AIS Update – Come on people!

• fish4all
    South Metro

True, but I still would prefer to see the spread slowed down as much as possible. I’d prefer ecosystems to stay as they were for hundreds of years for as long as possible. And you never know how an invasive is going to affect a lake. Could be positive or negative.

I agree with that statement. I would also add it really depends where you fish too. If you fish AIS free lakes most of the time your perception of the problem may be different than the person that fishes AIS infested lakes.

A good example is Lake Calhoun in the Minneapolis chain. By mid August you will have to pull your electric motor out of the water several times trying to get through the Milfoil bed in front of the access. You are also limited to few fishing techniques in this slop. Drop-shoting and punching one ounce weights through the canopy. It may have it’s benefits but there are also many draw backs depending on your point of view.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

No it might not be silver carp, it could be spores from a Japanese plant that could catch the jet stream. It could be mutant bull sharks. There were and is plenty of species that moved around before man’s short time on earth.

The only reason there is a plug law is because I’m guilty of transporting ais infested water with my plug in. Whether there’s ais or water in my hull or not. Guilty until proven innocent.

If went from Hager City to Red Wing to fill up with gas and back without pulling my plug I committing a crime.

Is the new American way?

Next it will be take away my ammo, I might shoot someone.
    Take away my knife I might hurt myself.
    Take away my beer, I might drive drunk.
    Take away my boat, it might have ais in it.

Whatever happened to the kids of the 60’s and 70’s that were going to change the establishment?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

You are bitter and throwing out horrible what’s next scenarios about something that literally takes 4 minutes tops.

Oh I know, its the principle…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Bitter? Could be. I laugh at ridiculous.

By law, twice a year I’m required to take out my plug because my boat refuses to go into MN for fuel.

You do realize WI calls the Mississippi River VHS positive and MN doesn’t.

Shall I pull my plug in the middle of the river to avoid transporting VHS into MN?

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Just drink the kool-aid. Don’t question anything after all we KNOW these people (DNR) are smarter then we are.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I should be drinking the same old swill you guys are passing around…?

This is one of those ounce of prevention deals you always hear about. You can introduce straw men and red herrings all day, but my point is follow the law, I think it will slow the spread. If people want to counter that thought, then I am willing to discuss it. My other point is the more we violate existing laws, the more ammo we give them to introduce more and more restrictive ones.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I’m not ready to toss the DNR all the way under the bus.

Uninformed groups or possible miss informed groups put pressure on political leaders including the Governor. Then he gives the DNR a directive and we end up with this.

It’s my opinion <- if a person drilled down to the working biologist and past the talking suits, there is an ais concern but nothing that calls for the craziness that’s going on now.

It’s going to be interesting what flavor Kool-Aid we’ll be given when we get a new Governor.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

The Kool-Aid will be green…..as in the color of money green. He or she will march to the tune of the group that funnels the most cash.

Pug I agree with the ounce of prevention i just wanna see a ounce of common sense coming out of St. Paul.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

…and a new commissioner.

You know I don’t agree with a lot of AIS laws. From the people I have had contact with from the DNR, there is no way I would throw them under the bus as well. There are a lot of good people there. And I ever never met one with a fevered fervor for AIS laws.

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.