Alumacraft Edge 185

• Buffalo Bill

Hey guys first post.

What does everybody think about the Edge? I got to see one briefly at a local boat show and really seemed to like it but i didn’t have much there to compare it with. Anything you guys noticed that might steer you away and to a trophy or a competitor. I would rig it with a yamaha 150 or 175 4s with a kicker.

Thanks

CaptainMusky

I haven’t seen one in person, but I do really like what I have seen. If you have followed Alumacraft boats the last many years you would see that the Dominator model is gone. The Edge basically replaces that, but there are some very nice new features that really separate it which makes sense for the name change.
    When comparing this boat to the Competitor you will notice the Edge has the wide gunnels. I like that, but some may not. I really like how they remade the rear jump seats, etc. Very nicely done when comparing to those in the Dominator.
    If this boat would have been available when I bought mine it would have been the model I chose over the Tournament Sport. I like the jump seats in the back for kids because then you can remove the other seats and have more floor space.

queenswake
    NULL

My only complaint is that there is only one livewell, it’s small, and very inconvenient to access. It doesn’t even have the strap and snap to keep the seat up against the seat back like on the Trophy. Not only should they include the strap and snap, they should also offer an optional bow livewell like in the Trophy.

Big oversight on Alumacraft’s part.

CaptainMusky

Idk my boat has a bow live well and I never use it for that. I use it as a cooler or just plain additional storage. I wish it were a cooler instead but that wasn’t available when mine was produced.

Buffalo Bill

The edge looks to be 200lb lighter then the trophy and not as tall. I would think that might help it pick up a few mph maybe upper 40s or touch 50

queenswake
    NULL

My point was that if you are only going to have one livewell, make it good. It’s extremely annoying trying to hold up the seat while fishing around in the livewell. Trying to get fish out of there at the end of the day will be a two-person job unless something can be rigged up to keep the seat vertical against the seat back. The Trophy not only has a second livewell to use that is less awkward to access, but the one that is under the jump seat has a strap to keep the seat from falling down on you while you are digging around in the livewell. And overall, I wish the Alumacrafts could have the rear livewell between the jumpseats as is the standard in just about every other boat out there with jumpseats in the back from other manufacturers.

That said, I think the Edge is a good boat and allows Alumacraft to catch up to the other manufacturers. Until now, Alumacraft has been more on the fishing side and ignoring the fact that a lot of guys need a boat that can do both the fish and family stuff. This is definitely a good first step. The rear jump seats are larger and a lot more comfortable than the Trophy jump seats. Nice bow area with the cushions. This boat will sell well. Especially since it’s thousands less than a similarly equipped Lund Crossover. At least 7K less by the time you compare apples to apples. And on top of that, you get to choose the motor to hang on the back.

If the Trophy 175 had a ski pylon, I would probably get that. But because it doesn’t, I am thinking strongly about the Edge. The Trophy 185 does have a ski pylon, but I don’t like the high sides. The height of the Edge sides is just about perfect for the style of fishing I like to do and there is less chance of being blown around so much.

If I get it, I will probably get the Yamaha 150HP on the back, unless I can get talked into the Suzuki 150 or the price difference to go up to the 175HP is not too bad.

Does anyone know if you can hang a kicker on the back of this thing?

CaptainMusky

I guess when I fish around in the live well I use both hands. One to hold the lid while the other uses a small trout net to get fish out of the live well. Seems like a non-issue to me but if the straps and snaps mean the difference in a purchase decision I guess so be it.

Buffalo Bill

i agree would be nice if alumacraft put the livewell in the center between the jump seats like everybody else. But does it break the boat for me having it where it is? not sure the livewell placement is worth 5k to me stepping up to the crossover. Trophy is too bulky I think for most. I rarely see my self going out into weather where i would want a boat that tall. I would hope Alumacraft would have allowed putting a kicker on but who knows.

Buffalo Bill

i did ask alumacraft and they said you could put a kicker on any of there deep V hulls 175 and bigger.

Buffalo Bill

Anybody pick up an edge and get it on the water yet?

bitzenguy
    ROCHESTER

I just inked the deal on this boat last week and I pick it up tomorrow night.
    I opted for the 185.
    Terrova 80 with I PILOT
    Humminbird Helix 7 GPS
    Minnkota duel bank onboard charger
    Had them take out the ski pylon and give me credit for that but I did add the front bow cushions for weekends with friends and family.
    Needless to say, tomorrow can not get here soon enough. This will be my first dedicated fishing boat and I am extremely excited.
    I will post some pics in the next few days.

