Navigator 175CS bow too high.

• dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

4 summers and I’m still not use to the way my Nav’s bow raises

when I back off of the throttle after being up on plane.

I forgot my WhiteCaps two openers ago on M.L. and took on water

a couple of times because of the way the tail squats

when I stop.

I do have max hp (F150) and also a T-8 on the transom.

I love the T-8 for trolling but have been contemplating

removing it to eliminate the squatting issue. It’s either that or swap

the 150 for a 115 and leave the T-8 where it sits.

There is a 62 lb diffential between the 115 and the 150.

The T-8 weighs around 100 lbs.

More than once I have put the boat back on plane thinking the bilge

was full of water because of the bow rise.

It’s a uneasy feeling especially first thing in the a.m. after a later

than usual p.m…………..if you know what

I’m sayin.

I do have a 24v troller and 27 series batteries installed and have

all compartments filled in the bow area.

I may have to throw some lead in the compartments instead

of life preservers, t boxes, and anchors with rope.

I just haven’t been able to get used to this and would like to make my outings more enjoyable.

Your thoughts??

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

If you have not already done so, I would start by removing the T-8 and see if that improves the situation at all. This should tell you if the weight difference in main motors would change the situation. It is rarely a good thing to drop down in main motor size – at least in terms of satisfaction. If the extra weight of pulling the T-8 helps, you could also try to redistribute some weight from the rear to the front again before making a change in main motors.

I am not very knowledgeable on the motor height issue but could this also be a factor? Maybe a dealer would also have some useful advice.

Good luck.

wes_bergemann
    Crystal, MN

Even removing the t-8 will probably only help a little. I removed my kicker for the same ‘ease of mind’. But it is still a little spooky if I come off plane quickly I feel a lot better with less than half tank of gas, no kicker.

I have a zuki 115 on the back which I believe is quite a bit lighter than even a yammi 115. Kicker is a merc 9.9

mojogunter

I had the same issue with a Lund 2025 with a Yamaha 225 4 stroke and a t-8. Wave wackers took care of the problem, but the real cause is that 4 stroke is like a tank back there over 600lbs. I guess the new yamahas are much lighter, but I remember when the 4 stroke yamaha snowmobiles came out and their published weights were not even close to actual weights. I will take anything yamaha tells me with a grain of salt when it pertains to weights.

fieds
    ottertail county

would a hydrofoil help keep the nose down coming off of plane?

my buddy has a 170 tourney tiller with a 60 yammie that he put a hydro on to help hole shot, but it also helped keeping the waves over-topping the splash well when cutting throttle. this is a much smaller boat/motor combo so the surface area of the hydro affects his rig noticeably, not sure with a heavier set up if a hydro is large enough to keep the nose down enough.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Dan-
    I know you probly wont want to do this every time but have you tried trimming the motor down as you come into your spot or slow down?

Trying this might give you an idea if it is a weight issue or hull design issue???? Just a thought, you probly have tried this though knowing you. -Mark

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Quote:

Dan-
    I know you probly wont want to do this every time but have you tried trimming the motor down as you come into your spot or slow down?

Trying this might give you an idea if it is a weight issue or hull design issue???? Just a thought, you probly have tried this though knowing you. -Mark

You should see the wheelie if I don’t trim it down.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

My 182TS will do the same thing. Easiest way to cure it, when you feel ( or you can look ) the back end really sink when almost stopped bump the throttle to move the boat forward. Never had water over the transom since doing this.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

How about installing an engine mount troller in place of
    the T-8?

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Personally, I don’t think removing your T-8 is going to do much to solve the problem. I would just learn to give the throttle a little goose when you come off plane. Even with the full windshield model and two guys riding in the middle of the boat, it still gets a pretty good wave chasing the boat if you just stop without a little throttle push.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Running the tiller version of that boat you learn real fast about coming of off plane to quickly. I think taking water over the back end when coming off plane to quickly is common with many if not most boats. Trimming down the motor while slowing down does help. Like John said giving the boat a little push as the wave form behind the boat helps to. Wave wackers would help to.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.