Another Mille Lacs Icon Closing Up Shop?

• BigWerm
    SW Metro

Wow.I haven’t followed this thread for awhile. Since the subject has shifted from the OP to the lake itself and more specifically about the walleye, can one assume that the biggest reason for the lack of people aka walleye fisher people not going to the resorts is directly related to a 0-1 fish limit? How about that for pissing people off. Now keep a secret, I did it for my enjoyment and hopefully others

No apparently if you believe that co-management (nettting and a selective slot) is detrimental to the lake you’re a racist, dolt, or unAmerican. Despite what their #s show since 1999.

Attachments:
    1. A26CA465-B9C6-4EB4-987C-1303690C2C7A.png

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

What’s 2014- present look like?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I suppose we could also compare the trends to the late ice out years and lack of netting to help understand nets aren’t bad. coffee

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

It’s like comparing Fox news to MSNBC each side speaks just enough truth to keep them legit, but then they keep talking and only BS comes out.

The answers are found in the middle. They always are. Unfortunately, in today’s world it’s extremely difficult to get there.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Well that escalated quickly. James made a great point that the places that did not adapt or evolve did not or will not survive.

Zander you bring a lot of knowledge to this horse that has been beaten here for years but if you state that the nets are not the problem, you won’t get far with that here. Just this spring there was an abandoned net found with rotting fish. Now I don’t believe the nets are the “ONLY” problem but they aren’t helping matters. You make a valid point on the 2013 class that look so emaciated due to the invasives. That may be the real problem for that lake but many will blame the nets.

For the guys wanting to keep a few, why not adapt and keep pike, perch or other fish? Probably has to do with stubbornness more than anything. Or drive to a nearby lake if you absolutely want walleyes. It’s not that difficult but like they say, it’s hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Plausible denilability; A launch with 20+ anglers on board,does not have the same effect as a gillnet full of fish.
    X-How may launch trips per day? X-how many Launches on the lake?

coffee

queenswake
    NULL

I appreciate the information shared in this thread about the plans by the tribe. That map showing the boundary was helpful. For those of us down in the cities who don’t follow every word of what’s going on up there, this helps fill us in.

I agree that most of the resorts up there did not change to cater more towards families. But that said, many of them were small and didn’t really have the room to add a pool, huge lawn, etc. They were utilitarian places to rest your head and have a beer at night and that was it. Every resort up there is on a small piece of land with cabins on top of each other and fish houses parked everywhere else. It’s always been a fishing lake and always will be. People drive past that up to Brainerd and beyond for the more typical family resort vacation.

Drive through the state parks and they are absolutely packed because they have the room for family amenities. The kids and wives have something to do in between their fishing outings.

But Mille Lacs was on the decline long before any of all of this recent walleye decline. Many of those resorts closed in the late 90s and early 2000s. I think at that time I remember more guys starting to go up further north to Leech, Red, and LOTW. This is when roads started getting better up that way, speed limits faster. Those other lakes were more accessible now for a lot of guys so they started driving by Mille Lacs.

queenswake
    NULL

Zanderboy, I believe you brought up a lot of good points. The lake is simply not the same as it once was in terms of an ecosystem. The water is obviously clearer. The water is obviously warmer. There are obviously more bass. There are obviously more pike. There are obviously more invasive species. There is clearly an abundance of larger walleyes in the lake and they are an eating machine that often prey on their own smaller kind. Winter fishing pressure has increased tenfold because people sit there in their ice castles for weeks drinking beer and watching satellite TV. However, I do think that mass netting of fish during their spawning period is a contributing factor as well. Whether or not its a large amount or a small amount, if those fish are removed, they cannot complete the spawning cycle, correct? I think that the glory days of keeping 4 fish on a daily basis is behind us in that lake, perhaps forever. It doesn’t bother me. I’m not out there to keep them and frankly I’m fine with it being a trophy smallmouth and muskie fishery instead. Keep it real

You said it well and the DNR has said the same. There are so many new factors influencing the lake now that it’s difficult to know which one to blame. It’s likely a combination of all of them.

