9 Tips for Pre-Season Scouting

• Tony Capecchi

I spend too much time and money (per my wife) at Cabela’s, so I figure I might as well spend too much time reading their Cabela’s guide tips, etc. since that is “free!”

Here’s a Cabela’s list of 9 tips for pre-season scouting. A couple common sense things, a couple interesting items to consider.

Here’s the link:

http://huntfishmanitoba.ca/blog/2018/09/06/cabelas-9-tips-pre-season-scouting

I’m curious among In-Depth Outdoors folks, if you were to make this a list of 10 tips instead of 9, what’s the one tip you’d add?

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

Tony:

Here’s my thoughts to begin with… A great list if you’re in bear area. If you’re not, then you may have another tip or two to add as even here in northern WI/MN, I wouldn’t be real concerned. While there is a chance you could wander into a black bear sow and have her be with cubs, it would be an odd circumstance…

My tip of most importance is water, while it is necessary, if I have streams in the vicinity, I usually walk those to start my scouting at there are always game trails crossing in rapids/riffle areas. I will be scouting a new are near my new house and there are no streams, so I’ll be looking at the couple of pothole lakes just out the back door. Once those are marked, then I can expand the search… Also while grouse hunting I will waypoint scrapes/rubs, which were being freshened as of yesterday.

These hints apply to the big woods of the North, where agricultural lands are miles away.

Mark

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

1 and 3 where probably of any use…all the others had to do with selling you a trail cam LOL (or was that LLOL).

Pre scouting for me is very basic…try to find major deer areas and locating a mature buck. I’m not toooooo concerned with my human sent where I’m at but pending your area, it could be a huge factor.

I’m primarily looking where a bunch a heavy used trails meet in an area and then find areas like that, that have buck sign like rubs and scrapes. Thats most of my pre-scouting. once I find those areas, its butts-in-a-stand scouting while hunting. I own a nice light climber that’ll move around pending where I’m seeing the deer move.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

1. Understand how the deer (or other big game animals) use the land. Use trail cams and observation stands to study movement and patterns.

2. If you own the land or your lease allows improvements, make a plan and improve whatever you are lacking. Food, different cover types, predator control, and water are all things that can be added or improved if they are lacking. Improving hunting property is satisfying all on its own and leads to better hunting.

3. Constantly improve your knowledge of techniques. My “area of study” this year is fake scrapes, but that’s just one example of the many areas where we can improve our knowledge and add to our bag of tricks.

4. Be mobile. Fixed shoot houses are increasingly popular, but especially for bow hunting, it helps to be able to quickly alter stand locations to take advantage of current movement patterns and to position stands for different wind directions.

5. Hunt control, not scent control. The best scent control is a wind blowing toward where the deer ain’t. See tips 1 and 4 for more.

6. Don’t underestimate the power of food. I strongly suspect the vast majority of deer are shot while making their way to or from food. Even in “farm country”, good food gets scarce as the fall progresses. Deer will always find the highest protein currently available. Grow more and better plots if you can, but also learn and hunt the travel routes to/from the current “best available” food sources.

7. Learn to use your optics to see through brush and timber. This takes time and concentration. A steady rest or tripod greatly improves results. Don’t discount the usefulness of a spotting scope even for “big woods” hunting.

8. If you aren’t practicing year-around and from realistic field positions with your weapon of choice, you’re not as good of a shot as you could be. Nothing ruins a good hunt like missing. Firearms hunters especially need to stop impressing themselves with benchrest groups and get realistic with shooting from standing, prone, sitting, and shooting stick positions. The vast majority of rifle hunters can barely shoot pie plate groups when challenged with shooting from a real field position. Don’t be that guy.

9. Don’t discount hunting when everyone else has packed it in. Early, late, bad weather, etc.

10. Hunt YOUR trophies. The hunting media is infected and obsessed with “hosts” shooting large animals in prime areas and making it look easy. We can’t all hunt elk in New Mexico or whitetails on a private farm in Illinois and we don’t all have guides who call us in only after the animals have been scouted, patterned, and all the pieces are in place.

My trophy is the deer that I watched grow up on my own property and that I hunted with my own knowledge. Hunt your own trophy, your own way.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.