6-20-15 Walleye Report

• just-fish
    Portage, Wi

I grew up on the Mississippi and use IDO to keep up with the Mississippi river reports as I like to fish there when I can. I also read Lake Link but since I report so seldomly, I just report and am a member here. The recent conversation on Lake Link is interesting and Joel and John (as usual) can be counted on and did respond with responsible and accurate comments. I agree with them both as to “do not panic”. This system is as healthy as I’ve seen it since I moved to the area in the early 90’s. There are lots of under sized fish and lots of slot fish and possibly the most trophy fish the system has ever had to offer. So what is there to complain about? The number of keeper size fish we catch are going to go up and down year to year weather there is a slot or not. Sometimes it’s going to be that they’re just tougher to catch and not that there numbers are down(maybe this year). But, the fact that the keeper size group is possibly being harvested out is the exact reason the slot is needed. It can be debated on how to tweak the Lake Wisconsin regulations from 5 fish to 3 fish or no harvesting below the Dells Dam in the spring, or raise the slot to 23″-28″ But do not complain about the slot. It is the best thing that has ever happened to the Lake Wisconsin walleye fishery.

Now a report. I’ve made it out the last couple of days (6-19 and 6-20) and found the fishing as close to normal as it has been all spring. Trolling crank baits in 8′-12′ is producing fish of all sizes. I fished only the usual areas for this time of year and only trolled crankbiat because I didn’t have to go antwhere else or do anything else for success. I’ve been able to keep enough for a couple of meals and catch some real quality fish as well. As usual, the mixed bag of fish that the lake has to offer have also been present from crappie to white bass and catfish that keep things interesting, never knowing what will come to the boat next. Fishing is good right now so get out if you have the opportunity.

Fishing is a constant puzzle and you have to work to figure it out from location, to attitude of the fish, to the bait and color selection and about a million other factors. To me and most serious fisherman, the puzzle is what it’s all about. The fun of figuring it out when sometimes no one else can is truly a rewarding experience that will never change. There’s no need to complain. Just Fish

The first two pics are from Thursday and the second two from this morning.
    a meaty 27 incher, a group for the table, my daughters 20-1/2″ and my sons 26 incher

Attachments:
    1. 145.jpg

2. 144.jpg

3. 142.jpg

4. 141.jpg

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.