Anyone else about to give up this year?

• mrpike1973

Tried to get out this weekend, everywhere I went you drill a hole and within minutes 4-5 inches of slush. I was so tired out just trying to walk out 50 yards. By the time this snow melts to walk on again it will be unsafe correct? I’m usually a go getter but this is tough smash

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

I hear you. Lake access is tough statewide.
    I’m still holding out hope for a late ice bite after the snow melts but it will all depends on temperature.
    If the snow melts relatively slowly we’ll have good ice yet after it’s gone. If we jump right into summer and get real warm temps it could be close.
    I’m not giving up yet. Looking forward to close to 2 months of ice fishing remaining.

Jeff Telander

I love late ice. It can be sketchy, but the fishing can be great! Generally the shoreline will go first and the remaining ice is still walkable. You just need to get to it. I’ve used planks, canoes, hip boots, even an extension ladder to get out. So I’m not giving up yet. Just taking a break for now.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

Where are you from?

Find some big nearby lakes and contact their resorts. Many of them maintain plowed roads on the lake. Some charge a few bucks, some don’t. Reward them with a burger and a beer, and a thank-you.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

We dont have resorts near us. And lakes are awful. I’m done for the year again till rainy river on the 20th.
    Boat is out and ready for pool 4. So I dont have much down time and always trying to keep a line wet

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

We had an annual group outing planned for Saturday and after calling and asking around, determined that anywhere we’d go would be so limited in the areas to fish it probably would be more an exercise than much if any fish catching. And that was before the 5+ inches we got on Friday.

Hard to say now what will become of the rest of the ice season. ???

curleytail

I’m probably about done fishing inland lakes until it warms ip enough to melt or settle the snow some. It’s a lot of work slogging out by foot and I don’t own anything with tracks.

Access once the snow settles probably depends on what type of weather we get but I’m sure we’ll all be able to get out again for some late season fishing.

This week is supposed to be cold, but if we get some sun there’s a surprising amount of energy in the sun this time of year and it can knock the snow depth down pretty quickly is we get some normal weather.

It sucks right now but we’ve had conditions like this before. It will improve before the ice is unfishable.

Lack of travel does have me thinking ahead to some Green Bay walleyes once that opens up though.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

We have plenty of roads plowed around Alexandria, so getting the wheelhouses out is not an issue. As far as off the beaten path… you will need a tracked vehicle or snowmobile. Plenty of crappie and sunfish to be had.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

We have plenty of roads plowed around Alexandria, so getting the wheelhouses out is not an issue. As far as off the beaten path… you will need a tracked vehicle, atv or snowmobile. Plenty of crappie and sunfish to be had.

I’ll get board at home and call you one of these weekends. I want to come out that way.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Been done since February. I can’t take it anymore. Hope for late ice but it may be memorial before I get the boat out? Gonna be some serious high water this year!

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I don’t want to give up yet but it is a lot of work to go out and only fish for the 2 hours my son will stay out.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

I don’t think ice will be in jeopardy any time soon. Should be some fishing into April especially north.

This week is supposed to be cold, but if we get some sun there’s a surprising amount of energy in the sun this time of year and it can knock the snow depth down pretty quickly is we get some normal weather.

I actually had a puddle of water in my driveway on Sunday. There was certainly some road salt contributing to it but standing water with a high temp of 0 degs. A high sun angle with exposed asphalt can do more heating than you think.

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

I’m not even close to done. Im out every chance the wife gives me. It’s lots of extra work now, but worth it. I’m portable only, unless a friend has a house out. Once the ice is gone, I’ll miss terribly til after deer season.
    How many more big slabs to catch n release, and how many more meals of golden filet’s are waiting???

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20190301_102517198.jpg

2. IMG_20190118_181433353.jpg

bigstorm
    Southern WI

Supposed to be heading out to Devils Lake late this week, still planning on it unless there is bad weather over the weekend (some sites say there is another snow storm coming, others dont)

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Give it up?!?! …More like get started again

I generally “give it up” from the first of the year until middle of March when there is 18+” of ice and crowds of people roaming all over with vehicles. I’m just getting the itch to start getting back out every weekend and a night or two each week. The late ice bite is so much nicer with no people, wheelhouses, and the warm sun beating down…not to mention a bite that is as good or better than first ice.

bigpike

Give up? Give up? I don’t think so

Nothings over til we say its over!
    When the Germans bombed pearl harbor did we give up?
    Hell no!

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

Hell no!

doah hah

Pailofperch

Hell no!

roll roll doah ???

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Heck with the ice, I see someone is already trolling!

zooks

Hell no!

Forget it, he’s rolling…

zooks

I’m with bucky on this one – nice weather, light pressure, and a good bite make late ice panfishing one of my favorite things to do. I hope the melt cooperates with my schedule so I can get out there a few times…

bigpike

Heck with the ice, I see someone is already trolling!

Trolling. I don’t think so…

Spent the whole day out there Saturday and it was beautiful. To slushy and to much snow to troll.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I was almost to that point after my snowmobile crapped out on me. So I’m pretty much limited to walking. However with all the houses having to be off the lakes there are a lot of new roads that will make it a little easier.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I generally “give it up” from the first of the year until middle of March

So you essentially sit out the entire walleye/northern pike season? shock

I like panfishing or jerking perch once I in awhile, but if I didn’t get out for walleye and pike…I might as well give up ice fishing altogether. crazy

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I gave up after the new years weekend storm!!!!!!!! flame :???::???: evil

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buckybadger wrote:</div>
    I generally “give it up” from the first of the year until middle of March

So you essentially sit out the entire walleye/northern pike season? shock

I like panfishing or jerking perch once I in awhile, but if I didn’t get out for walleye and pike…I might as well give up <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>ice fishing altogether. crazy

90% of my fishing is done on the river. There are no closed seasons. During the dog days of winter when the ice is thick, oxygen is low, the bite is slow, and people are everywhere driving on the ice…I get a lot of projects done around the house and jump in with a few friends open water fishing. I still fish a bit during the dead of winter, but mainly only if someone else really wants to go.

Two weeks from now when the ice is empty because you’re forced to hoof it everywhere, I’ll put in a lot more time. The whole wheelhouse thing or sitting over 20+” of ice in a neighborhood of fellow anglers who drive all over has never tripped my trigger, but to each their own. I’ve found the early and late ice to be 10x more productive and less crowded to boot. It’s a perfect fit for what I enjoy.

TheCrappieFisherman
    West Metro

We have plenty of roads plowed around Alexandria, so getting the wheelhouses out is not an issue. As far as off the beaten path… you will need a tracked vehicle or snowmobile. Plenty of crappie and sunfish to be had.

Was in Ottertail Co. this past weekend and plowed roads can be found on a few lakes, we got around on snowmobiles on others. Options are limited but not impossible. opportunities to fish are out there!

Pailofperch

I know it’s cold, snowy, and gross, but…..

Attachments:
    1. 50784608_1818545841582800_6135959917388890112_n.jpg

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.