Walter Stansbury

I’ve had a 185 Edge since May 16. Couldn’t ask for a better layout. Maybe some tackle lockers with bins but overall very functional. Put a 2008 yamaha f150 on it with 17p reliance prop. Seems a perfect match. I’m 220 and it will pull me out slalom with 4 adults in the boat. Hits mid 40s but I’m not a speed guy.

I’ve had it on lake of woods and rainy. Seems to be a very wet ride and plows water.(yes I know where the trim is) I’ve read reviews on older models could be the back edge needing peened. Its got to go back because a hole in the livewell. Couldn’t figure out the amount of water in boat. Finally found a 1/4 inch hole in the live well. That may have had a little to do with the wet ride. I put silicone on a screw and plugged it,alumacraft wants to replace it, so I’ll let them, and have them look at the back edge.

I don’t mind the live well location. Used it many times and never had an issue getting fish in or out. Only live well complaint is jump seats are too comfortable. Two lazy clowns I fish with won’t leave them. Only time I can get one of them to move is when I need to put fish in the live well.

Overall very happy with boat. Going to try a few thing to see if I can get it to ride better. (Check engine mount, move trolling motor battery back, loose a few lbs ya know we’ll see what happens.

This boat replaced an 84 Lund, and a 2001 Bayliner. As far as fish and ski aspect it’s awesome. Plenty of room to sneak the slalom with on fishing trips. The looks one gets skiiing spot to spot, especially when you’re the only one with a full live well (Of fish, depending on trip was only half full of water).

I’m very happy with purchase, love the fuel efficiency of the 4 stroke. Love the ability to take advantage of afternoon heat while fishing, pop the ski pole in and spray some fellow fisherman (not that I would ever do that).

Pros: layout, dual function, easy to rig, stable platform, alumacraft customer service.

Professionally rigged via craigslist purchases, from the yamaha motor, lowrance gen3, motorguide xi5. Even a putz like myself can find and stay on fish.

CaptainMusky

I don’t know if peening the edge will do anything for getting wet. That is usually what is done if you have a porpoising problem.
    I’m surprised you are getting wet. Is yours the 175 or 185?
    If you trim the motor up and it is still plowing water then I wonder if your motor is mounted too low???
    When I trim my boat up I can actually see the spray move toward the back as I raise it. When its trimmed all the way down, the spray is often in front of the windshield, but when trimmed up it is behind.

Walter Stansbury

I believe it is a porpoising problem. Spray is in front of windshield. In order to move back I trim motor up, when spray gets even with windshield bow starts to bounce. I trim back down. Spray back in front of windshield. Currently I have two group 31 batteries in the front two trays. Going to move to the back two trays. I haven’t looked into engine mount but that is my next bit to research.

CaptainMusky

OK, so I see that happens. The porposing causes you to trim the motor back down which makes sense. That can be annoying for sure. Even if I have my motor trimmed all the way down, I don’t get wet unless the wind blows the spray back at me. I wonder if the spray rails are designed different on yours?
    I have a Tournament Sport, I would think they would be very similar.
    The peening of the hull or putting a “hook” in it could fix the porpoising issue. I would ask about the motor location first before taking a hammer to it. -)
    I think moving the batteries back would make the bouncing worse. Have a buddy sit on the rod locker cover and see how that works. If they are riding in the jump seats the whole time that could be part of the problem too. All that weight is way back. Need more weight forward.
    I think mine is mounted in the 3rd hole down, but I realize each motor is different so you might have it in the right spot for your Yamaha.

Walter Stansbury

I will not be taking a hammer to it! But if it’s what it needs alumacraft will handle it. I think it could be weight distribution. I have 4 batteries in it and we’re not small folks. I haven’t been in it enough since I figured out the live well leaK either. That was putting a lot of water in the very back which would lead to the bouncing as well. I figured I was having problems raising the bow so I should move weight back. I could be looking at that wrong.

I have spent a lot of time in the tournament sport. Very dry comfortable ride. (My favorite boat, other than an early 90s pro v) but lack of ski pole and the jump seats it wasn’t going to replace the Bayliner.

The Edge does everything asked, just need to fiqure out the balance, motor rigging or driving skills.

I added two photos, way back from kettle falls. Dad 350lb me 220lb, live well empty 1/4 tank of gas running about 30 mph, trimmed up to point of bounce. Spray well in front of windshield.

Attachments:
    1. IMG951246-1.jpg

2. IMG951245.jpg

3. IMG951246.jpg

CaptainMusky

I checked motor location at lunch and it’s in the second hole from top.
    I am sure that Water weight didn’t help. Hopefully the folks at alumacraft give you some help.

692fisherman
    champlin mn

good friend of mine picked on up this spring. he loves and it fishes great! ih put a 150 or a 175 vmax sho on it and if rips. plus it works great for his family, pulls tubes like a s.o.b!!

