24 V vs 36 V WX 1910

• James Wascko
    S.W Michigan for now.

Please post your experience with either a 24 or 36 V trolling motor system on a WX 1910 or 1900.

I see a lot of guys saying they run 24V 80lb and yet I read where many are going with a 36 101 and so forth.

I have no experience with either and am wondering how long on average would the 24 80 last through out a full day of fishing.

My catfish buddies with their 20 to 24 foot aluminum cat boats keep screaming….you need the 36 101 etc.

I just don’t want to start out with that ol nagging ….wish I would have syndrome. Lol

Thank you for your experienced advice.
    Have a awesome season
    James W.

skeeter20
    Winnie/Grand Rapids,MN

The 80# 24v is more then enough for the 1910. I used to run an 80# on my 2100 and my dad runs one on his 2060. Never an issue to run all day and if I am just rig fishing I would run 2 full days easy.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

My guide boat is a MX-2025 and I have run an 80lb, 24v Terova for the past 3 years.
    When I bought the boat, Dean Marshall suggested I install Odyssey batteries.
    This spring we’ve fished multiple days where we started at 7/8am in the morning and fished till 11:30pm at night. Used Spot Lock a lot during those days and never once ran out of battery power.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

what it means to have “enough” trolling motor power is very subjective to where, when, and how long a person fishes. for me, it’s important to be able to work into the wind/current, hold me within a cast of rock reefs in 2′ waves, have power to spare to maneuver around while casting for muskies in those conditions, and last all day during 15-hour marathons in Canada.

i was dissatisfied last year with the 24v performance on the WX1910 in those areas – it was adequate, but i found times when i wanted more power available and better battery life. i also found the 60″ shaft to be too short. i upgraded to a 36v and 72″ shaft and have been extremely happy. this also meant moving the battery charger to the space under the port jump seat so that the third battery would fit in the floor – the bonus is that this made the charger much easier to check without needing to climb in the boat, as i like to visually confirm it’s running after i plug it in.

here’s a link to a thread from last December that includes a lot of my observations after running the WX1910 for a year. i really like this boat for what i do!
    https://www.in-depthoutdoors.com/community/forums/topic/wx-1910-2/

hunterjoe
    Twin Cities

Just to add some info on top of Michael’s post about the charger and battery placement, I had SBC move all 3 of my batteries (I have 80lb) in the floor and the charger is in there as well. They moved the charger to the front and the 3 batteries behind. I can see about adding the pic if you would like to see it. But like Michael states, would be easier to see the charger if not in the floor but I do like my setup. I have more storage room under the seat now. I’m not as hard core as Michael so I went with the 80. Don’t have enough time on it to tell you if it is or isn’t enough but Dean suggested that’s what I should go with.

holmsvc
    SE ND

If you plan on pulling spinners and bouncers you may want the 36 volt.

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

If you fish lakes the most I would think 24v would be ok.? If you are a river guy 36v for sure.! … rrr

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

James,

What is the disadvantage of the 36 – volt? How much more we talking? sounds like you have a $60K plus boat. $500 to never ask yourself what if I had the 36 volt? In my mind the 36 will do everything the 80 will do and obviously more. SO $500 more for the 36 and $300 for a battery. If you have a used boat that you have $10K into then fine go cheaper but if you got $60K into it why talk about $800?

fisherman-j
    Northern MN

If possible, I would go 36v. Like a main motor, it’s always better to have that extra HP when needed. I had 24v in my 1910, but if I had the choice again, I’d go 36v – just for those windy, walleye chop days holding a spot and/or longer trolling runs.

Catfish_Nuggets
    NULL

I have the 1910 and simply put, you want the 36 volt. Running the batteries way down is not good for them and you never want to run out of power. I had to upgrade because my brand new series 29’s ran out of juice at about 5 hours in the 20 to 30 mph winds on the Big Stone opener this year. If you won’t use it all day in harsh conditions then maybe you could get away with the 24 volt but why risk it if you are making that kind of expenditure the cost is trivial for the peace of mind. I had to upgrade now and wish I would have done it when I purchased the boat. Make no mistake, this is a heavy boat and the react keel adds a lot of drag if you are making sharp turns further requiring more power.

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

I run 36 volt on my 1900 as well. I can battle big winds while walleye and muskie fishing or pull cranks at 2mph from dawn to dusk. 36 volts may be overkill for a lot of anglers, but for long days on big water, I would recommend it.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

James,

Are you planning on using it to help with trolling the great lakes? If so, I would opt for the longer shaft and 36 volts.

FDR

James Wascko
    S.W Michigan for now.

Michael C. Winther Hi,
    Thank you for the link to the other thread for it is an awesome read.
    Will get back to you and every one else soon.
    James W

James Wascko
    S.W Michigan for now.

Thank you every one for your time and input on this trolling motor topic. I guess I need to rethink things here.

Wanted to run xi5 motor guide and link it to a lowrance but it only goes to 60 in. Bummer.

Will run the boat at several small to medium reservoirs most but will hit lake Erie and Niagara river as well as other state destinations that I have always wanted to fish.

Waves on reservoirs are generally small but the constant Boat Wakes can bounce the bow a lot and I have already done the too short of a shafts thing on a past boat.

So thank you again
    James W

skeeter11

Hands down 36 volt. I tell everyone the one motor you never go cheap on is the trolling motor. This is what makes your fishing experience even better. Do yourself a favor. You won’t be disappointed.

James Wascko
    S.W Michigan for now.

Hands down 36 volt. I tell everyone the one motor you never go cheap on is the trolling motor. This is what makes your fishing experience even better. Do yourself a favor. You won’t be disappointed.

Skeeter11
    I would have to agree totally with going 36V. Just makes better sense at this time.

Phil Ames

Get the 36 volt system, you will probabley have an extra grand in it with the extra battery and upcharge on troll motor. get the 72″ shaft as well. While you are at take a look at the Stealth 1 charging system. This system is awesome, charges batteries on the water when the start battery has topped off. This thing is awesome. Don’t take my word for it. Do your research.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.