throttle open, see 2.

2. If carb runs per above test, then you may have a problem with the throttle linkage to the governor is in the right hole on the carb side? Most carbs had multiple holes to accommodate different applications getting the governor linkage hooked up to the right hole is critical.

On the same note, make sure the linkage is assembled correctly. I can’t give more specifics than that, but for example, some linkages had a spring that slid over the top of the governor/throttle link, etc.

3. If the engine did not respond correctly per item 1 above, you probably still have a carb issue. Try these:

a. Is the float height set correctly and is the float needle moving freely with the retention clip in the proper place?
    b. Did the main jet needle adjustment screw get turned in when the float bowl was being installed?
    c. Is the fuel line hose cracked or split where it enters the carb?

If you still can’t figure it out, my advice would be to buy a new Chinese carb on eBay or Amazon. I believe these carbs are not knockoffs but are actually coming from the same factories that make the OEM carbs. I have compared these Chinese carbs to the old units and they often identical right down to the casting marks and blemishes.

To be honest with you, I rarely rebuild carbs any more on small 2 and 4 stroke equipment these days. It’s just not worth my time. Most Briggs and Tecumseh small engine carbs can be bought on eBay for less than $15. I’ve been astonished at how well they work for the price. In just the past few months I’ve done carbs for Tecumseh, Stihl, and Briggs engines and all of them have started in 3 or less pulls and basically run fine out of the package. Worst case was tweaking the jets for max performance and setting the idle, a 2 minute process at most.

Grouse

Kevin Collins
    Apple Valley, MN.

Great stuff Grouse. It’s a briggs and stratton. The carb does not have a float. It has that little paper diaphragm thing with a gasket.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

To be honest with you, I rarely rebuild carbs any more on small 2 and 4 stroke equipment these days. It’s just not worth my time. Most Briggs and Tecumseh small engine carbs can be bought on eBay for less than $15. I’ve been astonished at how well they work for the price. In just the past few months I’ve done carbs for Tecumseh, Stihl, and Briggs engines and all of them have started in 3 or less pulls and basically run fine out of the package. Worst case was tweaking the jets for max performance and setting the idle, a 2 minute process at most.

Grouse

[/quote]

This is a good idea. If you pay much attention to small motors at all these days a new carb is actually cheaper then a rebuild kit. I’ve noticed this on my old 2 stroke lead blower and auger and a weed whacker. Not sure why that is now. But I bet you can find a entire new carb for real cheap.
    I have a 10 or 11 year old craftsman push mower. I’ve been waiting for it to die for a couple years. But every season 2 pushes of the primer and 1 pull it fires up. It smokes a bit and I add what ever oil is on the shelf. Some times thick oil from my power stroke some times 0w 20 from wifes car. Very rarely does it actually get small motors oil. I’m not sure if i lucked out or if craftsman back then made a sweet mower. I have never once winterized it and it just wont stop

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

I’m not sure if i lucked out or if craftsman back then made a sweet mower. I have never once winterized it and it just wont stop

Had one exactly the same. $10 from a garage sale. Ran like a top for 10+ years. Kids ran it with no oil a couple times before it finaly passed away.

Kyhl
    Savage

Not recommended. I bought one of those the first year we had a place on ML. Gave it away at the beginning of the second season. Bought a new mower for home and brought the (now) 14 year old Toro up there.
    This Spring the 14 year old Toro started on the second pull, with last year’s gas still in the tank.

Get a new one for the home a bring the old one up. You will be way ahead of the game.

Kevin Collins
    Apple Valley, MN.

***************UPDATE******************
    Put a brand new $40 carburetor in it and now it runs like a new mower. Thanks for all the help guys.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.