Any New Hot Lures For You this Year

• FryDog62

Lure #3 Review

POOP BAITS

I tend to resist the trendy/goofy lures but picked up a pack of Deps Cover Scats earlier this year as a joke to send one of my buddies. I was going to put it on his lawn and tell him to clean up after his dog.

Then, about a month ago I was fishing with another friend on a lake that we fish a lot together. The heat wave had hit and we only caught a couple small fish on the usual high percentage spots. So I rigged up a 3.5 inch Cover Scat… he laughed. I cast it out (the thing sails!). It had that familiar “plop” when it hit the water, and then I let it sink to the bottom in 10 feet of water for about 15 seconds. Just then I looked down and saw my slack line jump and said “Oh CRAP, something hit my lure.” I set the hook and the next thing you know, my rod bent over and the drag squeeled. He thought I was kidding until a 20 inch largemouth broke the surface. He netted the fish for me, and said “Well SH!T now you have to buy more of that crap.

And I did – I bought the 2.5 and 3.5 Cover Scats and the 3 inch Fish Arrow “Heavy Poop.” The 2.5 inch Deps is great on a BFS set up, and the 3 inch Fish Arrow in “Pumpkin/Shart” has been about the perfect size and color for smallmouth. But the 3.5 Deps has been lights out for largies. They float down horizontally like a wacky worm (only faster) and once on the bottom you can twitch and dart them like a fleeing crayfish. They are usually Texas rigged and fairly weedless. Skip like a dream under docks…

The downside to the poop category is that most offerings are JDM and very expensive – about a “deuce” per bait. They last maybe 3-4 fish unless you bring some Mend-it. The good news is that the Missile Baits “Bomba” will be pinched out and released later this Fall on Omnia and TW. They are about half the price of the JDM defecants. Haven’t fished them yet, so I don’t know if they work as well, but $5.69 a bag sounds much better. Hope they smell as good/bad(?) as the Deps special added “Taste & Flavor.” Gulp ~

Overall Grade: A

One final review coming soon…

Good timing… Tactical Bassin’ just dropped this video today. Which lure do you think you’d like best?

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I saw that. Couldn’t help but think it was not a video I should be opening at work! rotflol

Viewing 2 posts - 61 through 62 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.