5 sunfish is utterly ridiculous

• KP
    Hudson, WI

I’ll add my last $.02 on this subject.

Times are changing. The “good old days” of supplying family, friends, and coworkers with bags of fish are ending. I’m not saying that’s a good or bad thing but it’s the reality of the times. With increased angling pressure and better gear, fishermen are increasingly becoming more effective at finding and catching fish. Add in the social media aspect of sharing bites and it’s only a matter of time before more lakes have regs that resemble what you’re currently seeing at Mille Lacs.

At some point, we ALL need to look in the mirror and get better at selective harvest. Trust me, I’ve thrown the knife to my fair share of fish over the years but with more age comes more wisdom. Now days I rarely keep fish. When I do, it’s just enough for a fresh (not frozen) meal for my small family. Typically 3-4 walleyes or maybe 8-10 panfish. It’s also nice after a long weekend on the water to back the boat in the garage when I get home and be done. No worries of making a fish fillet mess.

I know people are extremely passionate about the ability to keep as many fish as the law allows and I’ll never fault someone for that line of thinking. It’s legal and they bought a license. End of story. I do however, feel like the current level of growth of the sport and current regulations on certain bodies of water are not sustainable long term. Thus, I promise much stricter regs are coming and probably sooner than you’d think.

At the end of the day, we all fish for the total experience. To get out on the water with friends and family, and to make memories that will last a lifetime. To some, that experience involves eating the catch. In 30 years however, nobody will remember that casual meal of crappies or walleyes. What they will remember are those trophy caliber fish caught along the way. I know I do.

Well said and 100% agree!

Yeah its fun to keep some fish for a meal but but my best memories are being out there with my friends and family. This past weekend I got to see my buddy’s 2 kids that are under 6 pull a northern through the ice on a tip up. Seeing how excited they were catching that snake was just awesome to me.

mnfisherman18

Andy – Not going to quote your whole message, but couldn’t agree more.

CaptainMusky

I’m really tired of both the extreme sides in this discussion.

This comment can be applied to just about EVERY topic in the World today.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Realize too that panfish receive pressure all year round. There is literally no closed season on them. Other fish often caught and harvested like walleyes, trout, etc have a designated closed season here in most of the state. Additionally, panfish are not stocked. We rely solely on natural reproduction to replace them.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

My only complaint regarding this panfish limit change and (hopefully) the coming change in the walleye limit is that it was not done years ago.

The combination of more anglers, using more technology, and the continued blatant ignoring of the possession limits made limit reductions necessary going back a decade or more.

Yes, I can see where people who view our waters as a public meat source will not like the change. I can’t do anything about their attitude.

My concern for angling is only that it will be there for future generations. The fact is that the raison d’être for angling changed long ago–from a source of food to a source of…something else. Izaak Walton wrote beautifully about this other angling reason way back in 1653, but even if he was one of the first (and perhaps the best) to articulate it, I’m sure he wasn’t the first to think it–there’s something here to be had beyond the gathering of food.

Grouse

Wildlifeguy

My only complaint regarding this <em class=”ido-tag-em”>panfish limit change and (hopefully) the coming change in the walleye limit is that it was not done years ago.

The combination of more anglers, using more technology, and the continued blatant ignoring of the possession limits made limit reductions necessary going back a decade or more.

Yes, I can see where people who view our waters as a public meat source will not like the change. I can’t do anything about their attitude.

My concern for angling is only that it will be there for future generations. The fact is that the raison d’être for angling changed long ago–from a source of food to a source of…something else. Izaak Walton wrote beautifully about this other angling reason way back in 1653, but even if he was one of the first (and perhaps the best) to articulate it, I’m sure he wasn’t the first to think it–there’s something here to be had beyond the gathering of food.

Grouse

This will be my last thoughts on the topic. I can understand that there’s other views than mine on the subject. I just caution to be careful what one wishes for. From what I read, it seems that for many fishing has become nothing more than another exercise in ego building and time killing (in some cases a VERY expensive one). If it’s all about connecting with nature, spending time on water with family and friends, or some “thrill” of accomplishment, it should be noted that none of those things require fishing to take place, and in most cases can be found less expensively elsewhere. There’s still a not small contingent of folks who’d like to see fishing go away entirely, you see them prominently in the comments of every fishing related newspaper article or social media post. If folks like me, who AREN’T game hogs, but see fishing as more than a leisure pursuit for the well-heeled to get their “nature” fix, don’t defend it, why would any other more casual fisherman who care even less. I get it, times change, but its easier to gain support for change when you aren’t giving the middle finger to the folks who might have a hard time with it.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

When asked how many limits of walleyes people catch in a thread some time ago, the consensus was most here couldn’t catch a fly if it drowned in your drink. i.e. people really struggled to even catch a limit.

