A Happy Ending!

• stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I posted the other day about losing my rod and reel over the side of the boat, and I’m happy to say that I got it back!
    My scuba diving friend didn’t think we’d do well in murky water, where visibility was less than a foot, but I set up two markers per the ant trail and waypoint on my gps. I set them about 20′ apart, just a little longer than my boat, and told him, it should be between the markers, no more than 10′ to either side. He dove down and came right back up. “I can’t see a thing down there, but I’ll set a reference and sweep blindly with my arms,” he said.

Only 7 minutes later, he comes up 4′ away from one of the markers and asks, “Is this it?” And I knew immediately by the red Power Pro line, he’d found it!

I brought it home and had to clean up the guide wraps… they had turned gray with a coating of… something, and then I opened up the reel, and it was BONE DRY! No water inside at all.

So, if anyone has been on the fence about owning a Shimano Stradic, I just found a new selling point; the fit and finish is good enough to sit submerged in water for 4 days without taking in any water. It’s as smooth now as it’s ever been!

The mag spool Shimano Stradic 1500 MgF was only made for a couple of years and they’re nearly impossible to find second/third hand, so I am greatly relieved to have gotten it back.

James Almquist

Glad you got your rod and reel back !! Good to know that the Stradic’s are that waterproof. I own a couple and love the smoothness.

Ripjiggen

Dang thought this was about something else. whistling

David Anderson
    Dayton, MN

Great story. Reminded me of the time I was on the Mississippi River just south of Elk River, the jon boat swung around and my precious St. Croix/Shimano Chronarch went over. The current was swift and an exhausting effort produced nothing. I had to fly to Denver the next morning and on the way back stopped at the Bass Pro Shop and bought some huge 5/0 treble hooks. Once home I made a 3 foot hook assembly using small chains and a threaded rod on a chain and 6 drop back hooks. Brought a lot of stuff up but after 30 minutes I relegated myself to another lost cause. One last effort before I gave up and on this last try it appeared, hooked in the rod tip. The rod was no worse for wear but the reel was full of sand. Not wanting to ruin anything I sent it directly back to Shimano with a letter, they returned it fully cleaned and greased, no charge. I still have the rod today and it no longer just sits in the boat now that I added rod holders to the side.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.