Another dead stick question

• brian schultz
    Minot, ND

I’m looking to replace my rattle reels inside of my wheel house with dead sticks. What is everyone using carbon or glass rods. I have a friend that will let me use his rod building equipment to build them myself to help keep the cost down. Any insite would be great.

Bigwalleye30
    MN

I have both a Tuned up and Thorne Bros deadstick rods. I know the Thorne Bros is a glass rod, but not sure on the tuned up.

Dan Baker

TUCR Deadstick is also a glass rod. Glass is preferred because it will flex more with less effort so the fish is less likely to feel the rod and spit the bait. It is also helpful for times when a fish crushes the bait and puts a huge load on the rod before you can get to it.
    Dan

curleytail

Agreed on glass blanks. Easier to get that very light tip with good backbone. A graphite blank would have to be sanded incredibly thin at the tip to be light enough.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

You can find some premade lower cost rods at Fleet Farm ect. that would make a good dead stick. I use a rod that I paid $7.99 for at a bait shop years ago.

Tinker
    Iron Range

Sorry to jump in on the dead stick blanks posts. But I saw where some were using the bait feeder reels. When disengaging the gears on bait feeders would this act the same as the inline reels in free spool ?

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

When disengaging the gears on bait feeders would this act the same as the inline reels in free spool ?

Yes if you had the clicker on. With the bait feeder reels you would be able to add more tension to the line in free spool.

Tinker
    Iron Range

Thank you that’s interesting.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Tinker wrote:</div>
    When disengaging the gears on bait feeders would this act the same as the inline reels in free spool ?

Yes if you had the clicker on. With the bait feeder reels you would be able to add more tension to the line in free spool.
    [/quote

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

I have not tried it but I don’t think I would be able to add enough tension on my 6061 in free spool to hold the minnow in place.

Ron Burgundy
    Utica MN

Walmart has an HT Med lt with a really whippy tip & good backbone that was made for dead sticking. I use it for tiny jigs for panniers but have easily landed eyes & northern with it. $12

droc2487
    Letcher, SD

Definitely put a Baitfeeder reel on it

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.