Another TV Question- Streaming

• CaptainMusky

CPTMusky, How is DirecTV Stream a year into it? Just moved north and looking at non-cable options

I love it! We dont have the fastest internet (DSL), but I never have issues. My kids are gaming all the time and my wife streams her shows as well. My only complaint is that I cannot install the directv stream app on my tv but that is because of the brand tv I have not the app itself.

empty_stringer
    Wahkon, Mn

I should’ve noted I’m now in Wahkon Mn. I know different areas have different issues, some network negotiations etc.

empty_stringer
    Wahkon, Mn

I can run the app through a firestick or something similar, correct?

slough

Another option is Fubotv. Same price as Hulu or Youtube and you get Bally. Picked it up this spring when I was optimistic about the Twins. I don’t watch a lot of TV in the spring/summer but it seems good. I had Hulu before and I think it had a little more for movies, so I may switch back this fall. Sure hope Bally goes away next year!

I have been streaming for about 5 years. Used firesticks for a few years and a couple went caput so at the advice of some friends switched to a Roku – been good. You should have no issues with slow/choppy streaming unless your internet is bad. I had some issues early on in my streaming days and I called my ISP and they switched a setting on my router (something like 2.4 ghz to 5 ghz) and cleared that up.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

You should have no issues with slow/choppy streaming unless your internet is bad. I had some issues early on in my streaming days and I called my ISP and they switched a setting on my router (something like 2.4 ghz to 5 ghz) and cleared that up.

I’ll have to look into this. My streaming is choppy on a regular basis. I hate it when I am watching live sports, especially hockey or football.

hottoddytipup
    Crystal

After years of streaming (starting with PlayStation Vue) I have gone full circle and went back to xfinity TV and bundled it with my internet. It is slightly cheaper after the recent YouTube tv price increase. Xfinity has a streaming so you can sign into a firestick and watch wherever you want too. As much as I dislike the cable companies take another look at them especially if you already have your internet through them. I have no contract with them either so I can leave whenever I want.

slough

After years of streaming (starting with PlayStation Vue) I have gone full circle and went back to xfinity TV and bundled it with my internet. It is slightly cheaper after the recent YouTube tv price increase. Xfinity has a streaming so you can sign into a firestick and watch wherever you want too. As much as I dislike the cable companies take another look at them especially if you already have your internet through them. I have no contract with them either so I can leave whenever I want.

I thought this might be the way to go being I wanted to be able to watch the Twins. Internet is about $75, as is Fubo. Midcontinent, our cable provider in my area, quoted me $190 a month for regular cable. No thanks. Your mileage might vary.

CaptainMusky

I have a feeling that cable providers are going to start dropping their rates because of all the alternate options out there.

MX1825

I have a feeling that cable providers are going to start dropping their rates because of all the alternate options out there.

I doubt that will happen. Just like everything else the streamers will raise their prices to match cable/satellite. doah

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

So after several conversations with DTv about lowering my price and it creeping back up 3 months later… after 25 years of satelite tv, I cut the cord 4 years ago!!! I have an old Sony that we purchased before Smart tv’s showed up and it took Ruko just fine. We are in an area where there is no cable, so our only alternative is to hotspot our phones. Back in the day that was our solution for work internet for our computers. We got 15 GB to use tween our two phones. We upgraded our contract to provide us 60 GB for the same dollars since the cord cutting, but we can only use 30 GB for each phone. Of course if we use our phone exclusively, there is no charge for data. We use YouTubeTv and with the phone app, I use it during the mail route on the weekends to listen to games on the B1G and other regular networks. We use antenna tv for our regular networks. I would say we watch a lot more PBS because regular tv is such crap. As for the Bally, it sucks, the app sucks and I’m spending 10 bucks a mont h with the TuneIn app to listen to Uecker in case it is his last season… Also have been able to get YouTube app into Roku and as a high school sports fan, I was able to download the NFHS Network and can watch all sorts of high school sports from it for 11 bucks a month and search for other high school sports alternatives on youtube itself. Sorry for the rambling…

Mark

BoatsHateMe
    Between Pool 2 and Pool 4

After 27 years of crappy DSL (4-5 mbps) we finally got fiber with 1G service from Bevcomm. We have been using DirecTV dish for the past couple of decades I’m sure. Not a lot to complain about except for weather interruptions but that was enough to look forward to the switch to Bevcomm’s TV pkg.

Turns out their internet TV is not great at all. The remotes suck, small buttons on a huge remote with spongy buttons that respond slowly, if they do at all which leads to double pressing and chaos. Unlike DIRECTV if I pause live TV I can no longer fast forward to catch up. If for whatever reason I need to pause something I now have to hit record and watch the recording. Also, if I pause, then in pause, when it gets to the end of the show it starts all over from the beginning instead of playing the next show. Very strange and Groundhog Day like. It’ll do that as long as I keep the TV on and/or stay on that channel.

I looked at YouTube TV which doesn’t look bad except there is no History Channel (or A&E I think which the History Channel is part of). There are some shows like Alone and others I enjoy.

I do want to be able to record Live TV on local channels for football, NASCAR, Jeopardy or whatever else. I can receive them with my antenna to watch them.

The Hulu sight is not very intuitive on what they actually offer. I think it’d be easier if they’d publish the channels they DON’T offer but of course that’ll never happen. I really don’t want to be stuck with this Bevcomm BS or go back to DIRECTV.

BoatsHateMe
    Between Pool 2 and Pool 4

SlingTV seems to have everything except the local channels. However I just discovered the clowns that hooked us up and switched us over from DIRECTV didn’t hook back up our antenna. So now I get to call them back to come out and get that done.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I do want to be able to record Live TV on local channels for football, NASCAR, Jeopardy or whatever else. I can receive them with my antenna to watch them.

The Hulu sight is not very intuitive on what they actually offer.

Hulu Live+ can record live TV. As far as the channels offered I think it varies by your location, so that is likely why they don’t list it online. I’d try and chat with them, that works great for any service issues I’ve had.

slough

The Hulu sight is not very intuitive on what they actually offer. I think it’d be easier if they’d publish the channels they DON’T offer but of course that’ll never happen. I really don’t want to be stuck with this Bevcomm BS or go back to DIRECTV.

Seems fairly straightforward…enter your zipcode for more details. https://www.hulu.com/time-to-have-hulu-live-tv

Attachments:
    1. hulu.png

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I have been looking to cut the cord from Comcast as well, after my bill went from 179.00 to 220 last month. I went into the Xfinity store and asked them to explain why I shouldn’t leave them for streaming. They had me switch the account from my name to my wife’s name. That got me the new member rate of $140 locked in for two years. I guess I have that amount of time to hope someone comes out with a decent way to get live sports without having to pay for 4 different services.

That Hulu Sight looks like it has everything I want but at $76 dollars a month plus I think Xfinity internet is like $90 now, what’s the difference…..

Nevermind. Doesn’t have Bally…..

Viewing 16 posts - 31 through 46 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.