Any spear fisherman here?

• Dave maze
    Isanti

I just started this year. Catching them on tipups is 10x easier than spearing.

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

Grew up spearing with my grandpa in Grand Rapids. Some of my best memories sitting out there with him as a kid. Something I’ve always wanted to get back into.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Just wondering if there are any pike spearers on here?

Been doing it for a couple years now. Carve my own decoys and made my own spear. I live in Iowa and have to travel out of state to participate. I’ll be leaving this Friday for a few days of angling and spearing in northern MN.

Attachments:
    1. 20190107_114923.jpg

2. 20190111_155430.jpg

3. FEB_02_2019.jpg

4. 20190125_070225.jpg

5. JAN_24_2019.jpg

slowpoke
    Perham Mn

I’ve been doing it for the last 47 yrs. Nothing like sitting in the dark house watching the bottom. Just me and the dog toasty warm in the peace and quiet. Been a tough yr around here. All the lakes I spear on are seriously flooded. Sadly the house is in the yard as we speak. May put it back out after this cold snap.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I haven’t been spearing since before dad passed away.

Sure love looking a the live decoy or playing with the wooden one and then a schnoz suddenly appears out of no where!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I don’t remember the last time I saw a spear fisherman under the age of 60. There’s a few participants left (as one can see on here), but its literally a dying sport. In recent years, the state of Minnesota has barely eclipsed the 10,000 count dark house license sales mark.

My Father has a spear house that he has used on and off for years now but the ice conditions are so poor this year that he said it will remain in his shed. Its a complete bit** when you get a big thaw followed by a freeze to get that house out.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Where’s Glenn? I know he thinks he’s a spearer.

And kudos on those dekes Dave. Nice looking.

Darell Golly

I have been spearing for about 5 years. I really love the sport! I have craved a few decoys for my own use. Nothing fancy for sure but it is a big thrill when a fish comes in.

Darell Golly

A nice 28 inch I got the other day.

Attachments:
    1. 20200119_100725.jpg

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Where’s Glenn? I know he thinks he’s a spearer.

And kudos on those dekes Dave. Nice looking.

i’m here!!!!!!!!! waytogo waytogo i breathe spear chuckin. i am 62 however but i’ve been looking down a spear hole since i was 6 years old. i couldnt wait to be able to sit in the house by myself.

unfortunately i didnt even buy a license this year. i usually spend 99.5% of my time up in itasca county and the lakes are horrible up there.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

toms correct……….dave thats some nice carving. there’s couple that really closely resemble the bear creek decoys that need to fill with water. resemble a northern. we call them pokeys for the slow circle around the hole when you play the decoy.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Glenn57,
    Good eye on deciphering the pattern. 1st time out with the wonder bread paint scheme yielded good results.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I haven’t in a few years, but my Dad and his buddy do quite a bit in Hubbard county area and a couple buddies that do in central MN.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Glenn57,
    Good eye on deciphering the pattern. 1st time out with the wonder bread paint scheme yielded good results.

that’s my favorite decoy. Also have the same one in a green, orange kinda florescent color. Unfortunately the newer don’t look as good anymore.

Again those are some nice decoys.

?????

Everybody shows pike, pike, pike and the controversy ensues. Our main goal spearing was always whitefish and tullibee, with a pike as a bonus. Have you ever had fresh white fish fresh out of the water not frozen and deep fried? Tough to beat. Used to see 8+ pound white fish on lakes around here but unfortunately that has changed but some quality spearing is still available. Talk about the choice of selective harvest at its best you can see everything and choose what you want to take!!

Darell Golly

Speared a few whitefish a couple years ago. I smoked them, they were so good!

Gordio

Little late on this one, but I got into spearing a couple years ago. Got my buddy his first pike this year.

I’ve come to the conclusion that I just love watching fish. I think that’s also a major reason I like bowfishing at night. So staring down a spear hole is fun for me. Sight fishing the sunnies and bass between seeing pike is just flat fun.

I’ve also passed on more pike than I’ve speared. I need to find a better pickling recipe that isn’t so sweet.

rubberduck
    east bethel

Yep!

Attachments:
    1. 20181214_112853.jpg

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.