All I can do is Laugh

• papaperch

Long time ago fella I worked with opined about advice. Said it was the most worthless thing in the world. After a few second delay I finally did what he was waiting for and asked why. He stated a smart a$$ doesn’t need it and a dumb a$$ isn’t going to listen anyhow. I must say one of the truest things I have ever heard in my 73 years.

Today was a perfect example and why I should have listened to my friend so long ago. A new addition to our ever shrinking circle of friends ( one of the problems of growing old ) is buying a boat. Asked for my advice on the electronics he should install. There are 2 things in life that others consider me an expert on. One is firearms the other is marine electronics. Especially Garmin and Humminbird. When younger both asked if I would consider coming to work for them. Did some seminars for both companies.
    Where complete strangers were convinced to invest in what I was yammering about. Nothing major just doing it for friends that happened to own marinas or retail boat shops.

So anyway the new addition does a fine job of finding a good boat. Used but looking new but poorly equipped. So anyway asks my advice on which FF to get. Then asks me to find him one. Which I scour the internet and for 3 days can’t find a decent deal. Finally I stumble across a closeout that is 500 off normal price. I would not buy this unit for myself. But I know it is a great investment for him to learn on. 9 inch display GPS 2d , SI and DI. The boat has a 5 inch 2- d only locator installed .

Tell him the good news and he is rather blase about it. Says maybe later down the road but he is going to stick with what is installed now for electronics. I hope he is not going to expect me to fish with him in this boat. Because I am not going to handicap any of my fishing time with his model T thinking. To me it is like entering a 3 legged horse in a race against normal horses.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

You would not like fishing with me. I don’t need the stress of fixating over catching fish. But I agree. It seems some people ask for help than ignore the suggestions if they don’t like the answer.

OG Net_Man

Your 1st paragraph gave me a chuckle but you lost me on the rest.

So he changed his mind on spending extra money on new electronics and you are mad? Not quite the same as not taking your advice on which unit to purchase.

Because of your 1st paragraph I will not offer you any advice.

papaperch

Not mad at all. Just makes me wonder “if you are going to ignore” what I say. Why bother to ask ? Remember he asked me to find him one. I did not volunteer.

haleysgold
    SE MN

There’s another saying here that fits.

You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make it drink.

Red Eye

We actually have a Plant Manager that does exactly this. He will ask our opinion on something. Then basically tell us we’re wrong and do it his way anyway.

We say it a little different thanks to a guy at work.
    You can lead a horse to water, then shoot it. (His ex wife had horses.)

Roy

I see why you were frustrated but I would understand it more if he had asked you to find him one then said “no I’m buying this Lowrance instead”. I have asked people before what graph/rods/reels etc they recommend and if they know of any deals, only to realize I don’t want to spend the extra money at that time. Looking at graphs is exciting and fun to imagine on your own boat, but sometimes cost and technology intimidation can outweigh that. I hope you still fish with him in it, he’s probably excited to have not only the new to him boat, but a new friend too.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Today was a perfect example and why I should have listened to my friend so long ago.

It seems like you did listen to your friend so long ago. You certainly remember the advice he gave you. If you have the memory, you must have heard what he said.
    Advice given does NOT come with a mandate that it is right or wrong or must be followed.

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

My guess is once he found out the cost of all the other items he needed to purchase to outfit his boat, the cost of electronics at even a good deal was probably more than he wants to shell out right now and does not want to admit it. Give him a break.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I often fish out of a canoe with no electronics. Does that make me the horse or the water ?

KPE
    River Falls, WI

I often fish out of a canoe with no electronics. Does that make me the horse or the water ?

I think it makes you handicapped, if I’m reading the post correctly. Now I’ve seen it all here- hate for electronics and hate for no electronics. We’ve come full circle.

3Rivers

If a “friend” ever said they wouldn’t fish with me because of the electronics in my boat (or lack thereof) we would probably part ways right there.

I have a decent unit on my boat, but there are some days I don’t even turn it on.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

If a “friend” ever said they wouldn’t fish with me because of the electronics in my boat (or lack thereof) we would probably part ways right there.

I have a decent unit on my boat, but there are some days I don’t even turn it on.

^This

Electronics are great and definitely help IF you understand them and put in the time using them on the water. I don’t have the latest or greatest as some do, and that’s fine by me.

Sometimes I locate fish that I cannot get to bite. Sometimes I get fish to bite that I never marked, scanned, etc. Maybe I’m just a 3-legged horse too

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

100 percent. I don’t think I’d want that guy in my boat either. I’d have to tell him to get bent

ptc
    Apple Valley/Isle, MN

Did you ask him how much he was willing to spend or how much room he was willing to have a screen take up?

My guess is he got a bit of sticker shock and decided to stick with what he had. Take it as a compliment that he asked your advice.

Umy
    South Metro

OR:
    “You can lead a horticulture, but you can’t make her think.”
    Dorothy Parker – 20 th century American poet, short story writer, critic and satirist,

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.