Add 5th battery?

• Curt

Looking for some advice please. I currently run 3 graphs on boat. 2 Helix 10’s and a 12. Starting motor makes them shutdown after trolling for some time with Ulterra. Question without getting too deep in the weeds as I don’t understand batteries all that well. For starting big motor, 300, should I go with 5th battery and dedicate it to just the graphs? OR, should I upgrade the grp 24 that is currently in it to a grp 31? For what it’s worth, I visited with the local Interstate battery guy this morning. He seemed to know his stuff well and he said he deals with this question often with all the newer graphed up boats. He highly recommended adding a 5th battery and having JUST the graphs on that one (he said a grp 24 would be adequate for that. Lots of knowledge on site so thought I’d throw it out there. Thoughts?

mojogunter

24 is way too small for 3 graphs. Go to a 31 and that should help a lot.

arcticm1000
    New Richmond, WI

Yep, the Interstate guy is right. 5th battery for graphs only. I would put as big of a battery as you can fit. And connect it to an on board charger and plug it in when you are done using the boat every time.

arcticm1000
    New Richmond, WI

I run 4 graphs off a size 27. No problems. It is quick and easy to put the Helix’s in stand by mode which uses a fraction of the power when you switch what part of the boat you are fishing out of.

arcticm1000
    New Richmond, WI

Trolling with your Ulterra should not affect how your Helix’s function. The Ulterra should have its own batteries. The main battery must be getting drawn down enough to make your Helix’s shut down when cranking the big motor. One option is to upsize your starting battery, but you would still likely have problems. Adding a 5th battery is the way to go if you have room.

Curt

Trolling with your Ulterra should not affect how your Helix’s function. The Ulterra should have its own batteries. The main battery must be getting drawn down enough to make your Helix’s shut down when cranking the big motor. One option is to upsize your starting battery, but you would still likely have problems. Adding a 5th battery is the way to go if you have room.

Yes, Ulterra has it’s own dedicated 3 batteries. Everything else is on starting battery, graphs, livewells, radio, lights. Thinking even if I upgraded to grp 31 for 4th battery would run into same problem after it was couple yrs old when starting big motor. Interstate guy pretty much alluded to that. He could have sold me a pretty expensive grp 31 but was honest about it. Think I’ll add 5th battery dedicated to graphs only, therefore no interference from other electric things, have room for it but not by much. Will then just transfer 4th onboard charger connection to graph battery as don’t need to recharge cranking battery. Thanks for input guys, much appreciated!

arcticm1000
    New Richmond, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>arcticm1000 wrote:</div>

Yes, Ulterra has it’s own dedicated 3 batteries. Everything else is on starting battery, graphs, livewells, radio, lights. Thinking even if I upgraded to grp 31 for 4th battery would run into same problem after it was couple yrs old when starting big motor. Interstate guy pretty much alluded to that. He could have sold me a pretty expensive grp 31 but was honest about it. Think I’ll add 5th battery dedicated to graphs only, therefore no interference from other electric things, have room for it but not by much. Will then just transfer 4th onboard charger connection to graph battery as don’t need to recharge cranking battery. Thanks for input guys, much appreciated!

This how I have mine setup. I was still getting interference on my graphs with this setup. I figured out that interference was coming through the 4 bank onboard charger when the trolling motor was running. I ended putting in toggle switches on the onboard charger wires that charge the graph’s battery. With the switches off, finally no more interference on the graphs.

Curt

Arctic-How can you tell if graphs have interference? I’ve heard of it that’s why I mentioned it. Graphs “seem” to work ok now but I’ve read posts about interference. 3 pretty spendy graphs I have but not by choice. They happened to come with boat, I’m not too techy with the graph stuff but will definitely consider what you mentioned about the toggle switch if it could possibly help and give a better picture. although these old eyes probably wouldn’t notice the difference… grin Thanks again for patience in helping me out with this topic! waytogo

arcticm1000
    New Richmond, WI

When I was trying to figure mine out I took a few pictures I will add them below. Depending on which boat you have and how the graphs were installed you may not have much interference. I am happy to help. Ask more questions when you have them.

Attachments:
    1. LIGHT_INTERFERENCE.jpg

2. FISH.jpg

3. MEDIUM_INTERFERENCE.jpg

4. BAD_INTERFERENCE.jpg

Bassn Dan

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>arcticm1000 wrote:</div>
    Will then just transfer 4th onboard charger connection to graph battery as don’t need to recharge cranking battery.

You DO want to charge your starting battery after each trip or it will be dead in one year. Chronic under-charge kills batteries fast.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

I would suggest you go to the group 31 AGM from interstate great battery more in money but I have tried many other options and this is by far the best. You will get double the charge cycles out of it. I have also installed a battery switch connected to one of my trolling motor batteries. If there is ever a need for extra power if the main battery is low just flip the switch on, wait a few minutes then crank the motor over. No need to buy another battery and change your onboard charger and less weight.

Phil Ames

I am not a battery wizard by any means, but why not just wire a second battery in parallel with the starting battery, and be done with it? That way you don’t have to mess around with another charger, and rewiring the 5th battery to the fish finders. Am I missing something?

Curt

Either way I would be adding 5th battery. Wouldn’t need another charger either as the 4th battery would still be used only for the big motor and kicker motor so alternators on both would keep it adequately charged, therefore 4th charger bank would go to new battery to charge after each outing along with Ulterra batteries. Should be good to go. Thanks again all for helping me out.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.