Alone, million dollar challenge

• Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Great Slave Lake in Canada.
    Anybody watching?

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

Finished the season yesterday. Phenomenal! First season of Alone I’ve watched, but easily the best survival show I’ve seen.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I’ve been watching. It’s pretty good.

Gitchi Gummi

Finished the season yesterday. Phenomenal! First season of Alone I’ve watched, but easily the best survival show I’ve seen.

How were you able to finish the season? I thought they are only 5 episodes in so far? At least that’s all my dvr has recorded so far.

I love the Alone show – definitely the best out of all the survival shows. I’m curious if anyone will take down any big game this season like the guy who shot a moose last season. Looked like the one guy was closing in on a musk ox at the end of the last episode.

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tbro16 wrote:</div>

How were you able to finish the season? I thought they are only 5 episodes in so far? At least that’s all my dvr has recorded so far.

I love the Alone show – definitely the best out of all the survival shows. I’m curious if anyone will take down any big game this season like the guy who shot a moose last season. Looked like the one guy was closing in on a musk ox at the end of the last episode.

Guessing he watched the last completed season, not the current one. The “Colby” followup at the ends is kinda cheesy but it was interesting to see what all those folks have to carry around when they are out filming themselves. Definitely makes it way more difficult with all that gear.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

guy who shot a moose last season

Well that clears it up, I just finished last seasons show apparently! My bad.

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

Yes! One of my favorite shows! I saw on the last episode there were some flurries in the air. Winter is coming & we’ll see who built the best shelter to handle it!

Can’t believe the one gal didn’t have her bow with her when that Moose was 20yds away!?!?!? I think I’d be bringing that everywhere I went.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

the wife and I like watching this show a lot. This one and deadliest catch are two of our favorites

Great Laker

Yes! One of my favorite shows! I saw on the last episode there were some flurries in the air. Winter is coming & we’ll see who built the best shelter to handle it!

Can’t believe the one gal didn’t have her bow with her when that Moose was 20yds away!?!?!? I think I’d be bringing that everywhere I went.

I think the guy who built the mostly rock shelter has the best shelter for withstanding the winter temps. I was pretty impressed by the gal who just finished her fireplace last episode and used clay to seal all the gaps.

The one guy who is still building his main shelter is about to be in a world of hurt. Looks like he is going the log cabin route and is only about 1/4 of the way up. He waited too long and the log cabin approach is too time consuming.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

Thinking the one guy got the MuskOx . Looks like he may have finished it off by jumping on it ? Thursday night , looking forward to it . Being forced to carry a camera wherever you go has got to be a pain .

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Alright, down to the final four

Roland
    Amos
    Callie
    Kielyn

I thought a couple weeks ago Roland was a shoe in. Now, i’m all in and pulling for Kielyn.

2 guys, 2 gals.

Going to be a fun finish.
    What happens if more than one hit 100 days? Does anybody who makes get a million?

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

My money is still on Roland – good shelter, lots of meat, great outdoor knowledge. Now just needs to get some fat and he will make it. Only at the 1/2 way point and getting cold. 50 more days is a long time.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

That last episode when Amos woke up to a pack of wolves outside his shelter was insane. One of them was 5 yards away.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

That last episode when Amos woke up to a pack of wolves outside his shelter was insane. One of them was 5 yards away.

I would not like to face that situation with noting more than a bow and a handmade spear for defense. Those wolf look like they do not have a lot of fear of man. That is strange in such a remote area. I would think they would not get that close. Then again he does have smoked fish in his shelter. I would not be keeping that inside with me. Then again as bad as it’s needed probably worth the risk.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Ability to catch lake trout is going to be key from here on out. They really need the calories from fat real bad as cold as it is getting. Trying to make it off bunny meat won’t get it done. Or even the meat from that musk ox for that matter. The meat is way to lean. The 4 remaining contestants have already lost a fair amount of weight. Not sure how long they will medically let them go at their current weight loss pace. Fun show to watch. This is the 1st year that I’ve watched.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

How long before the ice is to thick for them to chop through it?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

How long before the ice is to thick for them to chop through it?

Kielyn did last week and got 2 trout.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Looked like the ice was less than a foot thick at that point. How long til it hit 2′ or much more? Wonder if any of the contestants brought a ice chisel.

That was awsome watching her reaction to catching those fish.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Ya once it gets to about a foot thick or more, they aint chopping through that with an axe. I’d have several holes already made and cover them with pine tree branches for insulation and as a visual marker in case it snows. It won’t completely prevent the holes from freezing but it should be easier to chop through a new layer of ice rather than start a brand new hole.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Ya once it gets to about a foot thick or more, they aint chopping through that with an axe. I’d have several holes already made and cover them with pine tree branches for insulation and as a visual marker in case it snows. It won’t completely prevent the holes from freezing but it should be easier to chop through a new layer of ice rather than start a brand new hole.

That’s what I would do. I’d start with them really large as well and then be sure to open them several times a day. I would fish like crazy now while it’s not as cold as it will get. As well as while they still have enough energy to do so. If they even have enough energy at this point.Catch and store as many fish as possible. No need to smoke them at this point. It’s cold enough to keep them for 50 more days now. You would think at some point if they have a decent enough shelter and enough food with fat, that they could simply slow down and do as little as possible to avoid burning calories. Hard to tell how far a person is willing to push themselves for 1million $. I guess that’s what make it interesting to watch.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Think I would have to put my money on Roland so far but sure seems to be 4 strong contenders. Injury or mishap could sure take anyone of them out quickly. Thinking there is another shelter fire coming up this week. That wont be good.

