Aluminum boat paint cost

• matthewkolden

Has anyone here had an aluminum boat fully re-painted? When i bought mine 4 years or so ago, the guy i bought from had driven gravel roads without any tow protector and chipped the hell out of the front end. Add in some dock rash and i didnt buy it because the paint was perfect.

So now that shes nearly paid off, we’re cobsidering a full re-paint. Maybe even something a little custom. Just wondering if anyone can give me an idea on costs. I have absolutely no clue. Is it 1000? Is it 10,000? Is it in between? Just trying to get an idea.

Thanks.

JEREMY
    BP

Have it wrapped

Drizzy Musky
    Duluth

If you are looking at having someone shoot it with Awlgrip, then yes $10,000 is a real number.

Can also do it yourself with other paints that won’t look nearly as good. Personally think wraps are gross. Can often call boat manufacture and get a paint match and find something in a can that matches.

Alagnak1

Last year year I had a 20′ alum deep v tiller wrapped by a top quality place for about $850. I had them cut it short approximately on the water line so they didn’t have to print off another sheet and helped keep the cost down. The worst part was getting all the old adhesive vinyl graphics off with a 3M rubber wheel prior to dropping it off.

404 ERROR
    MN

Keep in mind the paint chips will generally show through a solid color wrap unless they use a super thick liner, which gets spendy. You can mitigate seeing the chips through the wrap by not choosing a solid color, but many are gaudy.

Charles

Wrapped, I would do. You can always primer the based to make sure the rock chips don’t come through.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

George’s Boat repair in East Bethel can give you a quote to repaint, My dad had a Lund repainted awhile ago buy a paint guy that painted cars in his shop.

Drizzy Musky
    Duluth

Wraps also don’t really stand up to trailering too well.

Also they get an orange peel texture from the wild swings in temp. Paint is a 10plus year solution if done correctly by a pro.

djshannon
    Crosslake

I upgraded and restored an 81 Lund Pike 16 Dlx about 5 years ago. I made arrangements with a local body shop to use my boat as a shop filler during the winter. That meant they would work on it after finishing their scheduled work on Friday afternoons and Monday mornings before their drop offs came in. Keeping their paid staff busy and earning something. I applied the graphic after they were done. I don’t remember the exact figure but it cost somewhere in the mid $1000 range.

I talked to at least 6 shops, some wouldn’t even touch it and others scared be away with high estimates.

The shop I used did a great job, they were not required to fill or fix any dents or dings. So, if you look very closely you can see the imperfections in the base.

Here is a picture.

Attachments:
    1. DSCF6910-scaled.jpg

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Recommendations on boat wrapping in or around the south metro?

Alagnak1

Recommendations on boat wrapping in or around the south metro?

Print Lab Wraps

stevenoak

I owned a body shop for 45 years. Painted boats for myself and buddies. Cost from a few beers and paint left from a John Deere contract, {brown not green}. To automotive base coat clear coat that materials could be $1,000 or more. For years everyone I knew sidehacked nights and weekends. I don’t know anyone now. As far as matching.
    I’d paint compete. Due to paint transparency, matching is near impossible. I repaired a smaller spot on a Alumacraft. Laid out a two-tone panel to cover the area with Yamaha Grey to match the motor on both sides. Then bordered with a black stripe. Looked cool when it was done. Wrap is cheaper. But think they look tackier when they get scratched up.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.