Cheq Bay Report

• jmarksman
    Chequamegon Bay Apostle Islands, WI

Well I have been tardy on here for some time. I have been working with my daughter this summer and fall getting her more involved in the outdoors, hunting, fishing, trapping. So as any parent would know it takes up some time!

Any ways on the lake note out from Washburn to Bayfield and the near by river mouths and rocky shore lines along the way. Fishing has been good many browns, cohos, and a few lake trout are being picked up in the shallows 20ft and under trolling. Spoons, sticks in crazy hot colors have been the ticket. And casting from the river mouths #4 in-line spinners in flashy patterns have also been working well. With this last rain some more kings should be pushing in and up the rivers. Stay tune I will have a more detailed report here soon.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Great to see ya back John!!!

Mark

jmarksman

Well I made it out for a little bit today off the river mouths near by. Casting #4 in-lines gold/black was the ticket. Picked up a 2 browns in 20 min. Thisngs are starting to change good aroung the bay. Guys are still picking up smallies of both the Washburn & Ashland side of the bay. Live bait has been the ticket for us. I just started picking on my ice gear and getting set to get everything rocking for the up coming season. I’ll keep you posted.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’m really interested in ice fishing there. My cabin in not too far away. Looking forward to hearing more info.

jmarksman

We made it out near shore around Washburn there is 4″ of solid clear ice. Out from the end of the coal dock area it thins out but with these cool temp we are going to be on track making ice fast! I would stick to foot travel for right now however after the weekend you shoulf be good to go but rember to check and double check! We worked over some near shore browns with small uv buckshots and minnow heads. 14 ftow to as shallow as 5 feet work the breaks and the rocky points into the water. Stay tune we will be in full swing after the weekend. The Ashland side of the bay has 5+ inches in most spots I forgot to mention. Good luck stay warm!

jmarksman

Landed a nice brown off a Jaw Jacker today and another jigging Spawn and Northland UV buckshots. Did a lot more ice checking than fishing. Off the Washburn side near shore there is 5″ of solid clear ice. When you get out a 100 yards and get onto the newest sheet of ice it is 4″ check as you go I would say foot travel for another day of two. There is only a inch or snow on the ice. Stay tune. Was a cold one today but the next two day it looks like a short warm up.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.