There’s also a whole fleet of people who can catch fish well, who absolutely choose to not be involved in these discussions. So, don’t take participants here as a representation of the whole. In my experience we aren’t a fair representation, but we do congregate a specific type of representation and we do shun those who oppose it, quick and often…They leave or know to stay out. Example, in the “DO you catch limits and how often” topic, you would be called arrogant ass if you stated you could often, and do. I know, i was called that. Tell someone there’s more to know, and they’ll not take kindly to this. Especially when they have a “High post count”, but lack in the “High Fish Count” category.

I really wonder the success of same people who cannot catch a walleye limit with panfish. Responses here is that you could snatch the wings off a fly (Panfish) vs couldn’t catch a dead fly (Walleye). That’s interesting to me. Doesn’t seem credible honestly. Are these panfish you speak of that bite anything all keeper sized fish, or are we exaggerating to force opinion. Are we quick to forget the times we struggled?

And, it seems to be overwhelming opinion that there are MANY instances of overharvest beyond the regulations. Enough so that many feel it is the greatest impact to the panfish populations, therefore a change of limits is only a slight modification in the harvest. I question these statements. Are those made up statements or do you have specific instances that you did not act upon. I ask that pointedly because of the strong feeling against it, yet the frequency in which people claim to know it is very abundant. Panfish limits are larger than other species, and a “Pile” of fish photo, can easily drive perceptions of WALKING CORMORANTS. For some, perception is considered reality and that is becoming more true everyday in OUR SOCIETY.

I personally am not seeing folks in general have phenomenal success just because of an expenditure (Graph, Etc). AT TIMES, yes, but for the most part, NO. Folks watch a video, see someone do “It Right” and I’d bet the vast majority couldn’t compete just because they purchased the equipment and watched a video. It would be like saying Gophers can play as good as Gonzaga, because they watched them play. HA!

Increased pressure is rampantly brought up, but i don’t think buying a license is an investment in understanding how to catch fish and doing so often. It is just the first legal step to being able to wet a line. Having equipment is second step, and the BIGGEST step, is learning to catch them (Often a lifetime of learning and the largest investment of TIME). Since i spend a LOT OF TIME on the water, i also know the vast majority DO NOT!!!!!
    Ya’ll who show up to Pool 2 or 4 this weekend will think “MAN, It is so crowded and there won’t be any fish. Reality was, i didn’t see a one of you on pool 4 monday when it was 15 degrees. Ya’ll show up in groups because you share the same group mentality.

Increased technology also brought up, again, folks are buying these gadgets yet putting forth the effort to understand a fraction of that technologies output. When you become an expert of those technologies, it is super easy to forget the learning curve and the time it took. I ask each of you to look back 5 years in your fishing experiences and ask yourself how you rate today vs then. It takes TIME to learn and Time to experience, and time goes by fast and is quickly forgotten. I didn’t know JACK 5 years ago about catching eyes on the river. I know more people who invest very little time in fishing, and have learned very little in every 5 passing years. However, if you started with 5c and now have 10c, it sure feels like you have twice as much…But you still have only 10c while others are playing with hundreds, like the IDO boys; who frankly, don’t do it all on their own either. They’re a team, with a much larger team of resources(Guides or equivalent). Like asking an NBA player to jump on your highschool squad so you can win friday night’s game.

Lastly, there is a large majority of Fisherman who feel that any lake should possess the type of fishing found in the latest video they watched. IMO they’re naïve. There are those who know what lake cycling is, and they’ve seen it many times though many years of fishing many lakes and staying on top of the bites in the area. Then there are those who are discovering it. Bar conversations are not how you discover it btw, you must invest a lot of time to be better than the crowds to truly understand what is going on within a fishery. Some get used to it(lake cycling), some it aggravates the heck out of and they try to prevent it to no avail. It used to aggregate the heck out of me, but one must start to understand how the lake is managed, and that cycle, is absolutely part of the management plan. Your individual contribution usually meaningless in grand scheme. People also get comfortable thinking what i did last year will work this year…Groups being the largest offenders of this, and their community spots. People love to grab allies for whatever self deception they have going. Groups not catching fish immediately, and wholly blame the fishery. When, it may be as simple as a monkey see monkey do mentality and the monkeys aint got it figured out. Those who’ve left the groups, are those who’ve found a reason to do so. They’ve discovered something better or more complex than the group understands. This is why your best fisherman aren’t found in them groups.

