An Empty Chair at Deer Camp

• Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

November 3rd has come around again. It could be just another date for most. It’s the day before firearms opener for many. A big fan of deer opener and hunting, is missing for the 4th year now. Billy Manthe passed away the weekend before Deer Opener in 2019. He didn’t get to see family and friends up at the cabin. He didn’t get out to try and finally shoot a buck, bigger than the one his wife shot a few years earlier. No card games, story times (one of his specialties) homemade breakfast burritos for in the stand, or drinking round the fire. He was gone. A key character in his families hunting group and strategizer for the property. How would they make it without him?

No one had to make it without him more than our friend, Billy’s wife, Sharon. But, she has. And she’s done so courageously. A big help has been her amazing friends and family here at IDO. You all have been tremendous in showing kindness and compassion. Encouraging her to try new things and find new adventures.

Someday I hope there’s a return to a deer camp for Sharon. It was something she loved that Billy introduced her to. Of course, then she’ll shoot the biggest buck and never stop bragging about it…. whistling

My heart goes out to Sharon and all those who have lost a hunting partner, buddy, or more. This year maybe raise a glass and toast those empty chairs at deer camp. Or, do a Billy and throw the cap in the fire so we gotta finish the whole dang bottle!
    toast

Attachments:
    1. 25013-1.jpeg

2. 25044.jpeg

3. 25013.jpeg

4. 25038.jpeg

Pat K
    Empire, MN

In the 1980’s a friend started organizing a Mille Lacs ice fishing trip every Feb. Twelve to 14 of us getting together for as one guy put it “sitting around a fire drinking beer and telling lies”.
    We now have 3 empty chairs when we get together including one for the man who started it.
    Here’s a toast to Billy and everyone else that occupied an important chair in our lives and one to Sharon and everyone else who’s lives were touched by them

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Dan, thank you for the kind words on this difficult day. And I will never forget the way the people here on IDO a stepped up to help and support Sharon. It was truly something to see.

Give your loved ones a hug today.

Sharon’s Dad

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

what a great tribute post! I will be raising a glass for Billy and for those whos chairs are now empty at my camp.

MX1825

Very nice Pop. applause
    Keep that smile Sharon it lights up the screen here on IDO!

mojo

Sharon, you have my heartfelt sympathy. Milestones are difficult, but focusing on the good memories can bring a smile. I hope you smile often today.
    And thank you for all you do around here.
    Thank you POP for bringing this story to light.

Be safe out there everyone.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Post title is a very poignant euphemism.

CaptainMusky

POP that is a very somber anniversary for sure. Raise a toast in your buddy’s memory. You cannot take away the memories for sure!

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

The post announcing Billy’s passing was the most painful thing I’ve ever read. To Sharon, I can only say that it is something for Billy to have lived the life he did and to have the joy I know he had as your husband and partner.

But it’s another thing entirely, another higher place, that others remember him.

Only can and should we aspire to be that type of person who is remembered and mourned not just by their family as we all will be. But to be remembered and mourned and missed by everyone from friends to even casual acquaintances. That’s well-lived life.

Grouse

Timmy

Hopefully that empty chair that should be full brings all of you many happy memories and fuels many good tales. Focus on that and in a way, maybe, just maybe, that chair wont seem quite so empty after all.

AnotherFisherman

Well said POP.

One of my favorite moments of deer camp every year is giving a tribute to those that aren’t with us anymore.

Sharon
    SE Metro

Thank you, Dan, for the lovely post, and thank you to everyone for the kind replies and messages. Today will always be a heavy day, so I took the day off work and met my mom, mother-in-law, and sister-in-law for lunch before we headed to Billy’s Bench. Since today is also Orange Friday we toasted to Billy with buttershots, our deer camp tradition.

It’s almost hard to believe it’s been four years, and I’m reminded of a quote I read… “A life lived with so much love never really ends, but goes on forever in the hearts of those who remember.”

Attachments:
    1. received_1419405655272229.jpeg

2. 20231103_141725-scaled.jpg

Sharon
    SE Metro

Cheers to Billy, and to all those empty chairs at deer camp. toast

Attachments:
    1. received_835989541599661.jpeg

2. Picsart_23-11-03_15-30-58-300-scaled.jpg

B-man

I like the celebration Sharon toast

Timmy

Cheers! And dont forget – he is with you!

Pat K
    Empire, MN

Beautiful tribute Sharon!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

You know Sharon, and by default Billy, are amazing people by the way his memory lives on with all of us here. Many who (myself included) never met or interacted with him still tip a glass. Cheers and keep living life to its fullest in respect to the others who would in our place!!

Attachments:
    1. CC3FC4C0-2A4D-4544-9E5C-D35D722F4512-scaled.jpeg

The SCRATCHER
    spring valley mn

I feel for your loss Sharon I can only imagine losing a partner, this is what we do at deer camp, as I lost my brother 3 years ago. His tree stand still sits in the same spot where he put it, we use it now and then. We all go pay our respects to his spot and all 4 of us wears something of his. I wear his boots my son wears his orange vest, his son wears his orange hat and his grandson wears a necklace with his ashes. Also some of his ashes are spread below his tree.with a few shots of his favorite pass around we toast to him!! Thank you pop for the write up and Sharon I hope your day/ weekend went well! RIP Ricky Allen Metcalf!

CaptainMusky

“A life lived with so much love never really ends, but goes on forever in the hearts of those who remember.”

What a great quote!

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

We all took a shot at Deer Camp this weekend to all those Empty Chairs. I even took a special Extra one for Billy. I wish I’d known about the Buttershot tradition, I would have made it one of those. Will have to remember that for the next time !

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

The post announcing Billy’s passing was the most painful thing I’ve ever read.

That is exactly how I felt reading it Grouse. Sharon you have one of the largest support groups a person could ask for. Reach out anytime or any reason. Thinking of you.

Sharon
    SE Metro

Thank you again guys for all the kind words and messages. It’s heartwarming to know that Billy touched so many lives and makes me proud to be his widow.

I don’t recall how the Buttershots became a tradition at our deer camp but we always had a bottle to pass around! I always have one in my fridge for the occasion to cheers Billy and his dad Bill, both who passed away too soon.

Cheers to all those who’ve left us too soon, and let their stories continue to be told.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

We always do a shot of whiskey chased by butterscotch and a bit of orange juice to open up deer camp. Can’t remember what that shot is called

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.