It doesn’t get much better than this!

• Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

What a beatiful night on the water, check out that sunset! Tonights action was just as incredible as the last. We had a number of fish pushing 20″ that we threw back but no monsters. We boated well over 35 fish tonight and Tom kept his limit of nice 15″-16″ eaters! It was cool out, but with action like we had it was hard to find time to get cold

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Looks like you had the place to yourself too. Won’t be long and we’ll have to put the boats to bed for the winter. Good to see you out there enjoying the open water as long as possible.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

You’re right James, we did have it to ourselves. Most of the lakes in the Alexandria area are vacant this time of year and yet the fish bite like crazy! Like the title said, “Doesn’t get much better than this”

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

What type of structure and depth do you usually target for walleyes in your area at first ice? I would assume you see a real solid first ice bite on those walleyes in areas nearby to the spots you’re fishing now, eh?

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

It depends on the lake and time of day I’m fishing but I usually set up in 10-18FOW for my evening ice trips. This is usually right in the weeds or right on the edge of them.

If I’m fishing during the day I’ll have to push to the bottom side of the first break. They stage here before they make there evening run up to the weed edge.

You’re right James, the walleye action on the ice usually isn’t too far from where I catch em in the Fall

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Sounds pretty standard. Of course know the “spot on the spot” sure helps.

Looks like my travels will have me up in your area tomorrow. The weather looks decent… at least compared to what we’ve experienced of late. Got time to spend a few hours in the boat tomorrow afternoon?

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

James, I look forward to it! I’ll see you this afternoon

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

I hope the rain holds off

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I hope the rain holds off

It didn’t. Still had a heck of a good time though.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

I’m glad you had a good time James, it was great fishing with you! But next time let’s hope for a little better weather . . .

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I’m glad you had a good time James, it was great fishing with you! But next time let’s hope for a little better weather . . .

I’ll guarantee it will be better. Mostly ‘cuz that weather was really pretty crappy. Nothing like a 3 hour rain to make you appreciate the interior heat only a diesel pickup can kick out.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.