Alaska fishing in July

• Jensen

Heading out for first time in 2nd week of July. Will be renting RV for 7 days and fishing out of a charter in Seward for a day and then river fishing or renting boat the remaining days. Any insight on what to pack waders,warm clothes etc. Also what else to expect. Will be mainly fishing salmon or halibut. Thanks for any insight.

The SCRATCHER
    spring valley mn

Well at least you were smart enough to get a rv. Bad you didn’t book 2 weeks! Lol I live there for 4 years so as a tourist remember as you putt down the road if you are holding up the traffic you could be ticketed the law is holding up 5 vehicles could get you pulled over! I used greatland guide service to get out halibut fishing, he is in ninilchic ak near Homer awesome guy and service. try to get to Homer and fish the spit!

AK Guy

If you’re on the Kenai Peninsula from the middle of July on, target the lower Kenai River for red salmon. It’s bank fishing (waders). Plenty of access points at places like Centennial Park, and Swiftwater Park. The ADFG reg book will list all the areas for the general public to fish for reds. It can be very crowded, and if you want to avoid the crowds, do not go fishing during banker hours (you can pretty much fish 24 hours a day because of the daylight). Hiring a guide to take you to a gravel bar is another way to fish around less people. But, finding a guide this late can be difficult because July is the most popular month to fish the Kenai (for reds and king salmon). Most guides are booked nearly a year out. If you need fishing gear, stop at Trustworthy Hardware in Soldotna. Best prices in the state. Enjoy your trip. It won’t be your last.

Jensen

Thanks I seen alot of videos of combat fishing which is not really my ideal style.

AK Guy

If you’re trying to avoid the fishing crowds, fish the lakes (there are over 3 million lakes in AK), or head up north of Anchorage into the interior of Alaska. The Kenai Peninsula is called Alaska’s playground and you’re coming during the peak of the fishing and tourist season.

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

I have been on 5 trips to AK. Three things you need.

1. Rain gear.
    2. Rain gear.
    3. Rain gear.

Good quality rain gear and cheap stuff. Best to have one cheap PVC rain suit – it drys faster than Gore Tex type.

Buffalo Fishhead

1. Rain gear.
    2. Rain gear.
    3. Rain gear.

Good quality rain gear and cheap stuff. Best to have one cheap PVC rain suit – it drys faster than Gore Tex type.

You forgot mosquito repellent or headnet.

Buffalo Fishhead

Dan Baker

Grab some Dramamine for the Halibut charter. Even when it’s not rough, it’s always rolling. Very different feeling than being on a lake.
    Dan

Jensen

That’s what I was wondering my buddy told me not to worry its just like the big pond he said🤣

Dan Baker

That’s what I was wondering my buddy told me not to worry its just like the big pond he said🤣

When I was out of Seward, it wasn’t rough. I’ve definitly been beat up more on Mille Lacs, but the swells are what gets you. The whole boat goes up and down, not just the bow or stern. Down a few non-drowsy dramamine before you board, and maybe a few at lunch and your’re golden.

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Hodag Hunter wrote:</div>

1. Rain gear.
    2. Rain gear.
    3. Rain gear.

You forgot mosquito repellent or headnet.

Buffalo Fishhead

Those “White Socks” will chew you up. They make mosquitoes seem friendly. Thermacell for me.

Don Carlisle
    Aitkin mn

Jensen have you secured any means of transportation. Depending on how many people you have with. We always use two rigs you can put 3-4 people in a full size car. And then we always get a cargo van put 2 guys in it. Now you have a place to haul all you gear. Car rental up there is really nuts… expensive and hard to find. U haul vans are cheap 19.95 a day even in anchorage and if you take for a week you get 750.00 free miles. The hardware store in soldatna is the spot for your fishing
    Gear they had everything you’ll need. There prices we great too. Another cool thing to do is go clam digger. You’ll have a blast catching all that fish. Only bad is shipping it home be prepared for sticker shock.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

When bringing fish home buy a cooler at the hardware store in Soldotna, they are about $20. Freeze everything, duct tape the cooler shut with your name on it. They have a freezer you can drop you cooler off at before your flight at the airport. It is cheap to bring it home as checked luggage compared to shipping it.

The SCRATCHER
    spring valley mn

I use to ship salmon back to mn to my dad freeze it and make a cooler look like a cardboard box and send it usps. This way thieves don’t spot your gold in a obvious cooler delivery in 3 days to north central mn

Jensen

Jensen have you secured any means of transportation. Depending on how many people you have with. We always use two rigs you can put 3-4 people in a full size car. And then we always get a cargo van put 2 guys in it. Now you have a place to haul all you gear. Car rental up there is really nuts… expensive and hard to find. U haul vans are cheap 19.95 a day even in anchorage and if you take for a week you get 750.00 free miles. The hardware store in soldatna is the spot for your fishing
    Gear they had everything you’ll need. There prices we great too. Another cool thing to do is go clam digger. You’ll have a blast catching all that fish. Only bad is shipping it home be prepared for sticker shock.

We have rented a RV for the week as our mode of transportation and sleeping spot. It looks as if we maybe a tad early for the sockeye run but hopefully find enough fish to enjoy the trip. Plan on on taking a charter 2 days and renting a boat the others or fishing the river in waders.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Swing into Deep Creek and watch them launch the halibut boats, pretty neat to see how they launch them big boats on the beach. We have a good halibut charter we use that launches out of there.

Jensen

Just returned. Charter got canceled due to wind conditions. Spent 4 days on river catching sockeye salmon and ran a rented boat the 2nd to last day and had a blast catching halibut and yellow eye and long cod and rock fish. Biggest halibut was 75lbs. Beautiful state will definitely be back.

Attachments:
    1. 20210713_201053-scaled.jpg

2. 20210715_145057-scaled.jpg

3. Screenshot_20210717-192108_Gallery.jpg

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Just returned. Charter got canceled due to wind conditions. Spent 4 days on river catching sockeye salmon and ran a rented boat the 2nd to last day and had a blast catching halibut and yellow eye and long cod and rock fish. Biggest halibut was 75lbs. Beautiful state will definitely be back.

Sounds like you had a sweet trip!
    Nice fish also. Congrats! waytogo waytogo

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.