Chequamegon Bay

• cbeeksma
    Delta, WI

The water temp is slowly creeping towards 60 deg and some smallies were making beds in shallow water. We had tough fishing on Fri as we found a few fish in both deep (8 to 10 ft) and on the banks. Sat became dangerous with a fast moving front bringing in 25 mph NW winds and 4 to 6 foot swells. Many a wet fishermen made their way into 2nd landing from the sloughs but one unfortunate boat did get swamped. My understanding is the two fishermen were rescued but a great lesson in respect for the big water. Things turned around on Sunday when I guided John Newland and friend Rod Otzenberger. They are up to fish for 2 1/2 days and decided to hire a guide for the first day to see what the best patterns were. We did catch a bunch of smallies in an area they stated they never would have thought of fishing. I really like those kind of spots! We did well fishing in 4 to 6 feet of water and managed to catch smallies including 2 over 20 inches on a variety of baits. Hot colors were in order for shallow running crankbaits and lipless crankbaits. We also did well on Mango jigs tipped with Baby Paca Craws and YUM craw papi’s. Here are a couple pics of beautiful pre spawn smallies. Back out tomorrow and the fishing should get better each day into June. Good luck and be safe!

Chris Beeksma

Get Bit Guide Service

cbeeksma
    Delta, WI

I am hoping to add one more pic as this was a gorgeous smallmouth in prime condition!
    Chris Beeksma

jboecker
    Illinois

Does “We did catch a bunch of smallies in an area they stated they never would have thought of fishing.” mean that the ‘JFN’ bite is on, Chris?

Glad to see you’re on the fish as always!!

Talk to you soon.

John Boecker

scottys
    Eagan, MN

We fished the bay on Sunday and Monday, Sunday we took fish on jerkbaits and grubs. We caught our fish in 2-6ft of water. Monday we had a very good day, in the morning we took fish on jerkbaits with 2 smallies going over 5lbs!! Then we went shallow, we seen fish everywhere, we took fish on tubes and grubs ending up with a 40 fish day!! What a great fishery

cbeeksma
    Delta, WI

John, Your group of guys are the only ones that get to fish the very secret JFN!! I was really tempted to try out there yesterday though but held off. lol
    Chris

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Chris,
    thanks for the report, the second picture is ONE fantastic looking Smallies, BIG and FULL BODIED. hope to get up there in a week or two.
    keep those reports a coming, another night of not much sleep. Thanks.
    Jack…

TBeirl514
    Covington Indiana

cbeeksme Is my grand dads steam locomotive fenced in downtown Ashland.I love that town.Fished a ton as a kid down at the hot pipe (power station).I can remember most of the town being down there when the smelt were running also.Good times

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.