Trout Tips

• jmarksman
    Chequamegon Bay Apostle Islands, WI

Well the Chequamegon Bay is sure trying to cap with ice, With any hope it will be in the next few weeks. I will keep you posted on the bite. With that here is the video link to this weeks Trout Tip. See you on the ice soon!
    John

http://youtu.be/rnYXrupIccc

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

Fish in your shack and just feet from under the ice they come in and you can sight fish them. Never show up on the flasher because they are just under the ice. Coho, Bows, Browns, Lake Whitefish are all fish we saw right below the ice. COme large Smelt too. Plain spoon with no minnow head was one successful setup for us.

Few weeks as in after the 1st?

salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

are off of the river mouths usually the first places targeted, before shifting out to the islands as it freezes up?

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

When the ice is ready you can see where people are fishing and tha tis where the fish are. Locals know where the fish roam.

Coal docks is where I was a few years ago.

salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

So the best chance for a first timer to find fish is to just walk out to whereever they see people then? That doesnt sound safe at all to be honest, as Ive never ice fished lake superior and have heard plenty of ice horror stories.

ajs
    Mellen,WI

Stop at river rock inn or anglers all bait shops and they will be able to give you current ice conditions and get you headed in the right direction to get on some fish. As soon as she freezes i will also be out just about every weekend.

Ajs

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

CH bay is much different than Lake Superior.

You always use your own judgment. Once the ice sets in up by the coal dock people drive their trucks out and I was fishing in February on 24+ inches of ice. Go talk to the local baitshops.

The fish just circle around and there is not a structure in that area that you fish. You may catch a bunch or none at all.

jmarksman

You can keep up with up to date info right here my self and a few others form the crew will be posting current reports. As for coal docks off the Ashland side most often you are good to go. Off the Washburn coal dock STAY AWAY from the end there is so much current off the end if it does ice over it is only inches. Stay away from the north ans south ends of the light house wall if there not wide open the ice there is only inches thick. Feel free to ask here any time or pm me. Early ice by the river mouths can be good there are a ton of other spots to fish them as well. Off of Bodiens, Souix River, Onion River, Off washburn from the coal dock to Houghton pt over to Long Island area and may spots off the Ashland side.

salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

nice to hear! Is the ever safe ice in the bayfield/red cliff area, or have you ever tried going out in siskwit bay? these are the areas Ive fished during the summer but have never tried in the winter.

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

Quote:

You can keep up with up to date info right here my self and a few others form the crew will be posting current reports.

Awesome!

A couple years ago it was tough finding someone up there to give updates. The ice on the Ashland docks like you said is a pretty popular spot. It took us a day to figure out the fishing.

I wanted to hit the Islands but I have been told the conditions change too fast and I should just hire a guide.

jmarksman

Out of Bayfield and Red Cliff both many times, with the exception of last year with the crazy weather the fishing in these areas was short lived. As for Siskwit Bay On a good ice year and even on a good ice year if you plan to ice fish that area drag a small boat along to be safe pay close attention to the wind direction it dont take much for that ice to move and you could be in some real trouble. The years I was able to get out there and fish it was awesome!I dont think we will see ice there and If we do I’d say it wont be much at all.

ajs
    Mellen,WI

Quote:

Quote:

You can keep up with up to date info right here my self and a few others form the crew will be posting current reports.

Awesome!

A couple years ago it was tough finding someone up there to give updates. The ice on the Ashland docks like you said is a pretty popular spot. It took us a day to figure out the fishing.

I too will be reporting pretty steady throughout the ice season.

Ajs

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.