Chequamegon Bay

• cbeeksma
    Delta, WI

Spring is here and many of you will be excited to chase smallies on Chequamegon Bay. A word of CAUTION the bay is at least 18 inches below last years levels. Things have changed!!! You can launch your boat at Second landing (Reykdal rd.) but you have to be very careful just after you pass the end of the breakwall. You may not be able to get over the sand bar there is you have a deep v hull. They are currently dredging Kreher park.(The launch in town just east of the Marina) Sand Cut and Kakagon sloughs are very low and there will be places you have fished in the past that you will not be able to get to. Also, the wild rice is mainly high and dry so be careful in those areas. Water temp is already 55 deg. ( You cannot fish smallmouths until opener May 5th) so the prespawn bite may be short and sweet like last year. I just wanted to make sure everyone is careful out there and watch where you are running. Have a safe spring and I will post reports here after my guiding trips in May – Oct.
    Chris Beeksma
    Get Bit Guide Service
    [email protected]

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Chjris:

Good to here from you again!!! Thanks for all the good info regarding the hazards of the Bay this spring. Let’s hope we see some beneficial rains soon here in the North!!! Way to many opportunities for a bad fire right now also!!! I imagine that the smelt are all done running to this year??? Look forward to more great reports about the Bay!!!

Mark

jim_hudson
    Bayfield, WI

Mark

Yup, smelt have come and gone… Water is warming up quickly.. Should see bass on bed here shortly… But one thing is for sure.. Like Chris said, USE CAUTION!!!!

mnfish
    Lake Elmo MN

A friend of mine is coming up from Florida in June and I was thinking of taking him there. He’s staying in Hayward. Is there an online map anywhere of the area I can look at before making the trip? Just to get an idea of where to fish??? Thanx

jim_hudson
    Bayfield, WI

Couldnt find a decent Lake Map on-line, but this map found at this address will give you a general idea…

http://www.nps.gov/apis/planyourvisit/upload/APIS%20map%2007.pdf

The area most people concentrait their efforts on are the Sand Cut and Kakagon… Which when looking at the map is located, east of Ashland, just north of the marked area called Bad River Indian Reservation (you will also see the boat ramp icon, that is second landing, which is the ramp most use)

Kakagon is the cut just south of Oak Point and Sand Cut is the cut just north of there…

Or just hire Chris, he can show it all to you up close and personal..

cbeeksma
    Delta, WI

Mnfish, if you need any info dont hesitate to email or call me and I will help you out. June is a great month to catch smallies on the bay and I am sure they will enjoy seeing and fishing the big lake.
    Chris Beeksma

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.