75hp Yamaha Tiller Issues

• busse3775
    Fargo, ND

Have a 2003 75hp Yamaha 4 stroke tiller that I have never once had a problem with until just two weekends ago when I was out at Devils Lake and went to start the engine and got nothing. Have checked the battery and all connections and am 100% sure it is not that. Brought it to a mechanic to look at it quick at Devils Lake and narrowed it down to either being the starter solenoid or the wiring relay going to the solenoid. Replaced the starting solenoid thinking it would fix it and still got nothing when I went to start it. Looking over all the wiring it looks like it could be a huge pain in the a** to figure out which wires are bad. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue or have any advice?

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Are you sure it’s in neutral? I had a neutral switch that was going out once, and that caused some headaches till I figured out what the issue was.

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

Been there and done this. Nothing worse than being way out on LOW and turning the key to head in and nothing happens.

Okay, to help determine if the switch is bad try wiggling/jiggle the shifter while in neutral and holding the key in the start position as if starting the engine. If the starter engages that would tell me it’s the switch. There are no adjustments on this motor from what I have found. Clear as mud?

I’m willing to bet the switch is bad from what you have described.

Shoot me a PM with your number and I can discuss if need be. waytogo

busse3775
    Fargo, ND

I made sure it was in neutral, but is there any way it could be getting stuck? I tried moving it back and forth several times and still got nothing. Weird thing is that every once in a while I will try starting it and it fires right up, then shut it off and try starting it again and nothing. This rarely happens but has happened twice now.

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

You want to wiggle/jiggle in neutral and hold the key in the starting position.

busse3775
    Fargo, ND

Yeah I was in the middle of Devils Lake when this happened, good thing I had a screwdriver and arched it over the two nuts on the solenoid so it would start. I tried wiggling/jiggling the neutral shifter but never had the key turned like you stated to do. I will have to try this.

Joe Bara

Check if there are any fuses in the engine compartment. Yes, it could be as easy as changing a burned out fuse. Had that happen to my Johnson. Just a thought and easy to check out.

Joe Bara

I have a service manual for a F90 on cd. I may be able to send it to you, busse377.5

busse3775
    Fargo, ND

I went through all the fuses and they were all good. I am guessing a service manual is different from an owners manual?

Joe Bara

I am guessing a service manual is different from an owners manual?

Yes. Covers everything about your outboard.

Mocha
    Park Rapids

I went through all the fuses and they were all good. I am guessing a service manual is different from an owners manual?

Yes the service manual is what you want. ITs is the same for the F75 as well as the F90. If JoeBara has one on PDF I would suggest getting it. Good resource. IMHO

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Funny had the same thing happen to me on Olson’s reef this weekend. Will be watching responses as well. Thankfully mine started an hour later and got me in, hasn’t started since.

FWIW I’m working my way backwards replacing old components. Ignition switch, kill switch, etc. Cheap fixes and will make me feel better next time shooting out into the middle of a lake with 3’ers going.

busse3775
    Fargo, ND

Funny had the same thing happen to me on Olson’s reef this weekend. Will be watching responses as well. Thankfully mine started an hour later and got me in, hasn’t started since.

FWIW I’m working my way backwards replacing old components. Ignition switch, kill switch, etc. Cheap fixes and will make me feel better next time shooting out into the middle of a lake with 3’ers going.

Sounds like this problem has been a reoccurring issue. I am going to go over mine again tomorrow evening and check out the neutral safety switch, hoping that is the problem. Just to give you a little piece of advise if something like this happens again. If you have a screwdriver or even your metal fishing pliers you can start the motor by arching it across the two nuts that are on the starting solenoid.

Joe Bara

Service manual is in the email.

busse3775
    Fargo, ND

Service manual is in the email.

Got it! Thanks Joe appreciate all the help!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.