3 Old Guys Ride to Alaska

• IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

Anyone Following these old timers on the Bookface?

Three, self proclaimed, Old Guys are riding from Grand Rapids, MN to Fairbanks, Ak on Snowmobiles! 4,000+ mile journey. It’d be one hell of an adventure and a lot of fun! I’m sure it took lots of preparation, but man it looks like and amazing trip!

Could you do it!?

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100088934197535

CaptainMusky

No way I could do it, but yeah I have been following them. THey have run into some issues already. A tree went through the belly pan of one of the sleds and then started it on fire. Pretty much the whole belly pan is gone. LOL

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

Yeah, as they tried to make there way to a place to fix it, a piece of wood was lodged in under the exhaust and caught fire!

Sharon
    SE Metro

Wow, that is super cool!

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

There’s no way I could do it.

First, who has that kind of time for such an adventure?

Second, every time I ride hard I end up feeling it the next day. Maybe up there the trails are so much nicer and with plentiful snow that it wouldn’t be an issue?

Kudos to them for doing it and sharing their experiences along the way.

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

@buckybadger
    If you ride enough, the soreness will go away. At least that’s what I’m told! lol

I think they said it will take a month or so to do the entire journey.

I couldn’t really think of a better time of year to do it. Sun is getting higher everyday, things are slowly warming up. IDK if I could do it either, but I can’t help but think how much fun that would be!

CaptainMusky

I think they are done riding trails already and are breaking trail which takes a ton of time, fuel and energy.

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

I think they are done riding trails already and are breaking trail which takes a ton of time, fuel and energy.

Yes, They wanted to take the “back country” trails which haven’t been used in decades.

“The “3 Old Guys” have shared from the beginning that they prefer the road less traveled. As such, much of their route was intentionally designed to follow historical treks and backcountry. This required extensive research and diligence leading up to the trip- just another part of the adventure. One of their favorite aspects of this was learning about the rich and important history of this area.”

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I’ve been following these guys as well. They’ve been dealing with a lot of blowdown trees across trails and I can tell you from experience, that kind of chainsaw work isn’t fun even for a single day.

ThunderLund78

I don’t even consider myself old, but my back would be toast after the first 30 miles. grin

mojo

I’ve done a few 300 mile days on snowmobiles, and even when I was in my prime, it was not fun by the end of a 300 mile day. I know the sleds are drastically improved with 15 inches of suspension travel, heated seats, power steering, 4 stroke fuel injected engines, and so forth, but I can’t imagine wanting to ride all day, every day, for a month.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Are the local clubs guiding these guys to the best trails or are they 100% on their own?

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

Are the local clubs guiding these guys to the best trails or are they 100% on their own?

100% on their own as far as I know. If you scroll down on their bookface page, there are posts about the planning of the trip. Pretty cool stuff.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

There’s 3 Guys from the Kick Ass Tribe. bow bow bow

and No, I couldn’t do it.

Jason

I know the sleds are drastically improved with 15 inches of suspension travel, heated seats, power steering, 4 stroke fuel injected engines…

These 3 guys are running new Artic Cat 800cc 2 stroke twins. Which consists of a gas and oil hungry motor mated to an older chassis technology. Not much has changed with Cat since 2012.
    In my mind I would be just happy for the machines themselves to not break down.

mojo

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mojo wrote:</div>
    I know the sleds are drastically improved with 15 inches of suspension travel, heated seats, power steering, 4 stroke fuel injected engines…

These 3 guys are running new Artic Cat 800cc 2 stroke twins. Which consists of a gas and oil hungry motor mated to an older chassis technology. Not much has changed with Cat since 2012.

I see one of the guys is a Hibbert, you’d think Arctic Cat would have done some promotional sponsoring of these guys. The new Thundercats have some technology borrowed from Yamaha, and would have been a nice improvement for these guys. For all that Kirk and Tucker Hibbert did for AC over the past decades, they should have stepped up, but I suppose that could have backfired if the guys fail to complete the journey.

CaptainMusky

Not much has changed with Cat since 2012.

That chassis is pretty much bulletproof though.
    Have you seen the new CATalyst for 2024? Its badass.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Jason wrote:</div>
    Not much has changed with Cat since 2012.

That chassis is pretty much bulletproof though.
    Have you seen the new CATalyst for 2024? Its badass.

Lol I’ve never heard any one refer to a cat as bad ass besides my dad, which every cat he’s owned has let him down.

CaptainMusky

Lol I’ve never heard any one refer to a cat as bad ass besides my dad, which every cat he’s owned has let him down.

Check it out. It is absolutely as advertised. Though its only a 600 for now.

Coletrain27

I’ve been following them from the start. They got Lucky the other day when one caught on fire and they got it out.

To ride 4000 miles is one thing but now there are no trails to follow and basically breaking their own trail. ALOT of work involved

CaptainMusky

Yesterday they were riding for 16 hours and never made it to their destination and either missed the trail there or havent gotten to it yet. They had to camp. That would be rough.

AK Guy

Props for doing this on a sled. It’s hard enough doing it by vehicle. I wonder at what latitude their snowmobiles will become snowmachines? Alaskans don’t call them snowmobiles…

Tlazer

Having lived in Alaska and traveled on the Alaskan Hiway, I can tell you they are in for a heck of a ride. When they get to the mountains in the Yukon Territory and Alaska it will be a challenge for sure.

Gitchi Gummi

@duluth1an I absolutely want a report on that trip. Sounds awesome.

thanks Ralph! I’m planning on taking a bunch of pictures and detailed notes along the way. We will also have a gopro along for documenting the trip. I’ll be sure to write up a full report once we are back. We are starting the trip 5/26

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Thanks for the heads up on these guys. Just “followed” them on FB. Buddies and I always talked about riding from Cokato to our cabin near Baudette back in the day. Obviously thought that was too much! They are inspirational for us middle age guys that think we can’t do it. Whatever IT is.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Joe, if you can’t do it now then when? Don’t be the guys who sit around at 65 and say “what if”……….

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

Looks like they finally made it to Southend, Saskatchewan. “Only” took 8 days.
    I’m curious which route they will take once they get into the Mountains to the west.

CaptainMusky

Looks like they patched up the burned sled pretty good. Seems like the belly pan was replaced. Pretty impressive. Getting through the mountains will be extremely interesting for sure.

ThunderLund78

I just followed them and took a look back at their trip so far. As someone who has an old (mid-80s) parent that refuses to let age define them, I think this is fantastic! They look like they’re having the time of their lives. Quite an inspiration! Agree, though, that their toughest times are ahead. Hope they stay safe when they hit the Canadian Rockies.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 150 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.