McCloud

Only 2 episodes left and fifty days to get to 100.
    That is a lot of time to squeeze in two shows, makes me wonder if anyone could hit 100 days. And if no one makes it that far what is the payoff?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Only 2 episodes left and fifty days to get to 100.
    That is a lot of time to squeeze in two shows, makes me wonder if anyone could hit 100 days.

Didn’t realize there was only 2 episodes left. If that’s the case, they aren’t squeezing 50 more days into it and no one is going to make it to 100.

Gitchi Gummi

Like last season, I imagine people will begin getting medically tapped. Last season, the competitors wanted to continue to go on but they lost so much weight that they medically could not let them continue… I see something similar happening here.

Mike W, I don’t believe a chisel is one of the items they can choose from for their 10 items but I do believe they can bring an auger. Participants can select 10 items from the below list. They can only choose up to two food items and cannot bring duplicate items.

Shelter
    12×12 ground cloth/tarp (grommets approved)
    8-mm climbing rope – 10M
    550 Paracord – 80m
    3-mm cotton cord – 40m (non waxed cord)

Bedding
    1 multi-seasonal sleeping bag
    1 bivi bag (Gore-Tex sleeping bag cover)
    1 sleeping pad
    1 hammock

Cooking
    1 large pot (no more than 2 quarts; includes lid)
    1 steel frying pan (no more than 2 quarts)
    1 flint or ferro rod set with standard-sized striker
    1 enamel bowl for eating
    1 spoon
    1 canteen or water bottle

Hygiene
    1 bar soap
    1 8-oz tube of toothpaste
    1 face flannel
    1 40-mm roll dental floss
    1 small bottle bio shower soap
    1 shaving razor (and 1 blade)
    1 towel (30” x 60”)
    1 comb

Hunting
    1 300-yd roll of a single-filament fishing line up to max of 20 lbs weight test + 25 assorted barbless hooks, no bigger than size 7/0, no lures.
    1 Primitive Bow Recurve or longbow + 9x Arrows + simple quiver OR arrow attachment.
    1 small-gauge gill net
    1 slingshot/catapult + 30 steel ball bearings + 1 replacement band
    1 net foraging bag
    1 roll 3.5 lbs of 20 or 21-gauge trapping (snare) wire
    3 lbs of one solid block of salt

Food (2 items max)
    2 lbs of beef jerky (protein)
    2 lbs of dried pulses/legumes/lentils mix (starch and carbs)
    2 lbs of biltong (protein)
    2 lbs of hard tack military biscuits (carbs/sugars)
    2 lbs of chocolate (simple/complex sugars)
    2 lbs of pemmican (traditional trail food made from fat and proteins)
    2 lbs of GORP (raisins, chocolate, peanuts)
    1 lb of flour (starch/carbs)
    1/3 lbs rice / 1/3 lb sugar / 1/3 lb of salt

Tools
    1 pocket knife
    1 hunting knife (blade edge length no larger than 10”)
    1 Leatherman multi-tool or similar
    1 sharpening stone
    1 roll of duct tape or 1 roll of electrical tape
    1 small shovel
    1 small sewing kit
    1 carabiner
    1 LED flashlight
    1 pair of ice spikes (studded walking aids for icy conditions
    1 scotch-eyed auger
    1 adze
    1 2-handed draw knife (blade no longer than 5 inches)
    1 hatchet
    1 saw
    1 ax

patk
    Nisswa, MN

The 4 remaining contestants have already lost a fair amount of weight. Not sure how long they will medically let them go at their current weight loss pace.

x2, most have lost 40 or so pounds just before the halfway mark. Can’t continue at this pace. They may be able to use a few less calories because they already have a shelter. However that should be offset the need for firewood will grow exponentially as temps drop.

I think the remaining 4 are doing awesome but can’t see any of them getting to 100.

maddogg

I don’t think they would keep the show going if it got down to only 1 person remaining for very long.
    Good survival show best I’ve seen.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

Fat is the key right now for who is left . Roland gleaning the fat from the Musk OX lips and nose was something else!

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Fat is the key right now for who is left . Roland gleaning the fat from the Musk OX lips and nose was something else!

Ya that man is hardcore and knows his stuff. He also clear he’s in it to win. When asked why he tried so hard to not spook the musk ox herd – he said because other competitors were only 5 miles away and he didn’t want to chase them into their areas. That’s a man that really want to win.

Gitchi Gummi

Ya that man is hardcore and knows his stuff. He also clear he’s in it to win. When asked why he tried so hard to not spook the musk ox herd – he said because other competitors were only 5 miles away and he didn’t want to chase them into their areas. That’s a many that really want to win.

I think that would be a relevant strategy in previous seasons where the last man standing wins. I don’t really get it for this current season because there could be multiple winners this year. If you survive 100 days, you win a million, regardless of the status of others.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

40 days remaining. 3 people remaining. season finale is 3 hrs long so it is possibly for someone to make it the 100 days needed for 1 million $. I think Roland has a good shot. If his side freezes he will find a way to get some fish and if so he will make it. I would think if you make it to 80 days or so you could lay around and conserve calories for the final 20 days. Should be a good 3 hr. Finale next week.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 112 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.