24V Strikemaster First Impressions

• B-man

Very happy with the maiden voyage with the new 24V Strikemaster and Lite Flite 8″ auger

This auger will easily suit the needs of 90%+ of ice fisherman.

Today I drilled 80 holes through exactly 8″ of ice with the 8″ bit in 15-17° temps (with a COLD battery) [not all of the holes are in the pic, I was fishing too]. Far more than my old Gen 1 Ion ever could, or even my Dewalt 5AH with a 7″ Lazer and a cold battery.

For the price, weight, performance, and compactness, this thing is tough to beat. A great blend of function, features and value.

I’m not saying a gas auger, a 40V, a drill, or a Clam Plate don’t have their place…..but damn….it’s impressive waytogo

Also not trying to start an argument, trust me, I’ve used/and or owned them all.

It’s simply a homerun for Strikemaster, and ice fishing in general. It’s the 18′ glass walleye boat of augers. Not too big, not too small, not too expensive. Just a great all-around machine that will work for the vast majority of fisherman.

I’d personally rather have this auger and an extra battery than lug around a gasser, 40 Volt SM, or pay twice the money for a G2 Ion.

This thing is a little monster!

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20201231_111428.jpg

Reef W

I hope nobody tries to park there tomorrow lol

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

This seals it for me. I’ll probably wait til spring but that amount of holes is triple what I would probably ever drill in a day.

I have a kdrill now but it’s kind of a pain dealing with the drill and batteries.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Nice!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Lets race

Tom Erding

That is exactly the type of feed back I was hoping to hear about this auger ! Ordered 1 a couple days ago , it’s shipped and now I am really looking forward to using it ! Thanks for the post !

welliou

I just ran out to Cabelas and bought one, they only had 3 8″ ones left. I had been hearing that once there gone thats it for the season.

CaptainMusky

I almost bought the 24 volt but opted for the 40. Only reason I did is I fish LOW late ice and that ice can be VERY thick which I thought might be an issue for a day’s use. Probably wouldnt have, but I dont regret the 40 volt. The 24 sure looks sweet and at only 14 pounds nice to carry around. The 40 isnt heavy by any means, but not 14 pounds -)
    My 40 has been great, or so my son says since I havent actually used it yet. LOL He says its faster than the Solo I had.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

I have them both, 40v 8” and 24v 6”, both with Lite Flites. They’re both very nice and I have no regrets. The 40v feels a little more solid than the 24v, particularly with the trigger, and it sounds a little smoother too. However, it’s quite a bit heftier. If I was a betting man, I would bet the 40v has more longevity, but time will tell.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Local guy had one out on the Lake the other day so I asked if I could take alook at it.
    Remarkable how light they are.

welliou

I am 80 YOA so the 24v is perfect for me. In my younger years I would have the 40 for sure. Just got done putting together and charging the battery.

Bluegill89

How much lighter are the drill/auger combos? I’m starting to lean towards the 24V just because I don’t want to deal with the drill batteries either.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

How much lighter are the drill/auger combos? I’m starting to lean towards the 24V just because I don’t want to deal with the drill batteries either.

I’m missing the boat on this. What do people mean when they keep saying “having to deal with the drill batteries”? Mine is on the drill when it rides out. I squeeze the trigger and drill. If I drill over 40 holes, I throw on another one. I take it off when I get home and charge it like any other drill.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Thats what i do also bucky seems pretty easy to me.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

X3

Plus you have a drill to use all year and batteries in case you want more tools.

Deuces

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>chuck100 wrote:</div>

X3

Plus you have a drill to use all year and batteries in case you want more tools.

How do you fellas set the drill in the snow? Assuming one has a handle the battery lays directly on the ice. Can’t put the drill right into the snow, that can’t be good for innards. And transport you just throw in bottom of sled? Water and gunk down there again I would want penetrating. PIA taking the chuck on and off for transport.

