Another Weed Walleye question

• matthewkolden

So I fish mainly metro lakes due to not having time to really get out of town often. Two little kids at home and a busy work schedule limits my travel time.

That all said, I know walleye can be found in the metro, and my suspicion is that they hang in the weeds more than anything. The problem I find is so many of the lakes are so incredibly weed choked I have no clue how to get in there and find the walleye. I’ve spent more time than I care to admit pulling spinners and cranks over the tops of weeds in 10-17 FOW with almost nothing to show for it (at least no walleye). I’ve caught a couple here and there, but never to where I can put a real pattern together, or repeat that success.

So my question is, on these super densely weeded metro lakes, am I right to think most walleye are hanging in the weeds, and if so, how the heck do you get in there to find them? I’ve tried throwing jigs and swimbaits into said weeds but all that happens is I catch weeds (who would have thought?).

So, this admittedly rookie walleye guy is looking for advice from you seasoned vets out there. Thanks in advance.

Kevin

Water temps are high kind of a mid summer pattern starting. You could try pulling spinners or cranks off the edge of the weeds. if there is any mid lake structures i would try there rather than shorelines, but if not slip bobber may help you get into the weeds where fish may be.

catmando
    wis

Here’s a few tips , have a good fish finder with GPS, do more looking than fishing, if you don’t have a idea what to do, look for hard bottom area’s in the weeds, it will be less weeds there ,hot spot. Don’t troll over shallow fish with big motor, use trolling motor ,cast parallel to weeds,look for weeds extending from wall of weeds, that don’t grow to surface, run your lures over top and down outer edge, projection from weed line and deep turns are key areas, catch a fish ,mark the spot,their most likely more. DK.

Jeff Fitzpatrick

I’ve had some luck targeting eyes just off the weedline. They seem to get on clean bottoms and actively hunt right around sunset. If you find a point near weeds with bait on it, you should be able to pick up some fish at primetime.

tim hurley

Or get out of the metro where the #s are poor. When the numbers of fish are high you will feel like a pro-low numbers not so much. Lakes south of the metro will be fishable in about a month (they are slime buckets now) Lakes south can be boom/bust so get good intel-good luck

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.