5.56 suppressor

• fishtoeat
    Chippewa Falls, Wi

I’m looking for the best (quiet) suppressor for a 5.56, AR platform. I’ve got a savage axis II in 223 Rem. and hoping to stay with savage so I can use the same suppressor for both guns, I haven’t bought the AR yet either. I’d like to stay under $1200 for the suppressor if possible. Anyone have experience with them or even which brands I should stay away from. I’ve been looking on silencershop.com and there a lot to choose from.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Have you shot any, or do you have the opportunity to do so? If you can I’d recommend trying some out. I’ve seen some that sound like nothing more than an aggressive spit while others I was kind of let down by how much noise they still created.

Brady Valberg

No personal experience other than making parts for them but the silencer central banish 30 line is a multi caliber line. Might be worth a look at for you.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

I’ve heard very good things about Silencer Central out of Sioux Falls. Others will likely have better first hand experience, but you should have no issue swapping from gun to gun as long as the muzzles are threaded the same. I’ve seen where some recommend going with a larger suppressor that will cover a wider range of calibers. I would imagine a call to SC would answer all your questions.

Tlazer

Silencer Shop is a good place to go. When I lived in Alaska I bought my first .22 silencer from Sportsman Warehouse. I bought my second one from a local gun dealer in Alaska who was set up with Silencer Shop. They had a kiosk where you put all your info in and everything was electronic. Only bad thing was once all your info was in you could reorder anytime you wanted from Silencer Shop from your house. A lot of info on that site too for choosing which silencer you want. Some are caliber specific and some are multi caliber.

fishtoeat
    Chippewa Falls, Wi

I don’t know anyone that has one yet to try outside, I might be able to try one at an indoor range, but I don’t think that would be a good comparison to outside. I just came across silencer central when I googled the Banish brand mentioned.

mojo

There are plenty of variables that you have to consider once you’ve decided to purchase a suppressor. Among the highest should be reputation of the manufacturer. For all practical purposes, you will own it for life, and the warranty/service commitment of the manufacturer is important.
    Then you should choose based on your shooting needs. Cartridge of gun(s) it will be used with is important, as is the intended use – target shooting, personal defense, coyote hunting – know your laws thoroughly – offenses may be dealt with at a Federal level. Size/weight is important for some uses. Attachment system is important – especially if being used on multiple platforms. Obviously noise reduction is important.

Typically, most manufacturers will offer several different sizes, with noise reduction being closely related to the size. So almost all of them will make something that fits your needs. That being said, I can without reservation, recommend Dead-Air products. To me, the Dead-Air Sandman S is the absolute perfect suppressor for everything other than handgun use. Their attachment system is spectacular, and the mount actually serves and a very capable muzzle device when used with or without the suppressor mounted. A wide variety of endcaps, flash suppressors, and accessories are available for the Sandman series, and they have a stellar reputation.

Joe’s Sporting Goods has the aforementioned kiosk for Silencer Shop, but I’m not the biggest fan of either. I can recommend Hansohn Brothers as a seller, they have a website.

While it is certainly possible to sell a used suppressor, very few users are willing to deal with the headaches and legal hurdles to complete such a purchase, maybe a trusted friend would do so, but they won’t want to give you top dollar, so go into this purchase with every intention to keep it forever. And while it’s unlikely you will ever have a legal issue, remember you are dealing with the Department of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms, and they can destroy your life. It’s extremely unfortunate that suppressors are not celebrated, and instead, are treated as evil, scary devices. Hopefully that changes soon.

ekruger01

Are you dedicating it to be mounted on the 556/223 and it will stay there? OR are you looking to run between multiple guns? I run .30 cal cans on all my hunting rifles or long guns .556 or larger and feel they are quieter. Keep in mind suppressed .556 regardless of brand isnt “amazing”.

Dedicated 556 – the Dead Air sierra 5, or Surefire socom are expensive but work great

Pulling double duty – Otter creek labs (I do not own one, but the reviews I’ve watched all praise them), Dead Air nomad or nomad L, Or Q Trash panda are all great options.

fishtoeat
    Chippewa Falls, Wi

I was thinking of changing it between the same caliber rifles, but I wasn’t aware of the multi caliber options prior.

ajw

Yankee hill machine makes a nice 556 can. You could buy 2 for your budget haha

ajw

223/556 doesn’t really suppress super awesome. the crack is definitely still there. I recommend shooting some suppressed if you can or at least stand next to someone if possible. Just want you to have reasonable expectations. They do mitigate some sound, reduce recoil and more often than not tighten group sizes.

Tlazer

I would also make sure you could use it on a .300 black out. Shooting the subsonic .300BO is awesome. Really quiet.

Stanley

I have a dead air sandman s and dead air mask rimfire can. The sandman is a multi cal rated can up to 300 win mag I believe. It also has interchangeable end caps for 556 and 30 cal to help reduce noise a little on the 556 but I keep the 30 cal cap on since I use it on a 300 blackout as well. Like said they are a lifetime purchase so going multi cal especially for your first one would be my suggestion so you can use it on other guns in the future if you wanted. If you really want quiet subsonic rimfire through a can is fun. I can hear the bullet impact cardboard at 50yds.

Ryan Scholl

I have a lot of experience with the Banish 30 and Banish 223 from Silencer Central. One thing I would recommend doing is shoot an AR with a can on it first. I have to say I was disappointed coming from only shooting suppressed bolt actions before that. There’s a pretty good pop still from an AR vs a bolt. You can’t get around that. You will also get blowback with an AR. You can adjust gas blocks to avoid that.

I would recommend either can from Silencer Central. Titanium, serviceable, and very lightweight when you start comparing others. One brand I have been curious about is Huxwrx. They claim to have less blowback and no need to adjust gas blocks with AR platforms.

For me the main factor was weight. Even the lightest cans are noticeable and change the feel of your rifle a lot.

Coletrain27

Not sure where you live but coyote creek gun shop in Rochester is having a silencer co. demo day April 1st

Attachments:
    1. A519B53C-00EB-469F-B7B7-92330A7A7571.png

fishtoeat
    Chippewa Falls, Wi

I’m in chippewa falls, but I might be able to make that work.

fishtoeat
    Chippewa Falls, Wi

I don’t see a PM Red Reno?

fishtoeat
    Chippewa Falls, Wi

Update: I talked with Scott Gales (Red Reno recommended) from Silencer Central and got everything started for the ATF approval. I ended up going with the Banish 22, Banish 30 and the Banish 45 so I don’t have to go through this again with ATF. I should be good with any caliber for the most part.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.