Just curious. I can see the advantage to an all in one that was made specifically for these conditions.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I am 80 YOA so the 24v is perfect for me. In my younger years I would have the 40 for sure. Just got done putting together and charging the battery.

At 80 years I totally commend you for still getting after it. bow

I’m 61 and every day is becoming a struggle. sad

This seals it for me. I’ll probably wait til spring but that amount of holes is triple what I would probably ever drill in a day.

Same here, at my age running and gunning all day is no longer appealing and I typically only drill enough holes to find a somewhat productive area to fish.

I finally bought the 40V last season and it’s an impressive drilling machine and although it’s not real heavy, it is just heavy enough when loaded on the sled with all the other gear and walking out. It all adds up.

When I first saw this new 24V introduced I figured more of a gimmick to compete with the drill market. After hearing and reading various reviews, I’m learning this would be ideal for my use.

I have no drill and really no other need for one, so it doesn’t make much sense to go that route.

Ripjiggen

X4 I don’t see how they are PITA. I don’t take my chuck off for transport. Put my drill and or battery on the ice no issues. If it’s real deep snow I just drill a little bit into ice and leave the drill standing up.
    Not trying to derail your thread B man. Just answering the last question.
    Sounds like the 24v is slick and is everything you had hoped for.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

I have mine set up on a clam plate so it sits on a handle.I just layed it across my sled or drilled a hole to stand it up before the plate.

B-man

Did it die at 80 holes?

Yes

With a warm battery I’m sure it would have gotten more, but I wanted to test it in the cold.

CaptainMusky

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>FishBlood&RiverMud wrote:</div>
    Did it die at 80 holes?

Yes

With a warm battery I’m sure it would have gotten more, but I wanted to test it in the cold.

Well, now you only have 499 full charge cycles left in that battery. Better plan for a replacement LOL

tswoboda

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>B-man wrote:</div>

Did it die at 80 holes?

Yes

Well, now you only have 499 full charge cycles left in that battery. Better plan for a replacement LOL

idea Maybe put a tally mark on the battery each time you charge it so you know when to buy a new one.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

I test drove one a few weeks ago on east rush and man, was it nice. I’m going to keep using my Kdrill and milwaukee setup, but my drill is starting to show it’s age after 4 years of abuse. Might pick up a 24V strikemaster next season.

Scott Gergen
    Hastings, MN

I bought one when Reed’s had their sale along with a spare battery. I was on LOTW over 1/1/21 and took it outside to drill holes just to see how long it would go. I had drilled 6 holes in the house, then I drilled 41 more before the battery quit. So, total of 47 holes with one fully charged, warm battery over 5 days in about 14″ of ice. Just a note, like most LiIon batteries, when is done there is no “slow down” noticeable. It goes from drilling to stopped – that’s it.

Impressed so far.

Scott

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Did it die at 80 holes?

How often do you need to drill 80 holes to catch a fish? tongue

I was simply trying to understand the amount of ice a 24V can do.

When i used to ice fish, i’d go home after 150 holes. Yup, i was that guy never found in a crowd and searching for the “Hottest Bite” (IDO THEME LOL). That also means eliminating a lot of unproductive water and while doing so increasing your knowledge of the individual fishery.

I have limited experience with electric augers. In my experience the deeper the ice the more you need to “Clear the hole” by lifting the auger flighting out of the hole to clear the hole of the ice chips. The effort to do this IMO outweighs the negatives of gas auger weight (Which 26 LBS never seemed too hard to manage IMO) Clearing the holes would likely extend the battery life as it isn’t trying to pull all the material from the hole…You are.

These augers don’t have the torque to drill deep ice without clearing the hole. Clearing the hole i found to be a lot of effort in comparison to gripping an auger with more torque and powering through the ice. No lifting necessary except pulling it out of the hole when complete, and when the flighting aren’t full of ice shavings, they’re just wet.

