6yr olds first turkey

• mattgroff

Picked up the youth crossbow from my buddy on Friday and with a few shots at home for good measure we were good to go. My son has been following along for a few years now weather its ducks or geese or deer or turkey he is always down to go. Well this year it was his turn to try and bag a bird. With myself and some of my friends tagged out we decided to give it a try for his first time. Saturday morning came early and a lot of gobbling in Rosemount but the birds went the other way. So I knew the next morning we were going to the spot that we have already shot 4 toms out of.(all with bow) so Sunday we got up about 4 and headed right down the road from are house in Inver grove and with the gobbling off in the distance I was a little worried. About 6:15 the got fired up and it didn’t sound to far away. Than about 150 yards down the roadway I seen 3 hens come out of the woods. Not to far behind them were a monster tom and 6 or 7 jakes but they all followed the hen the other way. As my son was a little disappointed I told him to hold tight naturally the birds have headed are way usually they like to be in this part of the green field because of where the sun hits it at that time in the morning. After about 20 min I heard a hen Yelp right next to the blind. I knew it was going down as I peeked out and she was standing within a few feet away. As she walked away I got the shooting stix set up and the crossbow on it. As I pulled down the window I looked and 2 more hens were walking by. As my son got ready I looked out and within 5ft from the blind was the big tom. He started laughing so hard it made me laugh the bird got a little skidish and by this time he was mixed in with all the jakes. As the slowly started to walk away I said shoot the tom in the back put the top dot on it and squeeze. Well dad didn’t have the safety off. lol finally they broke up and the tom and a jake broke off and were walking to the right at 30 yards the tom was walking a little faster and I slid off the safety and in mid laugh he put the 30 yard dot on the bird and squeezed. I thought he was shooting the tom. But when I looked the jake was flopping on the ground. I said what happened he said dad I said screw it lol I’m shooting the jake. As we both laughed and almost cried we got out of the blind and walked up to a stone dead beautiful jake. He couldn’t believe it and either could I. What a beautiful morning in the blind with my son and to think he is only 6 I can’t imagine the monster I have created. What a blessing

And to think now I am sitting on lake pepin with the whole family having a beer. I say it’s been a damn good day

Attachments:
    1. image-69.jpeg

2. image-68.jpeg

3. image-67.jpeg

deertracker

Proud father moment right there. The smile says it all. Give him a high five for me.
    DT

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Very nice!

mattgroff

Thanks DT . He smiled when I gave him the high five.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

That is very cool, congrats to him and Dad!!! yay

mattgroff

Thanks guys. He took the beard to school. Lol

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.