Alumacraft 185 TPRO Prop question

• Dave Mulder

I currently am running a 185 TPRO with a Evinrude Etec 175 (mounted 3rd hole). 14 3/4 x 19 prop at WOT is getting 5000 RPM and a speed of around 42 mph. From what i am readin a 14 3/4 x 17 prop should give me some more top end and also add some RPM. Just looking for some advice before i spend a bunch of $$$ on another prop

CaptainMusky

You might lose top end going to a 17. I don’t have the same motor as you, but when I dinged up my original prop, they gave me a different one to use until my replacement came in. I believe it was a 15×21 (Suzuki 150) and I was getting 50mph on GPS. When my replacement prop came in, same as the original one I dropped down to about 47. This prop is a 19.
    42 certainly is slow for the boat and that motor. I have a 150 and I get 45 with a full tank and 4 guys with gear.
    Are you trimming the motor up when WOT? Keep trimming it up until the boat catwalks and then lower it a bit so you don’t cavitate or porpoise.
    If you are already doing that, raising the motor might in the cards. mine is in the second hole from top.

Dave Mulder

Yes I am trimming as need be. Just seems like to much prop for the boat. I still think going down to a 17 should allow me to get within specs and hopefully gain a few mph

gunsmith89
    eyota, mn

ill have to check my prop. I get a good hole and usually top around 45-47 running a Yamaha 150,9.9 kicker and full load with two people trimmed with a 19p tempest I believe. I run around 5400 WOT but very rarely go that fast. Best I have done is upper 48’s gps.

CaptainMusky

Yes I am trimming as need be. Just seems like to much prop for the boat. I still think going down to a 17 should allow me to get within specs and hopefully gain a few mph

How is your holeshot? Are you getting on plane quickly? Going to a 17 will certainly increase your peak RPM, since you mentioned 5000 being your peak, which is within the range for that motor (5850 is max). A 17 shouldn’t put you at a risk of over revving.
    Take a look at this performance data by Alumacraft. I realize this is for a Dominator, but the hull is essentially the same as a TPro.
    Note the motor mounting location (#2 versus your #3). That could make a big difference too.
    http://org-www.evinrude.com/Content/Pdf/neutral/performanceReports/PE848.pdf

Dave Mulder

Hole shot is great. Cornering good. Very little blow out

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.