Putting in the time

• jim_hudson
    Bayfield, WI

So, we are “water” locked… Dang warm weather and wind!! We still have open water around us on all sides, not allowing us to get into our usual February fishy spots – mainly anywhere that Lake Trout live. And sad to say, we probably wont see those areas this year.

But, luckily, we still have tons of options out here to keep us busy, and we’ve been putting in our time chasing down more and more bites to keep rods bent.

Shallow water trout has been the mainstay, browns and splake. And we’ve really been putting in our time here, going through a week period where the bite was down right tough. Things seem to have stabalized now, and we are catching a few more fish each day, with an occasional coho and whitefish in the mix too. With this, we have been running from Washburn to Red Cliff, hitting multiple spots and multiple depths throughout the day to catch active fish. Lots and lots of sniffers around. So, cutting holes and showing fish different angles along different depths has been key in my book..

Also, downsizing and changing colors throughout the day have been critical. Some days we are fishing 1/16 ounce Forage Minnows or 1/16 ounce slow falling Buck-A-Roo Hair jig to get bit, using the smallest shiners or even wax worms to entice the bite.

Either way, putting in the time and effort and staying focused has kept us getting fish each day. February Trout fishing is never a huge numbers game here on ice that has been around for awhile – so persistance is key and the rewards are great when you get hooked up with a great Splake or Brown.

brianjkuphal

look on the bright side,less ice this year means the planer boards will be deployed that much sooner in spring,3 years ago i was trolling bark bay in march had a blast…….

superiorfishing
    Hastings,MN

I can only hope we can get out there soon!!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.