Air Compressor Recomendation

• suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

My 5hp horizontal tank compressor just bit the dust. I cant be without compressed air! grin
    The motor just hums when I turn it on but its not seized. This thing is 25+ years old and the tank leaks so Im thinking of just tossing it. What are some options for something that will handle my few air tools (impact, ratchet and die grinder)but smaller than my old style tank? I may as well save some floor space if I can. I mainly use it for tires, the blower nozzle and rarely my air tools. Thanks.

Coletrain27

Does it have a capacitor on the motor? It could be as simple as that

sipple31
    West Central Sconni

If you do buy a new one take a peek at the California Air Ultra Quiet line.
    You would not believe the difference in decibels…

bigcrappie
    Blaine

I have a old Craftsman 5hp that has to be just as old as your old one. Never gave me any problems. First you have to figure out how much you want to spend and the capacity you want. Then Shop. Might want to find one adn wait till Black Friday deals come out soon also.

Deuces

Had 2 huskys take a crap on me and a workers is very temperamental, wouldn’t go that route.

Dewalts been great for me, not sure why I ventured away year ago

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Its got two and I looked at them but I cant tell if they are bad and dont know how to test. With the leaking air tank AND pump oil I am just ready to get a new one. I just need at least 5 cfm @90 psi for my air tools so the cheaper units are not in my future. Northern Tool has one that fits the bill. Right around $700.
    If I just needed it for tires I would get a cheap pancake like the one I have at the cabin.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Perfect, Let me know when you get it. I need to rotate my tires. LOL

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Coletrain27 wrote:</div>

Its got two and I looked at them but I cant tell if they are bad and dont know how to test. With the leaking air tank AND pump oil I am just ready to get a new one. I just need at least 5 cfm @90 psi for my air tools so the cheaper units are not in my future. Northern Tool has one that fits the bill. Right around $700.
    If I just needed it for tires I would get a cheap pancake like the one I have at the cabin.

iowa_josh

I agree with Sipple. Buy a quiet one. Mine is smaller but I can talk over it running.

MX1825

Blains Farm and fleet has a Dewalt 15 gallon for under $500 and 30 gallon under $700 right now. I don’t know how loud they are.

gregory
    Red wing,mn

My brother in law has northern tool North Star quiet series air compressor and it is a nice unit. Vertical 20 gallon I believe. Keeps up well also.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

My brother in law has northern tool North Star quiet series air compressor and it is a nice unit. Vertical 20 gallon I believe. Keeps up well also.

Thank you. That is the one I am looking at.

TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

I’ve been very happy with my Puma, 60 Gallon. I believe Puma makes the North Star compressors that Northern Tool sells.

One thing I would recommend is extending the drain valve, unless they have changed their design. The valve was directly in the center of the tank, so it was a little bit of a paint to get to. So, just adding a 90* elbow and a 7-8″ long pipe, then the valve made draining the moisture out much easier.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’ve been very happy with my Puma, 60 Gallon. I believe Puma makes the North Star compressors that Northern Tool sells.

One thing I would recommend is extending the drain valve, unless they have changed their design. The valve was directly in the center of the tank, so it was a little bit of a paint to get to. So, just adding a 90* elbow and a 7-8″ long pipe, then the valve made draining the moisture out much easier.

I got the North Star Vertical 20 and the drain valve is off to the side for easy access. Really impressed with how quite they are and the ergos. Looks good too. Fits in my garage better than the old horizontal unit.
    We’ll see what the test of time says but this could be the last compressor I ever buy. Thanks again.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>TillrLife wrote:</div>

I got the North Star Vertical 20 and the drain valve is off to the side for easy access. Really impressed with how quite they are and the ergos. Looks good too. Fits in my garage better than the old horizontal unit.
    We’ll see what the test of time says but this could be the last compressor I ever buy. Thanks again.

I am close to getting my shop compressor back into action, need to do some wiring yet but the plan is to have it outside so I don’t have to listen to it and it won’t take up space in the garage.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I’ve been running all MiTM and couldn’t be happier. Used for both work and farm

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.