A Better Mousetrap?

• belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Bought one of these to try out in the wheelhouse with hopes of better visibility. It lasted about 15 minutes. It takes too much Weight to stand it up and I got the smallest one available. Line wraps around it, its just a PIA overall and for that reason, I’m out.

Attachments:
    1. 16135992119281453796914961728398.jpg

usmarine0352

You can actually use a more buoyant standard Ice Breaker Bobber or Venom Bobber that is so buoyant it floats on it’s side and once the fish pulls it down the bobber stands up.

Also short enough so it fits the hole circumference.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Isn’t that what a rattle reel does?

Coletrain27

Bought one of these to try out in the wheelhouse with hopes of better visibility. It lasted about 15 minutes. It takes too much Weight to stand it up and I got the smallest one available. Line wraps around it, its just a PIA overall and for that reason, I’m out.

Are those the ones without the weights on the bobber? I have a couple with weights on the bottom of them so they stand up a lot easier

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

not if you want to play a fish on a rod and reel.

Coletrain27

Here is what mine look like with the built in weight so you don’t have to use as many sinkers. They work well for me

Attachments:
    1. F5FA2B59-E2A9-4F92-B960-094AB800B30C.jpeg

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I’ll have to check those out, Joe.

Mine aren’t weighted Colerain, I’m sure that would help but also adds a little more resistance, however if I caught bigger fish… doah

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Here is what mine look like with the built in weight so you don’t have to use as many sinkers. They work well for me

Any issues with line interference? I suppose if it were vertical that would help.

Coletrain27

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Coletrain27 wrote:</div>

Any issues with line interference? I suppose if it were vertical that would help.

Every once in a while the line will wrap around the top part but it’s worth it to me not having to sit right over a hole if your in a taller skid house or wheelhouse

munchy
    NULL

How long is that thing, 12 inches? I’ve never seen an ice floay that needed to be that big!

If I need a float my goto is the foam ice busters.

Coletrain27

How long is that thing, 12 inches? I’ve never seen an ice floay that needed to be that big!

If I need a float my goto is the foam ice busters.

There made to be that tall so you can see them if your in a skid house or wheel house that is off the ice a ways so you don’t have to be right over the hole to see your bobber

Dave maze
    Isanti

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>3rdtryguy wrote:</div>

Wrap the line from your rod around the rattle reel. A couple turns of the reel and the line from your rod is free.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>belletaine wrote:</div>

Wrap the line from your rod around the rattle reel. A couple turns of the reel and the line from your rod is free.

That’s the best idea I’ve heard! I’m gonna set it up right now!
    Thanks Dave!

Ripjiggen

Use a tip down rocker. I haven’t used a bobber in years.

Coletrain27

Sometimes if your at resorts and using there skid houses you don’t have the room for tip downs or have spots to attach rattle reels. I myself prefer a bobber in that situation.

In my own wheelhouse I still use a bobber. rattle reels when I want to be lazy

Troy Hoernemann
    Nevis mn

Okay I’m going to give out my big rattle reel secret in my ice house. Under my rattle reel I have a rod that hangs in a bracket with out a reel that my line go’s through the eye’s and when the rattle reel starts to rattle I pull line out and grab the rod set the hook and play it in like you would on a fly rod grin don’t tell anyone 😉

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Okay I’m going to give out my big rattle reel secret in my ice house. Under my rattle reel I have a rod that hangs in a bracket with out a reel that my line go’s through the eye’s and when the rattle reel starts to rattle I pull line out and grab the rod set the hook and play it in like you would on a fly rod grin don’t tell anyone 😉

that’s interesting as well. The bobber was worth the four bucks just to get this info!

Troy Hoernemann
    Nevis mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Troy Hoernemann wrote:</div>

that’s interesting as well. The bobber was worth the four bucks just to get this info!

No problem wave form home town neighbor have a good time catching fish

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Wow, Troy! I just saw that. It never ceases to amaze me just how small the world is.

Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>

Sometimes if your at resorts and using there skid houses you don’t have the room for tip downs or have spots to attach rattle reels. I myself prefer a bobber in that situation.

I guess if you think this takes up a lot room. It can attach to pretty much anything. If I can’t find anything I will attach it to my bucket I am filling with fish. 😂 You can keep using a bobber. No bobbers in winter for this guy for any species. More than one way to catch fish.

Attachments:
    1. EEF215AA-43E9-46E7-A587-4A9C307F2B44.jpeg

Coletrain27

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Coletrain27 wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>

I guess if you think this takes up a lot room. It can attach to pretty much anything. If I can’t find anything I will attach it to my bucket I am filling with fish. 😂 You can keep using a bobber. No bobbers in winter for this guy for any species. More than one way to catch fish.

When you mentioned tip downs I thought you were talking about the big stands that take up a lot of room And yes I’m not saying bobbers are the only way to catch fish. Everybody has there own preference

Coletrain27

This is what I thought you were talking about by tip downs jester

Attachments:
    1. 8A9AB05E-869A-4BA5-9056-88AEE6AA94EB.jpeg

Ripjiggen

This is what I thought you were talking about by tip downs jester

waytogo never understood the reason to haul those around either.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

If I’ve learned anything here over the years is that the topic of weather to use a bobber or not has two adamant sides. I’ve always found it interesting for whatever reason.

lrott2003
    Wisconsin

I would look into baitfeeder reel that will be easiest if you already have rods. Line goes out and there is clicking similar to rattle reel and you just throw the switch and hammer down! Other good ideas on here as well.

I have seen it where people leave their bobber topside on the edge of the hole and then when the fish takes it the bobber disappears into the hole so you know something is going on.

Good luck.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

No one knows about package peanuts anymore…knife a slit, put onto line near rod tip. If peanut starts to dance or goes for a drink, that’s a fish. Oh and you have to notice that the peanut has disappeared.

Nowadays probably use craft foam. They come in a rainbow of color choices.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Use your rod and wrap a few times around the rattle wheel.
    Use a bobber and mount an adjustable mirror to watch the bobber.
    Clothes line pin mounted on the wall or ceiling.
    There are actually several tricks you can use with a rod that detect light or heavy bites rather than using a bobber. You just have to start thinking.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

I bought a few of these mousestrap bobbers at the start of the season. I’m a big fan but it really matters on what sizes. They are nice outside the house too so you can see it while hole hopping.

For the 80% what you want is the smallest one in the weighted model. For the remaining 20% get the smallest non-weighted version. For walleye and larger demon jigs I use the non-weighted version. Sometimes I’ve had to add a small splitshot above the lure for the right balance.

They have a bunch mnore models that are bigger and I have no idea when you would use them. Maybe suckers for pike?

patk
    Nisswa, MN

No one knows about package peanuts anymore…knife a slit, put onto line near rod tip. If peanut starts to dance or goes for a drink, that’s a fish. Oh and you have to notice that the peanut has disappeared.

I didn’t until know. Thank you, I love this idea wave

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.