Walter Stansbury

From other reading sounds like dropping the Dominator and Trophy down to the third hole has helped with loaded down boats. May try that and report back. Currently set in second hole.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_8121.jpg

Buffalo Bill

have any luck getting your bouncing fixed?

CaptainMusky

Moving it down should certainly help. How much? Not sure. Let us know how it turns out. Careful if you are doing that yourself. Those things are heavy.

shorepatrol17

I have a 2017 Edge 185 with a yamaha f150 and f8. Im running a Mercury Rev 4 prop in the 3rd mountin hole up. Im at 230lbs with the kicker, 2 deep cyles and the livewell and gas tank full Ive hit 47 at 6100 rpms. With my family of 4 and two labs i get about 43 at 5800 rpms. The boat explodes out of the hole with this prop if I take it to wide open. I have owned many aluminum boats and this one rides the smoothest hands down. I have found it difficult to get the bow up very high at speed. I can trim mine fully up wide open without blowing it out or porposing. At mid range speeds this boat corners unbelievably well actually scary without coming off plane.

Attachments:
    1. 20170414_175732.jpg

arcticm1000
    New Richmond, WI

Shorepatrol17, That sounds like a sweet set up. I have a 2012 throphy 185 with a yamaha 150. I think I could get better performance with a different prop on mine. With the current prop I can only get about 5100 rpm out of it. Do you know what the model number of the Mercury Rev 4 that you have is? Or the pitch and diameter?

gregory
    Red wing,mn

These have had good results on the competitor 175 with a 150 four stroke, if lowering motor doesnt help i would put these on in a heartbeat!

Home

gregory
    Red wing,mn

Home

gregory
    Red wing,mn

doesnt look like link is working, but they are smart tabs by nauticus inc.

shorepatrol17

The Rev 4 (Mercury Revolution 4) I’m running on my Edge 185 with the F150 is 14 5/8″ diameter by 17pitch. This is a big heavy prop but it performs great. My spare prop is a 19 pitch Mercury Spitfire and it is a little faster but way more tempermental, it blows out real easily with the motor mounted in the 3rd hole up. With the Rev 4 you’ll need a special Flo-torq hub. Ricky Bessmen from Brainerd props can get you set up. When I have a prop question, I contact him. Ricky has sound advice and competitive prices. In my previous post I said that with a moderate load Im running 6100rpms trimmed out and consistently hitting 46mph and have hit 47 with the Rev 4 on two occasions. I also bought a second trim anode for my lower unit and cut the fin off and polished it smooth. With hydraulic steering its not as big of an issue, and once your trimmed out at speed that fin doesnt serve much purpose anyways. Yes, there is a water pickup on the Yamaha trim anode and you do need that so be careful not to destroy it if you decide to cut off your trim fin. Thats all the tweeking Im gonna do on this boat, plenty fast for me. Tight Lines

arcticm1000
    New Richmond, WI

Shorepatrol17, It sounds like you have your boat tweaked in good. I will contact Ricky and see what is recommendations are. I have heard good things about him from others also.

Thanks for the info.

bjohnson

At the Minneapolis boat show this spring the family looked at the Lund Crossover 1875 and the Edge 185 Sport. Everybody liked the layouts of both boats. Price, motor, and most importantly dealer were the reasons why we bought the Edge 185. We bought the boat from LaCannes Marine in Faribault. It is the 3rd Alumacraft we have bought from them. They are the best (and free rigging on the electronics)! Mike J. was our salesman. Great guy to deal with!

The Edge was $6000 cheaper for boat, motor, trailer (Lund dealer was also going to charge $300 for electronics rigging) The Lund had a Merc 150 4S and an aluminum prop (for an extra $200 we could trade it for a SS). Our Edge has the Yamaha 150 Vmax SHO with a Yamaha Reliance 14.25×17 SS prop. It’s mounted on the 2nd hole. One other item. After we ordered the boat Nick, owner of LaCannes, upgraded our Shorelander trailer to one with retractable transom tie-down straps and it has the armor coating sprayed on it. No charge!

I have around 12 hours on the motor so far. Alone I can hit 47-48 mph @ 6000 rpms. With 4 adults in the boat I have hit 44 mph. That’s plenty fast for me/us. We do most of our fishing on Lake of the Woods so I rarely go wide open. The livewell placement could be better but it doesn’t bother me at all. I have a round wooden dowel I keep in the side storage. When I need to open the livewell and keep it open, I just grab the dowel and stick it between the seat base and livewell opening. It will stay open all day if need be. We love the boat!

Sorry for the long-winded post and any typos. Haven’t had my morning coffee yet!
    Brian
    Go Hawkeyes!

Attachments:
    1. edge.jpg

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.