Advice

• Isaac Tangen

Hey guys,
    Just looking for some advice here but I am from down 20 Miles south of Rochester, MN and have a trip planned for this upcoming weekend to stay at our family’s cabin near Battle Lake and do some ice fishing on Friday and Saturday. I’m not very accustomed to ice fishing in this area. Most trips I take are usually guided out of Mille Lacs, Red Lake, Lake of the Woods, ect. This would be a first for me in this area and am not sure what lakes to be at and what fish to be targeting. Mostly a Walleye and Crappie angler but am open to anything as this would be my fist time ice fishing in the Alexandria Area. If I could get some input on what your thoughts are regarding species, lakes, depths, ect., It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Call up Joe Segura and see if he’s available. He’s on this forum all the time.

Never used him but seems to be the go to guy in that area.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Thanks Guys.

Issac, Battle Lake isn’t exactly Alexandria area but both locations do have some great fishing lakes. Our main problem this year has been the snow. I love the snow but it is making getting off the beaten path with a truck much more difficult. If you’re fishing walleye I’d recommend a snowmobile.

Crappie and sunfish are much more accessible. The small villages have plowed roads out to them and they have pretty good fishing most of the time.

As far as lakes go there are a lot of options. Alexandria is an hour from Battle lake so I assume you’d want to stick to lakes in that area. Lida, Rush and Star lakes as well as many other small lakes will have decent panfish action and they will have roads to the panfish areas. Good luck!

tim hurley

I’m a bit worried about the snow too have a trip planned at the Ottertail chain-anyhow who plows these roads and how do you know if the lake you are interested has a road? (I know resorts plow many of them)

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

Spoke with a friend on Star this Saturday. Got his 4 wheeler stuck 5 times. Chasing panfish. He said he’ll wait till some melting before he goes back. Or bring a sled.

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

If you hit up Battle you will see a community spot right from the Battle lake landing. I believe they fish crappies/summies here. There will be plowed roads out from there. Plus there is quite a bit of structure that you could probably get to from there that has plowed roads to it. Not certain but the lake gets fished enough im sure there would be access to a fair amount of ares.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.