Anybody an auto body man?

• jbg1219
    NW Iowa

I have an older cat eye chevy truck that has been a pretty good horse for me, but the rust on the rear wheel arches is getting worse by the day. I got a quote and new box sides is not much cheaper than buying a rust free box from the south and painting it to match. Is there a reason to not just put a different box on it? I would like the rust repair to last at least 5 years. Finding a used 3/4 ton that is not beat to hell is pretty hard, and even harder to find one for a price I am willing to pay. I am lucky to get 8K miles a year on my truck, so I cannot justify spending the money they are getting for them.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Not an autobody man but whatever way you go for the repair check around on some kind of rust preventive to treat it.

I have an older cat eye chevy truck that has been a pretty good horse for me, but the rust on the rear wheel arches is getting worse by the day. I got a quote and new box sides is not much cheaper than buying a rust free box from the south and painting it to match. Is there a reason to not just put a different box on it? I would like the rust repair to last at least 5 years. Finding a used 3/4 ton that is not beat to hell is pretty hard, and even harder to find one for a price I am willing to pay. I am lucky to get 8K miles a year on my truck, so I cannot justify spending the money they are getting for them.

Yes sir.. I have learned some amazing tricks and lessons from my grandfather who is the smartest man I have ever met. You definitely should do what you were thinking about or talking about doing replacing anything and everything that the rust has ever been close or on,, Cause like u said in just 2 or 3 years you will just keep loosing fender well unfortunately that rust will spread faster and is Cancer for your body. Down here where I’m at. There are so many great and affordable salvage yards here. Yeah it will never go away. I had an 85 s10 4×4 that came straight from northern MO. After we tried to cut the rust out and start fabbing, so much cheaper to get a whole new rear cab and ordered 2 brand new front fenders. Cause they were cheaper that way

You are you saying that Ryno Lyning or that spray on powder coating? Will stop the deteriorating metal? Yes it could and would be a good temporary bandaid / Especially if you didn’t care what your truck looked like. Just spend the money and make original again. I didn’t replace mine until I had already learned the hard way. I used to sawzall and tried to cut out all the rust and then rebondo it and do a lot of body work trying to build the fenders back. Do not waste your time they will just keep resting they will create holes in cavities in the metal and the bondo over time will crack and fall off and you’ll never be happy cause that rust is killer.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Go with a new box the rest is just wasting time and money, as long as you are taking the box off clean up the frame and brake lines etc before the box is reinstalled. Check around you may be able to find a box with your color which would save a few bucks. Other option would be go to an aluminum flat bed spend`y but done for a life time.

munchy
    NULL

I see most of those trucks have cut out the bad stuff and covered it with a fender flare/cover. As long as the rust is removed and the exposed metal is sealed it won’t spread any further.

Looks ok and a fairly quick and easy job.

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

Flat bed would be great, but I need to have one with a topper of sorts. I haul alot of gear and like to leave it in there for the season. Tent/ camping supplies in the spring and summer. Waterfowl blinds and etc in the fall and then ice fishing equipment in the winter. I always thought I would just put a flat bed on it when it was time until I found a color matched topper that fit a couple years ago. Now I cannot give that up. Way too handy. I think I will start to look for a bed and go from there. If anybody knows of a 6.5 foot rust free bed, preferably in blue, shoot me a message!!

Stanley

I am a body tech and from my experience (18yrs) I would just find a nice rust free box and replace the whole thing. Unless your ok with a few dents and scratches I don’t think you will find a box in color that wouldn’t need to be fixed and painted so I would just look for as clean of one as possible and have it painted to match and line-x the inside. The rust starts from the inside so by the time you notice it on the outside it’s too late. I have replaced many box sides where there was no rust showing on the outside but was already started on the inside. Some as new as only 4yrs old. If you go to http://www.car-parts.com you can enter year make model what your looking for and search radius and it will show all the salvage yards with what your looking for and condition of the item.

sji

I bought a rust free box that came from Arizona. The company was from Mo. He told it was rust free and it was perfect. Cost was two grand and I undercoated myself. Super easy with it up side down in my shop. If you want the number PM me.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

You can check Book of Faces there are many rust free boxes listed on and off there.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.