About to pull the trigger

• tominblaine

On a 2010 Kubota L2800 with loader less than 500 hours, I’d be using it for food plot work and some brush cutting, I’m looking for some input on the tractor model regarding any known issues from owners or friends of owners, or anyone with any tractor knowledge at all, This will be my first tractor, 1 more thing the dealer will charge $800.00 to convert to a quick change bucket. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Tom

Karry Kyllo

Sounds like exactly what I’ve been looking for. Kubotas are known as good machines and only 500 hours in 10 years has to be considered low hours. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy it.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

We picked up a mahindra last fall, mid size tractors are pretty nice. Kubota is a good unit, not sure on that one specifically. Unless you are swapping between the bucket and forks is there much of a reason to take the bucket off?

The_Bladepuller
    South end

A neighbor / cousin was rummed up and came over to help me with my landscaping project. He got closer to the edge than he should have. He wasn’t hurt but his diesel Kubota ran wild, pumped BLACK smoke and after 30 secs or so quit. Used a pickup. Pulled it onto its wheels. Added 3/4 a quart of oil & fired up & ran like a very oily, dirty top.
    I’d buy a Kubota just on that alone.

Attachments:
    1. 2020091195153324.jpg

Ripjiggen

Have Kubota up north on property and it gets used. Have a couple other like machines. Wouldn’t hesitate to buy another Kubota.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Kubota really has set the standard for compact and sub-compact tractors.

I talk to hundreds of food plot tractor owners each year. They own every color of the rainbow. Green, orange, blue, red, or purple, The #1 issue I hear across the board with compacts and subcompacts is if you consistently operate them outside of their capacity, you WILL bust stuff. What I have heard about Kubota is that when you bust stuff, they rival or exceed Deere for the price of parts. Which is saying something, believe me, because I’ve bought plenty of $5 green o rings and other overpriced green stuff that I had no choice but to get from Deere.

A couple of things to think about:

I believe that Kubota would be about 30 HP (?), if so it’s on the small side for even a 4-foot brush mower. Before all the Kubota guys go ape bleep on me, I didn’t say it wouldn’t run one, but if the going gets tough, you’ll be going at a crawl and working that machine plenty hard. The rule of thumb is 10 HP per foot of mower.

If you want or already have a 3 point disc, look at the capacity of the Kubota for lifting on the 3 point and compare it to the disc you have or are likely to buy. Make sure you have plenty of capacity to lift it.

Nobody ever regretted buying too heavy of a 3 point disc as long as their tractor can handle it. Size matters with discs. Weight is what gets the job done and light discs do not last if they are overworked or used in rocky ground.

Sounds like a nice machine and hard to find lower hour machines like that these days.

Grouse

castle-rock-clown

Kioti owner here. 35hp model with bucket loader. I bought it brand new last October and this year cleared about 3-4 acres of mixed woods. I beat the hell out of her. Only mechanical failures were 4 flat tires, and one blown hydraulic hose. I got a new one built at O’rielly auto parts and was back running in an hour. I’m not a disc guy, I run a 5’ King Kutter roto tiller. Tractor handles it just fine. If not needing that much soil working I used a weighted 5’ harrow drag. If that 2800 is priced right and the attachments you want to run are appropriate for it, but it.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Grouse brings up a good point. These new tractors a lot of times have the power but may lack the weight for some jobs, much different than the tractors I farmed with growing up, you just need to be aware of this when sizing equipment. Several of our food plots have wet spots so front wheel assist is nice as well. I still prefer the older farm equipment vs newer stuff, it seems to be built much better although we are on our second disc, bearing froze on the first one and broke a shaft.

tominblaine

Thanks a ton guys, the class 1 hitch is rated at 1433 lbs, I will be using a disc, should be big enough for my plots, I had rented a JD 2025 in the past and it did the job ok, doing a comparison this kubota has more of everything, the place wants 14.5K plus bucket mod $850, not sure if thats a reasonable amount, thats about a thousand more than what I’ve seen for same model with more goodies on it and comp hours, he has already checked me out and came back immediately at 4.9 @ 48 months??? Better than my truck, LOL!!! : )

BTW the look on the guys face is perfect

tominblaine

update, Kabouta deal didn’t happen, as it turns out he bid on it as a 2010 but it’s really a 2005 so he’s in a little deep and wouldn’t adjust price accordingly so I bought a 2014 Mahindra 3016 with 211 hours for the same price from a dealer.

I want to thank everyone for their input which is always priceless.

Tom

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.