4-2-17 Dells Area Wading

• just-fish
    Portage, Wi

Decided last minute to try a little night time fishing below the Dells Dam. Started around 6:00 pm dodging a few rain drops but by about 7:00 it was mostly done. No fish at all until right when the sun was just about gone and bam, a nice 17″ male on a stick bait. That time of day when the last of the daylight is disappearing just seems to be kind of magical and always feels like more times than not I’ll catch one just then. But then nothing for an hour after dark so I ventured downstream a little bit and picked up a nice 15-1/4″ sauger. Just as I was ready to pack it in a couple of quick fish showed up. One 16″ and one 19″ walleye. All males and all perfect table fare. To be honest, I’m really trying to catch some big fat females but just can’t seem to get on any so far this spring. I was wading as were a few others but please do not attempt this if you do not use extreme caution and know where you’re at. The current is very fast and dangerous right now. The big females have not shown themselves yet this spring for me and from what I can tell not many others either. But the conditions are just about perfect now so if you have a chance to get out, GO! Don’t wait to hear or see a good report because it might just be too late.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0715.jpg

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Nice job. It is crazy how that little window can turn things on. I don’t get up that way often until mid summer for floating the river in my kayak… not much for eyes, but the smalls are fun.

bigpike

Awesome job! I never fished the dells at night, do you ever hook any of the bazillion sturgeon? I bet the females show up within the next week so keep plugin and you will connect

just-fish
    Portage, Wi

Awesome job! I never fished the dells at night, do you ever hook any of the bazillion sturgeon?
    Yes, sturgeons are pretty common to hook. You always see a few caught just about every day.

just-fish
    Portage, Wi

Fished again last night since Sunday evening was so good but not one fish. The water levels went down about 1 to 1-1/2 feet from Sunday.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.