PS, I don’t look at any argument with emotion of i can avoid it. I’m not calling any one of you out. My statements above should not be taken personally or with emotion. My 2c if you will, take it as that and that alone.

These regs will make some happy, some mad. As a professonal my job is to make change. In order to make my customers happy, i describe exactly what the problem is, how we’re going to measure it, what the solution is, and how we’re going to measure the change. If you don’t describe any of those things, and you simply implement a change, you get people racing for their pitchforks.
    Example: Lake X has a gill net survey of X. The netting results are undesirable by public opinion. By implementing these changes, we intend to change the gill net survey to X. The results will be measured each year and weighed against the benchmark, and the goal. The plan will be adjusted as we measure our success.

I’m all for individual lake management, if the lake is managed in a way that is measurable, and those definitions are displayed to set expectations.
    Without setting expectations, people make up their own…and this day and age, their expectations is to match that latest youtube video they watched of James putting the hurt’n on the hump head gills.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

The question below is kind of from far left field, but it does apply to protecting fish. Until we can be sure we have a means of enforcing regulations, everything is just speculation. Yes, I’ve called TIP on guys before once I factually know they are breaking laws. I think the breaking of possession laws is a big issue that has no answer or means of enforcement. Panfish are hurt by this every day.

What % of anglers do you think have knowingly exceeded possession limits in MN?

10%?
    25%?
    >50%?

My wager is that the % is far higher than most here comprehend. The freezer is a “safe space”, it’s “mine”, and “I didn’t take more than a day’s limit ever” are all mentalities that exist. I do not know a single person who has ever had their possession limit truly checked at home, and I’ve fished my whole life. I see regulars who are on the river daily over a community panfish spot sitting on a bucket dropping in the occasional fish. I also see plenty of guys hammering post-spawn eyes on the river who brag about their “limit” at the dock and most likely have an eye or two in the freezer.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. Doesn’t matter if their opinion is right or wrong because, well it’s just a opinion.

I’m very surprised (fact) that this thread has gone on this long. grin

Andy Fiolka
    Boise, Idaho

It’s gone on this long because for the most part, people have been respectful. Refreshing.

toddrun

I had a friend have his freezer checked once. In Wisconsin. He and his 4 brothers hit opener on a popular lake, had tremendous success and caught their limits on opening Saturday. Went to the resort bar, had a few brewskies and started smart talking. They ate all their fish in a fish fry that night. The next morning, they went to their spot, and out of nowhere 5 conservation officer boat surrounded them. In the end, none were over their limits. One brother had to leave for work and left his limit in the refrigerator, properly labeled as his. Well, the conservation officers were not satisfied, so they had local officers visit each of the brothers homes and check the freezers. One guy forgot that he had 1 walleye in his freezer. All that effort, to write a ticket for 1 fish over limit. Effort that could have been used elsewhere more valuable.

So just saying, freezer checking does happen on occasion.

Michael Best

Since 1990 Mn population has grown by almost 1.3 million.
    However fishing license are down roughly 100 K over the same period.

From an added fishing pressure stand point I could see why the DNR would want to implement these regulations. However total number of license sales says other wise.

What is a shame is when word of a hot bite gets out and people flock to a lake to take advantage of it and keep there limits.

2 small lakes close to where I live had good perch bites this winter. Heavy pressure for a couple weeks and no more fish to be had.

I know with the regulation book growing in size gets to be a pain but I think it’s needed.
    Not every lake can be managed the same way. Small price to pay for the handful of lakes the average guy fishes.
    For those that fish a lot of different bodies of water they just have more research to do.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I had a friend have his freezer checked once. In Wisconsin. He and his 4 brothers hit opener on a popular lake, had tremendous success and caught their limits on opening Saturday. Went to the resort bar, had a few brewskies and started smart talking. They ate all their fish in a fish fry that night. The next morning, they went to their spot, and out of nowhere 5 conservation officer boat surrounded them. In the end, none were over their limits. One brother had to leave for work and left his limit in the refrigerator, properly labeled as his. Well, the conservation officers were not satisfied, so they had local officers visit each of the brothers homes and check the freezers. One guy forgot that he had 1 <em class=”ido-tag-em”>walleye in his freezer. All that effort, to write a ticket for 1 fish over limit. Effort that could have been used elsewhere more valuable.

