Any updates from the Bay?

• crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

Mike “Suzuki” Yager and I are taking my 10 year old boy up to Cheq. the weekend of August 11th for a Smallie adventure. We’ve never been there before. Any insight or suggestions would be appreciated via PM or response here.

Thanks A lot!

Mike Lee

cbeeksma
    Delta, WI

Mike, Smallie fishing on the bay is very good right now. #10 Rapala X-Raps, DT-10’s and Rippin Raps have all been very good this week. We had quite a few hit and misses also on a junebug colored craw on a 1/4 swim jig body. Weeds in 10 – 12 ft of water and of course on the rock pile. The weeds will remain your best bet into mid Sept….Beautiful weedbeds right out in front of Second landing….

Chris Beeksma
    Get Bit Guide Service

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

Thanks for the info Chris. We’ll be driving up from Trego. Where is “second landing”?

Mike

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Take 63 north to US 2, take right to Ashland, through Ashland to Reykdal Road about 3 miles east of Ashland. Take left on Reykdal, drive north to landing. Look for Johnson Road about a mile before you get to Reykdal.

Mark

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

Thanks much! I had found the access using Google maps but of course it wasn’t named so I didn’t know if I had the right one. Turns out I did!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Thank you both.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

We’re going for bass but curious if there are walleyes to be caught? With hot summer water the norm I would think a couple eyes from those cold waters would be mighty tasty this time of year.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Suzuki:

Check out Jim Hudson or Aron Kasten’s reports/webpages as they have both having a pretty good year regarding ‘eyes.

Mark

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Chris, it was nice running into you on the water. We appreciate the info you shared with us. Definitely a cool fishery we are hoping to see again.

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

Chris,

I want to echo what Mike said. Thanks for your help. I did feel a little overwhelmed though. When you said 10-12 ft. weeds, I didn’t expect to find literally miles of them. It was like trying to find a needle in a haystack. We didn’t catch a weed fish at all. All our fish were on deep rocks, and only one was caught on a crank. The others were “sucker fish”. I was also amazed at how shallow the water is up there along shore. I’ve seen lots of early season reports of people “fishing shallow water or shoreline structure” and wonder how in the heck you can get that close to shore without getting beached on the sand. I definitely want to try a mid-late June trip next year in hopes of finding some shallow water fish.

Thanks Again,

Mike

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.