An empty chair at the table

• Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

You’re old enough to remember this practice Len. We always had an extra place set at our table when I was growing up, every dinner meal, not just on holidays. That was my grandmother’s doing. Younger people today probably would think its a crazy tradition but I sort of miss it on holidays.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Unique timing Len. My Mother passed back in Jan. Her two favorite holidays are Thanksgiving and Christmas. It was so different for my Father and I to not have my Mother “over-doing it” as she had for so many years

Additionally, I just couldn’t stop thinking about Sharon losing Billy then rolling into a Holiday. Spend 5 minutes with the Roots, and you know what Family means to them.

Great thoughts there Len! I appreciate your posts toast toast toast

Randy Buck

My dad passed away in Jan. Mom’s been gone since 2012.Things have really changed since I was younger. I dearly miss them both, especially during the holidays. I noticed your name is Randy as is mine, you are from Lebanon WI, Im from Lebanon TN, we both lost a parent in January. Ironic. Condolences for your loss.

Deleted

Very good idea. I don’t ever remember hearing of such a tradition but I like it.

We lost little grandma (to my kids) after the holidays last year, so this is the first year without her. Seems we all just keep getting closer to the end of the line with each holiday season.

I remember the holidays as a kid and think, wow- where did the time go! I can’t believe how many friends & family are no longer with us.

I also wonder if there will be holiday gatherings once the wife & I are gone. Our grown kids did do the dishes this year but I’m not sure they would go thru the whole holiday meal thing if we didn’t.

Sharon
    SE Metro

Wonderful post, Len. It’s amazing and comforting to know that almost everyone has a loved one or two who has passed on, and celebrates the holidays with us in spirit.

Additionally, I just couldn’t stop thinking about Sharon losing Billy then rolling into a Holiday. Spend 5 minutes with the Roots, and you know what Family means to them.

Thank you for thinking of us, Randy, and I’m touched by your statement. Holidays will be different this year, that’s for sure. But I’m blessed with a great family on both Billy’s side and my own family, and I’ve never been so thankful to be someone who hangs out with family regularly.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.