A Door To The Past

• LenH
    Wisconsin

This spring Gary Peters and I took out a camera crew from Discover Wisconsin to chase trout. I got to Gary’s house early and we talked a while. Gary was sporting a very unique flannel shirt. He told me he was gifted it by a friend. It was a vintage Woolrich Chamois Flannel. I admired it and asked what size it was. I felt it and was impressed by the thickness and how supple it was. He guessed it was about 35 years old. We shot the TV episode that will air on February 02. Gary’s vintage shirt was what stuck with me the most from the outing. I could not put my finger on why.

http://lenharris.blogspot.com/2019/11/a-door-to-past.html

Attachments:
    1. Door2Past.jpg

Rod Bent

Great story, Len. Thanks for sharing such a personal message.

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

I am only 37 years old, and I have a woolrich and Pendleton shirt collection that fills a closet… I happened to count them the other day and there are 37 wool shirts in there. Some came from my father and grandfather who I am lucky enough to still have both alive. Some of the shirts are 40 years old or more. I love them… my wife thinks I should give some away or donate them… I can’t do it. Every one of them makes me smile and sparks a different memory. I have bought a few myself and the new ones just are not as good as the old.

Another brand that I buy if I see it is Comfy coats. They made several different styles and if I see one in good shape for sale it normally comes home with me.

B-man

I used to run beagles on hare up north and got addicted to old wool coats and shirts.

I have some Woolrich, Johnson Woolen Mills, Bemidji Woolen Mills, Filson and some others.

Love that stuff.

LenH
    Wisconsin

I wear a 2xl tall if either of you ever want to part with your Woolrich.

Brad Dimond

Still deer hunt in the Johnson Mills buffalo plaid wool coat and Filson red wool pants I bought when red was still a legal color for deer hunting in Minnesota. Throw a blaze fleece vest on over it and I am still warm and comfortable. Granted, they don’t get worn other than the two week deer season but the old wool stuff wears like iron.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.