Out of all of the politics over this lake, I really hope that people can at least agree that the lake has changed and that netting alone is not to blame.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Grant Ruis wrote:</div>
    Zanderboy, I believe you brought up a lot of good points. The lake is simply not the same as it once was in terms of an ecosystem. The water is obviously clearer. The water is obviously warmer. There are obviously more bass. There are obviously more pike. There are obviously more invasive species. There is clearly an abundance of larger walleyes in the lake and they are an eating machine that often prey on their own smaller kind. Winter fishing pressure has increased tenfold because people sit there in their ice castles for weeks drinking beer and watching satellite TV. However, I do think that mass netting of fish during their spawning period is a contributing factor as well. Whether or not its a large amount or a small amount, if those fish are removed, they cannot complete the spawning cycle, correct? I think that the glory days of keeping 4 fish on a daily basis is behind us in that lake, perhaps forever. It doesn’t bother me. I’m not out there to keep them and frankly I’m fine with it being a trophy smallmouth and muskie fishery instead. Keep it real

You said it well and the DNR has said the same. There are so many new factors influencing the lake now that it’s difficult to know which one to blame. It’s likely a combination of all of them.

Out of all of the politics over this lake, I really hope that people can at least agree that the lake has changed and that netting alone is not to blame.

I have yet to meet the person who has said the nets were 100% to blame.

However if you don’t acknowledge the nets as part of the problem there will never be a solution.

No different then saying water clarity and invasives have not had a effect.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

From the Wharf FB page….

The Wharf Resort

Resort for Sale or Investing Partner Wanted

After 15 years of owning and operating The Wharf, we have decided it’s time to either sell our business or find a partner/investor to take The Wharf to the next level. While we have enjoyed the challenges that owning a resort brings, it is now time for us to focus on our family. In the meantime, Toucans bar only (no restaurant) will be open Thursday through Monday. The Resort will continue with is full staff and operations as well.
    All interested parties should contact Mike Anderson, Minnesota Resort Sales, 218-389-6305 or [email protected].
    A huge Thank You to all our friends and customers who have been supporting us for all these years. We are looking forward to opportunity of executing an amazing plan for the New Wharf! Please share this message freely as we are looking to act quickly prior to the start of a new season.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I saw that yesterday too Jon doah

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

I saw this, this morning.

http://www.rustysupnorthrealty.com/listing.cfm?MLS=4995268#SuperSizedImages-Container

The place could use some upgrades but somehow the price seems almost reasonable? Or at least not completely unattainable for a family who wanted to put all their eggs in that basket?

By comparison there is a canoe outfitter near the BWCA outfit currently listed at 1.65M shock not apples/apples exactly but interesting to me.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

The place could use some upgrades but somehow the price seems almost reasonable? Or at least not completely unattainable for a family who wanted to put all their eggs in that basket?

I’d assume having 169 run through the front yard, and between the cabins and lake brings down the price a fair amount…I’d be curious what price The Wharf is listed for. That MN Resort Sales hides the sale prices of their listings like it is top secret info, so I don’t look into their listings. Seems like an odd sales strategy to me…:???:

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>pool2fool wrote:</div>

I’d assume having 169 run through the front yard, and between the cabins and lake brings down the price a fair amount…I’d be curious what price The Wharf is listed for. That MN Resort Sales hides the sale prices of their listings like it is top secret info, so I don’t look into their listings. Seems like an odd sales strategy to me…:???:

Definitely, makes sense.

That bwca resort i mentioned is listed totally blind. You have to sign a non-disclosure agreement just to view the property. Assuming they have a lot of reservations booked and don’t want customers panicking and cancelling. Don’t understand the logic of advertising with no price listed though.

Priorities

I heard McQuoids sold recently, one of the largest on the lake. Any feedback on new owners? Did band buy it?

Viewing 17 posts - 151 through 167 (of 167 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.