Bowfishing practice!

• john_steinhauer
    p4

Thought i would see how everyone practices for bow fishing. i practice by shooting my bow all year at anything i cant think of from targets to ariel disk ill hunt deer and small game threw the hunting season but when it comes down to shooting under water i will take any size pop bottle and fill it with water and tie i string to it so it sinks and throw it in the water and will shoot at it under water and if i got a friend with i will have them pull it threw the water to so its like a swimming fish the main reason for the string is to ALWAYS be able to get the bottle out of the water keeping our waters clean is very important to me hope this helps some people -) now how dose everyone else practice ?

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

This sport is very interesting to me…could you guys post some pics up of your rigs with weights of draw, etc? Thanks!!!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

What Chris said!!

I went out once with a friend in 1987. We were wading down by Hastings and it was a hoot. I don’t recall if I ever hit one and would guess I didn’t because I think I would have remember that.

Then it poured rain and ended our trip.

I never bowfished again, but would love to have a chance to do it again…2010 style. waytogo

john_steinhauer
    p4

Ill post some pics of my rigs i have three total two out of the three are older bows i use when wading in water or i let friends use if they want to come with and my other bow is my main bow i shoot all the time its a mathews drenalen set at 29 inch draw at seventy pounds i shoot ams arrows with a muzy point and use ams reels on all my bows my mathews is a little over board but i like it on big fish in deep water and fare shots seems to do the job great -)

john_steinhauer
    p4

i have not got a chance to take pics of my rig set up yet but here are some pics to geve you a feel for the products i use waytogo pics from top left to right ams bowfishing reel,next two are muzzy broadheads, basic bowfishing arrow same style i use with the safty slide to keep your line out in front and out of your cams and limbs , mathews drenalin mine set at 29 inch 70 pounds, and a roller arrow rest with gaurds to keep my arrow in place smash

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Are lasers on bow legal for bowfishing? whistling

john_steinhauer
    p4

Sure lol so are heat seeking broadheads they work the best threw the ice -) -) -) -) -) -)

john_steinhauer
    p4

lol now thats a good one guess i have never checked into that im sure if everyone cant use one that disabled people could

mncarpediem

Hey Chris this is Brian….Crossbows are only legal in MN if you have a permit from the Commissioner of the DNR. Basically one must be disabled. I will try to get a picture of my bow and set-up yet tonight.

mncarpediem

Alright Chris and Brian here you go…..I have an Oneida Osprey bow outfitted with a customized Muzzy spincast reel. The reel seat (holds the reel to the bow) is made by a friend and its working its way onto the market, by far the best reel seat I have used. And for the rest I have an AMS Wave rest.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Brian? Are you sure that isn’t a Zebco? grin

mncarpediem

Nope….I have two of them also, Zebco 808 bowfishermen. Old ones had more chrome, newer ones are black. I know the 888 is also used by some guys.

john_steinhauer
    p4

i know i few people that use them style reels is there and pros or cons over the ams reel i use i know with mine i can get the big game kit that has a float that the string ties to for bigger fish so you cant let the fish pull the line out and follow the float never used it but it could come in handy some day -)

mncarpediem

You cannot go wrong with the AMS reel, its by far the best well built reel for bowfishing. To me the real benefit to a spincast is I am able to retrieve my arrow faster. If you shoot a lot of arrows plan on going through a few reels for one AMS reel.

john_steinhauer
    p4

Yeah i havenever tried one of them i went from the spool that screws in the front and it couldnt keep up with the arrow speed so i went strait to the ams

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.