Therefore, 80 holes in 8″ of ice is likely not 40 holes in 24″ of ice and also likely not 26 holes in 36″ of ice either due to the increased resistance of the ice chips at those ice depths. I think of this like running the same gauge of wire, but longer lenghts…There’s efficiency loss (increased resistance means loss of voltage).

I’d expect after 24″ of ice you’d see a 20%+ power loss due to increased resistance of flighting full of chips/snow, even when clearing the hole a few times.

I wasn’t going to point this out, but the info was short in supplying the battery charge remaining after 80 holes in 8″ ice.

When i ice fished, i did strings of 15 holes. It would be disappointing to me to go home after 80 holes. That doesn’t cover a lot of ground frankly, and that is just early ice.

Andy, sure not many people need to drill 80 holes in 8″ of ice probably more accurate to say many people wouldn’t want to.

This auger will easily suit the needs of 90%+ of ice fisherman.

I agree. I also don’t understand why so many found gasoline augers difficult. Don’t recall spilling gas on anything or having starting issues.

I’m an outlier to the curve, i get that.
    Example:
    I did clear 42 acres of ice yesterday with the boat in 1.75 Hrs. Ice was 2.75″ average thickness. I’d say that was a record breaking ice day for me. There are 4,000,000+ people living nearby, and i’ve never seen another person try to break that ice up. To each their own. I appreciate being the only one enjoying the outdoors in this case. Respect the differences. Point fingers at the outlier if you want, but he might look at ya like a sheep.

So, in conclusion, my question wasn’t in regards to 80 holes in 8″, but i was trying to understand how many holes in more ice, and what the “Average” fisherman drills per day. I never could sit comfortably over a hole without the fish activity I wanted.
    I won’t make fun of (Point out their shortcomings to the gas auger) electric augers anymore this year, but I cannot help but doing it once.

ryan hunt

Love mine as well. Wife bought it for a xmas gift. Curently have the 40v as well with a lite flite. Going to put the 40v up for sale. See no reason to keep it after running the 24v. Went through 16″ of ice just as good as the 40v. I actually used the lite flight that was on my 40v instead of the new one that came with it. Wanted a true feel comparison on a bit that was a year old and blades that are a year old. Cut just as good. Will it struggle a little in 3 feet of ice, time will tell, but any auger going through 3 feet of ice is going to get slowed down. I would rather lift the 24v versus the 40v to clear the shavings. All in all, this thing is amazing. Need to get the 40v on the market before they become obselete.

CaptainMusky

I agree. I also don’t understand why so many found gasoline augers difficult. Don’t recall spilling gas on anything or having starting issues.

Gas augers arent difficult I just got fed up with little issues. Put one on the back of an ATV or snowmobile and then drive 15 miles across LOW in -15 weather with snowdust. It gets in everything plugging the air filter, etc. I bought a cover and that basically solved that problem. Then comes the mixing gas and not going through much in a season and any other gas small engine not having the same mixture and carrying a small gas can that bounces around and spills everywhere in the sled or elsewhere. Solved that by getting the Trufuel cans.
    Next the crummy fuel lines and grommets. Seem to get rock hard and start to leak after a couple years of use. Got sick and tired of all these little things and once I am pissed off enough, I just replace it with something else so I went with the 40 volt Strikemaster. Has worked wonderfully so far.
    My son has been using it and drilling 20 or so holes a trip in about 10″ of ice and it hasnt even gone down 1 bar each time.

B-man

FBRM, no need to “make fun of electric augers.”

They have their place and will work for the majority of fisherman. If they want more holes, buy an extra battery. It’s like adding gas to the tank.

If you’re drilling 150+ holes a day in 36″ of ice, an electric wouldn’t work.

To be honest I don’t know how that would be humanly possible, or even leave you time to fish.

You’re a one in a million guy that would go through that much work to find a fish jester

Must have had something to do with why you quit ice fishing LOL

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.