73 vs side view question

• sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I have 2 units on my boat with 2 transducers(opposite sides of the motor). I am getting interference from my motor shaft on both of them when in shallow water(15′ or less). Does that mean I have the transducer too high or is that normal? I have them mounted on transducer boards attached to the boat so I can move them some, but don’t want to get them too low in the water. Right now they are flush with the bottom of the boat. I do lose bottom at high speeds when running 2D, but they hold the bottom when in sideview.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I’m curious for 2 ducers, split the side view with each sides ducer?

How low does your shaft sit when down?

Could measure mine when I get home and see how it compares if that helps.

sticker

I usually run one on map and one on sideview/ 2d. But sometimes I run both graphs on sideview to get full coverage. Justr wasn’t sure I needed to or if one should give full coverage.

I would guess the shaft is 16-18″ below bottom of transducers, but I will check.

So you don’t have issue with the shaft cutting off the sideview?

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Dang, i forget I have an extended transom. My ducer sits forward at least 12″. Anything I can relate to with my unit maybe apples to oranges.

Recall past posts on subject and have to get use to trimming motor up for less disturbance.

Reef W

I have to trim my motor up a bit for it to not block that side. It’s not high enough to interfere with putting around at low speeds. I’m not sure how the motor wouldn’t interfere unless you have a stepped hull or maybe a jackplate, the transducer is pretty long.

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

I also trim up a little bit when i’m using side imaging. If I lift the motor up 4 inches the image is perfect.

sticker

Yep, I was surprised how little I had to raise the motor to stop interference. I hardly run 2d at all anymore. Love the image that the side imaging gives. Can’t say I can pick out fish very well yet, but I am learning.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.