Alaska hunting regulation banning non-residents

• Norsky

I’m not sure if this link will work but it’s an article that is talking about the subsistence hunters trying to ban non-residents from hunting. It is totally unsupported by biological data, the non-resident hunters take a very small percentage of the total caribou.

https://www.themeateater.com/conservation/public-lands-and-waters/this-proposal-could-change-hunting-in-alaska-forever

There is a time to call in and voice your opinion, this could set a precedent for special interest groups banning non-residents and others from hunting many federal lands not only in Alaska but even in the lower 48.

CKT Outdoors
    NE

I find this interesting. I have some friends in AK and they are big hunters one day i was hoping to hunt with them so this may effect that sad

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Im pretty sure some of the methods of these “subsistence” hunters is the biggest problem.
    Run up to caribou in your 30hp boat and shoot them as they try to swim across the river, just a complete joke.

AK Guy

When the pandemic began last year there was a similar proposal/movement. “They” wanted to ban non resident, and residents from hunting public lands. It went nowhere. So will this.

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

Non-resident hunting is BIG Business in AK. It will never happen.

I have a 2 buddies in AK (Brothers) that moved up there in the 1970s. One lives in central AK and kills 3-4 “subsistence” Caribou every year for his neighbors. Elderly former hunters that could not survive without it. I assure you he doesn’t – “Run up to caribou in your 30hp boat and shoot them as they try to swim across the river”.

I have been fortunate to hunt there 5 times – – 2 Caribou.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Non-resident hunting is BIG Business in AK. It will never happen.

I have a 2 buddies in AK (Brothers) that moved up there in the 1970s. One lives in central AK and kills 3-4 “subsistence” Caribou every year for his neighbors. Elderly former hunters that could not survive without it. I assure you he doesn’t – “Run up to caribou in your 30hp boat and shoot them as they try to swim across the river”.

I have been fortunate to hunt there 5 times – – 2 Caribou.

It sure does happen as they show it on some of the reality shows… or pulling up on a snow mobile and shooting a moose off the seat. I am not knocking it, as this is how they eat, some may not hunt like that, but to say they don’t, is incorrect.

castle-rock-clown

Substance hunting is not sportsman type hunting. It is intended to harvest meat or fish for subsistence. It’s not and never was a “sport”.

On the aspect of non resident hunting / fishing, the state knows its very lucrative revenue for them.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.