60 hp Evinrude trouble

• yahbuddy
    Holmen, WI

I have a 1994 60 hp Evinrude that after running for 30 min or so starts bogging down. After pumping the primer bulb 3 or 4 times fixes the issue for awile. I replaced the quick disconnect, gas line and primer bulb thinking this was the issue but it still happens.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Carefully check the under-the-cowling fuel lines for cracks and air leaks. Replace if in doubt.

Otherwise, agree with Wayne. Fuel pump.

Grouse

aleb
    Butler county Iowa

Sea foam

Iowaboy1

submitted this once already and am not sure why it didnt go through,so I will start over.
    is the vent open and clear??? if it is restricted,it can do this also.
    is the fuel screen at the fuel pump clogged?? if so,clean it.
    is the screen on the tank pick-up tube clean?
    if this doesnt help,prime the carbs with the bulb so that it will run a minute or so,pull the fuel supply hose off of the top carb,put an extension on it and hold it in a small container,start the engine and let it idle,you should see a fairly steady strong stream coming from it,if not,the pump is weak,and it is fairly simple to repair or replace either way.
    make sure you have it in water,or a hose hooked to the motor,I realize you already know that,but mention it as I have seen them run while testing,and the impeller gets burnt up in short order.

Bryan Myers

It definitely sounds like a fuel supply issue, and if all is good up to the pump than more than likely that’s what it is. If your engine still has the VRO pump on it you may want to just convert it to a to a non VRO pump and pre mix your fuel to save some money.

yahbuddy
    Holmen, WI

I did remove the VRO oil tank and lines 4 years ago and have been pre mixing my gas. It still has the original VRO fuel pump on the motor. If it is the fuel pump is there a non VRO version that is not so expensive? Thanks for the replies.

Iowaboy1

google, maxrules,they have the parts you need,and will give you instructions on what to do to eliminate the vro. good luck!!

Bryan Myers

Yes there is a fuel pump that will bolt right on and there are a few aftermarket companies that make them or you can get one from BRP too. I have had pretty good success with the Sierra branded pump over the years, if you don’t want or can’t find an OEM pump.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.