Ice Fishing Report

• FlambeauVista
    Park Falls, WI

Ice thickness is being reported up 12″ with trucks now driving on it, but caution is still advised.
    Walleye action continues to be primarily from 3:30 pm until an hour or two after dark on tip-ups with golden shiners or fatheads near wood/stumps in 3-8 fow.
    Some really nice crappies up to 17″ have been take on glow jigs tipped with minnows near pine island. Jumbo perch and a few gills are being taken over the cribs or stumps.
    Remember that there is a 10″ minimum on crappies and a 10 panfish in aggregate limit.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Thanks for the report. A 17″ crappie is a benchmark I really want to hit some day.

FlambeauVista
    Park Falls, WI

It’s a mark that I also want to hit some day. We had a group of paramedics/firefighters from the Chicago area who just got into ice fishing with little experience. I suggested an area for them to try for crappies and they were fortunate enough to meet up with one of our local guides who amazed them with the crappies that the TFF holds. He was fun fishing/scouting for himself, yet he took the time to teach them techniques (no charge) that will stay with them for a lifetime. The guide caught the 17″ crappie and our guests witnessed the catching and measuring of the fish. Needless to say, they were pretty excited, as was I when they told me about it.

A special thank-you to you, James, and BrianK for creating a specific area on the Wisconsin Forum for posting reports about the Turtle-Flambeau Flowage, Wisconsin’s Scenic Wilderness Waters Area.

We hope to see the both of you on this body of water in the near future.

Thank-you from all the anglers and fans of the TFF.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Yeah TFF!!!

Mark

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

I’m excited that this forum was added.

FlambeauVista
    Park Falls, WI

We have to thank BrianK for his “pull” in getting a TFF slot to post on IDO. We are in the process of “luring” him and his better half here for a visit. Please show him and the good folks at IDO that there is a good following on this pristine body of water.

Given the strong winds and bitter cold temps this weekend, I don’t have a report other than ice depths are sufficient for folks to feel safe driving their trucks out and about; however, caution is still advised. Given the forecast of -20 temps at night for the next few nights, we should have really good ice for this weekend’s festivities.

The Justen Donner Memorial Fisheree will be held this up-coming Saturday, Jan. 26th, 2013 on the ice outside of Donners Bay Resort on Hiawatha Road just off of County Highways F/FF. There will be prizes for for the largest 5 fish in many categories, raffle prizes, music, food and beverages, along with fireworks at dark.

Please also mark your calenders for Feb. 23, 2013 for the Turtle-Flambeau Flowage Association’s Ice Fisheree at the same location.

Stay warm on the ice!

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

Tell BK that there is cats and sturgeon in the river. Might be enough to get him there

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Scott:

How much snow did you get out of the last couple of days??? Got snowmobilers at Fibbers looking for better riding… and so far the only thing I know is the clipper dumped 5″-6″ in the Manitowish area and lake effect late Sat. has accounted for another 3″-4″ as of 5:30 p.m. on Sat. I haven’t gotten a snow report for the Mercer area and am assuming that you have picked at least that much or maybe a bit more. Thanks in advance!!!

I would make it up for the Donner’s tournament, but Fibbers has theirs this weekend too…

Mark

FlambeauVista
    Park Falls, WI

Mark,
    Mercer area got about the same as of Sunday. Talked to some sledders on Saturday night and they said the trails were in fair condition.

woody_036
    Spooner, Wi

Im heading up/over to the Donner Tourney this weekend. I try to never miss one.

-Woody

FlambeauVista
    Park Falls, WI

The Turtle-Flambeau Flowage Association will host the Clause Kraetke Memorial Ice Fishing Jamboree this Saturday, February 23, 2013 in the heated tent on the ice outside of Donners Bay Resort. Tournament fishing is from 7:00 am – 4:00 pm, but bring your fish in early to register as a tie goes to the first fish registered and each fish registered gets a ticket for a special prize raffle to be held at 3:00 pm.

There will be raffles, food, beverages and music in the heated tent through-out the day. Entry tickets are only $5 and will qualify purchasers for a Remington stainless Steel model 770 .270 deer rifle with scope, Vexilar Genz Pack and a guide fishing trip on the Turtle-Flambeau Flowage with Guide Jeff Robl of Bobber Down Guide Service. You need not be present to win these prizes.

For more information, please call Donners Bay Resort at 715.476.2555.

Proceeds go to the promotion and enhancement of the Turtle-Flambeau Flowage.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.