So just saying, freezer checking does happen on occasion.

Freezer checking is the only way to catch the real poachers. Fortunately that group wasn’t really the guys they are looking for. I would rather have a freezer search that doesn’t pan out then have them eating donuts. IMO enforcement is where the DRN is lacking in most cases.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>TheFamousGrouse wrote:</div>
    My only complaint regarding this <em class=”ido-tag-em”>panfish limit change and (hopefully) the coming change in the walleye limit is that it was not done years ago.

Grouse

This will be my last thoughts on the topic. I can understand that there’s other views than mine on the subject. I just caution to be careful what one wishes for. From what I read, it seems that for many fishing has become nothing more than another exercise in ego building and time killing (in some cases a VERY expensive one). If it’s all about connecting with nature, spending time on water with family and friends, or some “thrill” of accomplishment, it should be noted that none of those things require fishing to take place, and in most cases can be found less expensively elsewhere. There’s still a not small contingent of folks who’d like to see fishing go away entirely, you see them prominently in the comments of every fishing related newspaper article or social media post. If folks like me, who AREN’T game hogs, but see fishing as more than a leisure pursuit for the well-heeled to get their “nature” fix, don’t defend it, why would any other more casual fisherman who care even less. I get it, times change, but its easier to gain support for change when you aren’t giving the middle finger to the folks who might have a hard time with it.

So I should enjoy nature with my family and friends in some other way than fishing because I enjoy it for the challenge, the peace and quiet, and the learning experience instead of collecting meat? I guess I’ll just go for a walk and save some money so you can have all your bluegills?

I may be misreading this post (I hope I am) but that’s one of the most ridiculous comments I’ve seen here.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

So I should enjoy nature with my family and friends in some other way than fishing because I enjoy it for the challenge, the peace and quiet, and the learning experience instead of collecting meat? I guess I’ll just go for a walk and save some money so you can have all your bluegills?

There are some days when I honestly just enjoy the boat ride. Throttle down and go. Catching fish is only a bonus. Sorta like sitting in a deer stand on a nice fall day. Seeing deer is just a bonus.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>

There are some days when I honestly just enjoy the boat ride. Throttle down and go. Catching fish is only a bonus. Sorta like sitting in a deer stand on a nice fall day. Seeing deer is just a bonus.

Same here

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Lots of great conservation hear.
    Honestly, I have a question. How far are we willing to have a select few individuals in our government dictate what we enjoy.. Obviously there looking out for a certain sector of our population
    Fish will always be there and always rebound if the market lets it. Being a progressive I can’t believe I said this .
    I’m one of those that love to go out and be satisfied with what I get. Be sad If my opportunity to have a good taken day from me and other to satisfy a certain sector of people trying to control others

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I fished all afternoon in Wisconsin and only managed 5 keeper gills
    I’m a trendsetter!!! jester

Wildlifeguy

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Wildlifeguy wrote:</div>

Grouse

I may be misreading this post (I hope I am) but that’s one of the most ridiculous comments I’ve seen here.

Yes you did. All I’m saying is if fishing is reduced to the “entertainment” aspect, it just becomes one venue for that sort of thing among many, and for those who don’t like fishing in any form, the anti folks, it makes the argument that the actual act of fishing isn’t what’s important, so why should we allow it. I think fishing is about more than entertainment, the connection to nature for me is utilizing the resource, I take no enjoyment from a trophy. When and where I grew up, responsible harvest was the tagline for conservation, both as a means to utilize the resource, and as justification for what otherwise would be unnecessary acts. I don’t find that entertainment, or sport, rises to that standard in and of itself. If that’s ridiculous, so be it.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Wildlifeguy wrote:</div>

Grouse

Yes you did. All I’m saying is if fishing is reduced to the “entertainment” aspect, it just becomes one venue for that sort of thing among many, and for those who don’t like fishing in any form, the anti folks, it makes the argument that the actual act of fishing isn’t what’s important, so why should we allow it. I think fishing is about more than entertainment, the connection to nature for me is utilizing the resource, I take no enjoyment from a trophy. When and where I grew up, responsible harvest was the tagline for conservation, both as a means to utilize the resource, and as justification for what otherwise would be unnecessary acts. I don’t find that entertainment, or sport, rises to that standard in and of itself. If that’s ridiculous, so be it.

Seems to me I did read it correctly after the second half of your explanation. I respect someone not gaining anything from a trophy fish. I however do enjoy trying to catch the trophy fish, along with many more people than (I would guess) ONLY do it for harvest. And I think the majority of anglers that are trying to catch a trophy or just doing it for the “entertainment” are more respectful and rise to the standard of quality fishing morals than many meat fishermen.

I keep fish here and there but it’s only a handful and would most likely fall into the new limits anyway. I think anytime anglers start to try and exclude people from fishing we are going the wrong direction as a sport. I want to see better quality panfish in my area, which over the last 5-10 years has really fallen off. Maybe these new regs will help. If they don’t, we can try something else.

Coletrain27

IMO if your going fishing just for the food then you can go to the store and buy fish a lot cheaper than spending thousands of dollars on equipment. Same goes for hunting, you can buy meat ALOT cheaper than all your hunting gear and licenses. I do it because it’s fun to be outdoors for me and spending time with the people I’m with.

Mike m

Fbrm , agree with everything you said. Post count definitely matters on this site.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

It’s 5 panfish in certain lakes. Who cares honestly. 5 sunfish and 5 crappies is plenty to eat. More then enough for me and the kid. When we want to have a family fish fry it’ll be funner making the family come catch there own as well.

20 sunnies was to many any ways.

Tom schmitt

A 5 sunfish limit can easily be a meal for 2 if they are big enough.
    And that really is the question here, what is a keeper sunfish.
    Should the DNR have added a size limit to the regulation.
    That would get rally complicated. Hopefully with a 5 fish limit we will see people keeping fish in the 8 – 9 inch range and letting a few of the big 10 inchers go.
    I for one am tired of catching of catching 6 – 7 inch fish trying to catch some keepers.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

IMO if your going fishing just for the food then you can go to the store and buy fish a lot cheaper than spending thousands of dollars on equipment. Same goes for hunting, you can buy meat ALOT cheaper than all your hunting gear and licenses. I do it because it’s fun to be outdoors for me and spending time with the people I’m with.

I feel 100% the same way about it as you do. The problem I have with some peoples stance on this is that your making it sound as though the people that do not get to fish as often as some on here, but still want to have enough fish to fry up and share with family/friends and wants to take home 10 crappies and put them in the freezer is less of a sportsman/ angler/ person. I hope you don’t actually feel that way. Consider maybe they can’t get to the lake as much as you can, maybe the family does not enjoy fishing. Is he doing more damage then you guys going 3 times a week and keeping you “proper limit of 5”? All of us on here want the resources to be there and I get worrying about the guy banging limits for days in a row and not caring. I also do not think he is the guy worried about what the limit is set at anyway.

For the record was not going after anyone here.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Not even close to true. You can “choose” to spend all you want on hunting and fishing gear (Insert great marketing campaign). You’d be surprised by how many people rely on what they catch and kill…and you’d probably be even more surprised by how cheap you can actually do both. All you need to catch fish is a cheap rod/reel with some line, worms dug from the ground, and a license. Many many many people still operate this way.

I just hope people never forget why or how they got into fishing/hunting. For many, it wasn’t about getting a trophy…

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I really enjoy catching and keeping panfish. We eat fish at least 1 time a week. But some lakes need to be protected. Look at the amount of guys who camp over a hot bite all winter. Then complain when that bite dies off.

And for the record I can shoot my deer and catch fish for way cheaper then store bought.
    Many people don’t need 1000s in gear to catch a walleye or panfish. Same with hunting.
    I have less then a 100 bucks in to our 3 deer this year. But I do it all my self. ( that’s a different argument.)
    I am all for protecting fish from disappearing tho. If you have a issue just fish a different lake

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I just hope people never forget why or how they got into fishing/hunting. For many, it wasn’t about getting a trophy…

You missed his final point. He specifically stated he did it for the experience being outdoors and spending time with people he’s with.

Stanley

I think it all comes down to how you view fishing and why you do it. For me I rarely keep fish it’s just being out there enjoying the experience but I have no problem with others keeping as many fish as they can legally. I feel the issue with some people is they view their success or failure on the water by the limits they come hone with and with the lower limit it’s less bragging rights. And as far as the food thing I can see how it helps people but I have also seen where a hot bite brings everyone out and they fill buckets full day after day. Happened last year on a local lake by me where the shore fishing was hot for about 3 weeks and I saw the same people there everyday filling 5 gal buckets full of crappies. I reported it but don’t know what/if anything happened to them.

Viewing 30 posts - 121 through 150 (of 181 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.